RCL-New Cruiser Questions

Hello! I've been researching for months, but still cannot find answers to these questions. I truly appreciate any information and advice you can offer. My extended family and I are sailing on Oasis of the Seas soon (age ranges 2-75 with a person that has physical disabilities). Thank you very much!

1. Coco Cay:  How does disembarking off the ship in Coco Cay work...I'm sure there are lines due to full capacity (and 2 ships being in port that day)...what time and where should I line up?

Any helpful items to bring to Coco Cay (besides the usual beach gear)?

Is there a tram stop at Chill Island? If so, where? 

2. MDR:  Is it only open for lunch on sea days? (I'm assuming it's open everyday for breakfast?)

Is there a place on the app I can find the lunch menu...I'm only seeing dinner menus.

3. Entertainment:  It's a little unclear as to which entertainment I need to make reservations for...I know the major shows, but what about things like laser tag and ice skating (not the show)?

How do I book them once on board...the tutorials I've found only show how to add it to your calendar, but not reserve a reservation.

4. Adventure Ocean: How does reserving time work...do you book times in advance or just show up? If you do just show up, how far from the start time to avoid it being full? 

My daughter is almost 3 and fully potty trained...I'm assuming they will still require her to be in the Royal Tots program?

5. General advice? Any other advice for us?

Once again, thank you so much for your expertise! So excited for our first RCL cruise! 

3 minutes ago, Alexxussss said:

Hello! I've been researching for months, but still cannot find answers to these questions. I truly appreciate any information and advice you can offer. My extended family and I are sailing on Oasis of the Seas soon (age ranges 2-75 with a person that has physical disabilities). Thank you very much!

1. Coco Cay:  How does disembarking off the ship in Coco Cay work...I'm sure there are lines due to full capacity (and 2 ships being in port that day)...what time and where should I line up?

2. MDR:  Is it only open for lunch on sea days? (I'm assuming it's open everyday for breakfast?)

Is there a place on the app I can find the lunch menu...I'm only seeing dinner menus.

3. Entertainment:  It's a little unclear as to which entertainment I need to make reservations for...I know the major shows, but what about things like laser tag and ice skating (not the show)?

How do I book them once on board...the tutorials I've found only show how to add it to your calendar, but not reserve a reservation.

4. Adventure Ocean: How does reserving time work...do you book times in advance or just show up? If you do just show up, how far from the start time to avoid it being full? 

My daughter is almost 3 and fully potty trained...I'm assuming they will still require her to be in the Royal Tots program?

5. General advice? Any other advice for us?

Once again, thank you so much for your expertise! So excited for our first RCL cruise! 

MDR is open for lunch on sea days. My favorite is the cafe though where they will make a salad, they have bags of chips, real ones, and have a place that makes very good roat beef sandwiches that are excellent or use to be. Been a while. 2nd choice is solarium for lunch or other meals, less crowded but a little on the healthy side stuff. 

Do be sure and have Johnny rockets for breakfast. Go early before its crowded. They added a few pay items ignore lol. The hash browns are a meal unto themselves and have onions and green peppers sauteed into them. Have a egg or bacon on the side. 

I love the food on oasis Las.

I think it has a playmakers not free I keep hearing I need to try next time. Not expensive. 

• Like 1

I’m a cruising novice (just awaiting our second cruise). But I think the two best snippets I picked up ahead of my first cruise:

1) take a multi-gang plug thing with you, that way you only need one adapter (if necessary) AND means you can charge phones and use a hair dryer etc at the same time.

2) depending on your room, might not be necessary, but we bought one of those multi pocket hanging things that you hang on the back of a door. That was really useful for extra storage in the bathroom.

• Like 1

Note: I was on the Serenade a few weeks ago -  the Royal App only showed one lunch in the MDR and no breakfasts until the day of the cruise (breakfast menu is the same each day).  Note that entertainment and activities had also been added, modified, or removed on the day we boarded.

• Like 1

Coco Cay is a dock so you can come and go as you please, no need to line up to get off the ship, unless of course you want to be first off, I'm sure there are some who are there as soon as the ship docks, we've never had to wait to get off the ship in Coco Cay.

