The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 22nd, 2022

richwmn

I'm back, long day of working??? 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Your picture of the bird on the fence reminded me of an old Peter Paul and Mary song

lyrics-

There was a bird, sitting on a fence

"Once I courted a handsome wench.

She took fickle and from me fled, and 

ever since then my heads been red".

well

here's one answer to a mystery

On the television series Hee Haw, comedian/writer Archie Campbell was well known for using spoonerisms in his skits, most famously the “Rindercella” skit https://www.youtube.com/wa

Also if you are into listening to the Capitol Steps, they do an entire monologue of political information in spoonerisms.  We saw them when in DC, and once in Atlanta with a discussion about Para-Sailin  (sarah palin).  Loved it!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I spoke to someone in Louisville KY last night, her husband had gone to the post office, as they had not received any mail all week.  The post office told him that they did not have enough employees to deliver the mail, the packages, and the junk mail (third class mail)  so they are rotating, and should get their mail every other week, until they can hire people.

Have you ever heard that you cant get your package that was shipped UPS or Fedex because they have no one to deliver it?  I haven't.  Maybe they pay way too much.  So no one wants to deliver mail?

It's not just little towns in the west, this is happening in middle America.  I know plenty of seniors that dont have money that would enjoy delivering, maybe not standing and sorting, but driving around delivering half of the day.  Would have to be better than not getting your mail. 

first they took away the stamp machines, so that employees would have jobs, and then they get rid of the jobs, maybe they want every one to get post boxes at the station, so that don't have to do anything.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Wasted trip to the blood-draw site. Half the people in the waiting room weren't wearing masks -- required by state regulation here -- or had them pulled down, and I rescheduled for Monday.

Well, I certainly cannot "like" this post.  That's terrible.  I would have left too.  Better luck on Monday.

• Like 4

Hi all.  Just checking in.  Internet has been dismal at best.  Full info when I get home.  We are having a blast!   Weather was amazing in Eidfjord.  Sue and I found our retirement home there.  It is a bit better f a fixer upper, but we should be able to spend most of our budget on renovations.64C3215C-403E-467E-9A3B-3595AF43ABBA.thumb.jpeg.d9454a37f4ba8fd24506ca919f1b82e5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Interesting on the mail delivery. Apparently our post office is having issues also, as some days the mail comes as late as 8 or 9p.

When that happens, I wish they would just stop at 6 and pick up the next day. There’s just no way of knowing when it arrives, and when it’s that late, the chance of it staying in the mail box and being stolen is pretty high. We have a high rate of mail theft running here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mail Woes: Like many of you, our local post office is hiring! It used to be considered a 'good' job, but I guess not so much now. Since moving last month, we are still missing some items (like our new drivers licenses). I spoke with a supervisor who advised me that we have a super-dooper mail carrier on our route and that she sometimes works it too. Perhaps destroying all that sorting equipment wasn't such a great idea after all.

In the big scheme of things though, my whinging seems pretty petty. We are fortunate to have broadband that works and can access most things that way. We have only had one brief (one hour-ish) power outage during this heat, so are living in air-conditioned accommodation. Gas prices are coming down.

And Navigator advises us that it's only 125 days until be board the Nieuw Statendam!! 💓

Thanks to all the Dailyites for your contributions. They are appreciated in this household each and every day.

-Cat

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We're back from DH's PT session.  After the therapist did an evaluation, that will be the last one.  Until DH can get treatment for the NPH, therapy won't really improve the balance and walking issues.  We're waiting for a call from the hospital in Dallas, and of course, it's Friday afternoon.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, I'm able to really, REALLY empathize with you.  My favorite ex (boyfriend for 30+ years, not husband) has NPH.  However, he refused the shunt a few years ago.  I visited with him last year and it just tore me up, remembering the guy he used to be.  He has the classical triad of symptoms.  I spent a week with him.  But his caretaker told me that a day after I left he asked her when I was coming to visit.  That's how bad the short-term memory loss is in the untreated cases.  So I'm glad that you've opted for the shunt.  It's the only hope that your DH has.  There is NO OTHER way of treating it. Praying that it works for you.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, I'm able to really, REALLY empathize with you.  My favorite ex (boyfriend for 30+ years, not husband) has NPH.  However, he refused the shunt a few years ago.  I visited with him last year and it just tore me up, remembering the guy he used to be.  He has the classical triad of symptoms.  I spent a week with him.  But his caretaker told me that a day after I left he asked her when I was coming to visit.  That's how bad the short-term memory loss is in the untreated cases.  So I'm glad that you've opted for the shunt.  It's the only hope that your DH has.  There is NO OTHER way of treating it. Praying that it works for you.

Thanks for the information.  I'm sorry your ex-boyfriend is in such bad shape.  Since we saw you on Koningsdam, there has been a noticeable change for the worse.  The dizziness, brain fog and short term memory have gotten worse.  We feel very fortunate that our PCP's PA immediately ordered the brain CAT scan when he heatd about the dizziness and brain fog.  We have our fingers crossed 🤞 for an appointment soon with a neurosurgeon.  Normally, no one wants any type of brain surgery, but we both want it soon so DH is himself again and we can get our lives back.  Our PCP said the shunt should take care of all DH's symptoms.

Lenda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

We have been on the go since awakening this morning. First was a hearty Scottish breakfast. After that we had reservations to visit the Whisky Experience which is on the Royal Mile near the entrance to Edinburgh Castle. Glutton for punishment we then went on a long guided walking and food tour which was very nice which we definitely exceeded our max daily steps.

Yesterday, after our late arrival we did some more walking around followed by a nice nice shared dinner amongst the three of us of fish and chips, Wellington Haggis, Skink Chowder, grilled prawns and fresh sea scallops.

We we’re able to hold out til 8:00 PM before going to bed in a coma state!

Tomorrow is Holyrood Castle, Secrets Of the Royal Mile and tour of Edinburgh Castle.

Phew!

Our hotel is directly under Edinburgh Castle.

Due to our schedule and time zones I have yet to read the Daily but thankful it’s there.

Have a great weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.99ae07bdf81bad691a94e1acd9b96007.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3ff1c065d2b7bd7b4a7308d30f1174e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1dd0f3e8090455a3f31770e1c07aca79.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9d9318315296f10904e993468cc08792.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d1def4287ef829ef92516c4841bda762.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d7c4466f42a973e4f8a20b79f59a178f.jpeg

• Like 11