The Tram stop is near Chill Grill.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexxussss said:

You'll receive a newspaper on your bed each evening -- plus a kids' newspaper, since you have a toddler.  It'll specify which deck /what time you can disembark for Coco Cay the next day -- it might vary from sailing to sailing.  Coco Cay is a docked port (as opposed to a tendered port, which means you'd have to boat back and forth), which everyone prefers!  You'll be able to walk back to the ship, if you want -- though it's a long walk.  

You must bring your Ship ID to disembark (even your toddler).  They run your card through a machine and mark you as "off the ship"; they're super serious about that.  

Definitely bring sand toys for your kiddo.  And sunscreen and towels, but you'd figure that one out for yourself.

You'll see signs for the trams.  With a toddler, definitely take the tram.  Do not stay in the shadow of the ship, where it's going to be crowded -- head to another beach a little further out.  

1 hour ago, Alexxussss said:

You need to go to Ocean Adventure on the first day to register her.  Once she's registered, you'll be set to drop her off.  

One of those things you don't know to ask:  Your daughter will be given a wristband, which she will wear the whole cruise.  The color will mark her as a member of the 3-year old group, and it will list your family's muster station; in case of an emergency, the Ocean Adventure staff would bring her to your muster station.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zimmerman said:

1) take a multi-gang plug thing with you, that way you only need one adapter (if necessary) AND means you can charge phones and use a hair dryer etc at the same time.

2) depending on your room, might not be necessary, but we bought one of those multi pocket hanging things that you hang on the back of a door. That was really useful for extra storage in the bathroom.

Your room will have 2 outlets for American electronics AND 2 outlets for European electronics.  

Instead of "splitting" an American outlet, order a European-to-American converter (from Amazon) and use the European outlets as well.  One item per outlet puts less strain on a limited electrical system.  

Additionally, you can charge your phone through the TV port and possibly your in-room phone port.  

No need for an over-the-door shoe holder.  The rooms are chock-full of storage -- we don't even need half of what's built in, but we're only two people.  You can see excellent previews of your room on You Tube to get an idea of what to expect.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Your room will have 2 outlets for American electronics AND 2 outlets for European electronics.  

Instead of "splitting" an American outlet, order a European-to-American converter (from Amazon) and use the European outlets as well.  One item per outlet puts less strain on a limited electrical system.  

There are two different devices:  An "adapter" and a "converter".  Adapters don't change the voltage - they just "adapt" the European 220v socket to accept an American 120v plug.  These can be used with American devices that accept a wide range of voltage, like many phone and computer chargers, but they MUST state that range, such as "100v-250v 50hz/60z".  If not, you will fry whatever you plug in there (like fans, flat irons, etc.).   A converter will take the European voltage input and actually convert it for use with an American 120v/60hz device.  

This is an adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/European-VINTAR-International-American-Outlets/dp/B07TSYKKQ5

This is a converter:

https://www.amazon.com/DOACE-C11-Straightener-International-Transformer/dp/B07DQLM1P1

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

There are two different devices:  An "adapter" and a "converter".  Adapters don't change the voltage - they just "adapt" the European 220v socket to accept an American 120v plug.  These can be used with American devices that accept a wide range of voltage, like many phone and computer chargers, but they MUST state that range, such as "100v-250v 50hz/60z".  If not, you will fry whatever you plug in there (like fans, flat irons, etc.).   A converter will take the European voltage input and actually convert it for use with an American 120v/60hz device.  

This is an adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/European-VINTAR-International-American-Outlets/dp/B07TSYKKQ5

This is a converter:

https://www.amazon.com/DOACE-C11-Straightener-International-Transformer/dp/B07DQLM1P1

Ah, I used the wrong term -- but the point is, don't overload the American outlets while the European outlets sit there empty.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

You'll receive a newspaper on your bed each evening -- plus a kids' newspaper, since you have a toddler.  It'll specify which deck /what time you can disembark for Coco Cay the next day -- it might vary from sailing to sailing.  Coco Cay is a docked port (as opposed to a tendered port, which means you'd have to boat back and forth), which everyone prefers!  You'll be able to walk back to the ship, if you want -- though it's a long walk.  

You must bring your Ship ID to disembark (even your toddler).  They run your card through a machine and mark you as "off the ship"; they're super serious about that.  

Definitely bring sand toys for your kiddo.  And sunscreen and towels, but you'd figure that one out for yourself.

You'll see signs for the trams.  With a toddler, definitely take the tram.  Do not stay in the shadow of the ship, where it's going to be crowded -- head to another beach a little further out.  

You need to go to Ocean Adventure on the first day to register her.  Once she's registered, you'll be set to drop her off.  

One of those things you don't know to ask:  Your daughter will be given a wristband, which she will wear the whole cruise.  The color will mark her as a member of the 3-year old group, and it will list your family's muster station; in case of an emergency, the Ocean Adventure staff would bring her to your muster station.  

The OP said that the daughter is NOT 3 years old yet.  She will not be allowed in Adventure Ocean; only in the Royal Tots program, which the OP surmised.

Additionally, you can charge your phone through the TV port and possibly your in-room phone port.  

No need for an over-the-door shoe holder.  The rooms are chock-full of storage -- we don't even need half of what's built in, but we're only two people.  You can see excellent previews of your room on You Tube to get an idea of what to expect.  

The cabins on the Oasis are NOT - I repeat, NOT - "chock-full of storage."  They are, in fact, woefully lacking in storage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zimmerman said:

I’m a cruising novice (just awaiting our second cruise). But I think the two best snippets I picked up ahead of my first cruise:

Done - thank you!

Ah, I used the wrong term -- but the point is, don't overload the American outlets while the European outlets sit there empty.  

There won't bevan overload issue. They all should run off the same breaker

• Like 1

I often cruise with friends in wheelchairs, so I can answer many questions related to mobility, if you have them. 

Regarding the over-the-door organizer, I use one even though I cruise solo in my room -- it's not about having enough storage space, but about knowing exactly where everything is. I hang mine on the outside of the bathroom door, and it can keep all kinds of things organized and readily visible.   Instead of opening every single drawer/cupboard trying to find the sunscreen or Q-tips, you just look at the organizer and can see exactly what you're looking for.  

The organizer can hold all kinds of toiletries (hand lotion, powder, makeup, hair accessories, hair potions) but also things like sunglasses, phone chargers, chewing gum/mints, pens/notepads... literally ANYTHING smaller than a shoe that you might want to bring.  By having a dedicated spot for everything and everything easily visible, you reduce the clutter on the vanity/desk and no frantic searching for items that you put "someplace safe" that now you can't remember.  (Pro tip: Pack the items in the organizer and then roll/fold it up and place the whole thing in your suitcase, then remove it when you get there and all those little things are unpacked. And learn from my mistake -- don't forget to pack the hooks to go over the door!!!)

I also like to use a USB hub/splitter so I have several USB ports for charging things, since almost anything rechargeable uses a USB cord these days.  One outlet can charge a couple phones, a tablet, and a camera all at the same time.

These magnetic hooks are great -- they stick to the walls and ceilings and are strong enough to hold a wet garment on a hanger to dry overnight.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I often cruise with friends in wheelchairs, so I can answer many questions related to mobility, if you have them. 

Regarding the over-the-door organizer, I use one even though I cruise solo in my room -- it's not about having enough storage space, but about knowing exactly where everything is. I hang mine on the outside of the bathroom door, and it can keep all kinds of things organized and readily visible.   Instead of opening every single drawer/cupboard trying to find the sunscreen or Q-tips, you just look at the organizer and can see exactly what you're looking for.  

The organizer can hold all kinds of toiletries (hand lotion, powder, makeup, hair accessories, hair potions) but also things like sunglasses, phone chargers, chewing gum/mints, pens/notepads... literally ANYTHING smaller than a shoe that you might want to bring.  By having a dedicated spot for everything and everything easily visible, you reduce the clutter on the vanity/desk and no frantic searching for items that you put "someplace safe" that now you can't remember.  (Pro tip: Pack the items in the organizer and then roll/fold it up and place the whole thing in your suitcase, then remove it when you get there and all those little things are unpacked. And learn from my mistake -- don't forget to pack the hooks to go over the door!!!)

I also like to use a USB hub/splitter so I have several USB ports for charging things, since almost anything rechargeable uses a USB cord these days.  One outlet can charge a couple phones, a tablet, and a camera all at the same time.

These magnetic hooks are great -- they stick to the walls and ceilings and are strong enough to hold a wet garment on a hanger to dry overnight.  

Terrific-

Thank you!