# of advance dining reservations for DV5 category

mary_228

Welcome to Viking Ocean As the above  post  states , you get 1 reservation to Manfredi ( Italian) and Chef Table( tasting  set menu rotating every three  days) . If yo do not get the time you want  when your window opens, don't worry. Once on board. you will be able to secure reservations in each  venue.

The Restaurant (MDR) does not need reservations. 

Just show up and you will be seated. sometimes around 7pm there might be  a little wait but not a problem. World Cafe( buffet) is also available for dinner. Go down  at 5 pm and see if you want  to eat there for dinner. They have great seafood nights. 

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

For our upcoming cruise in August our dining reservation window opened (DV6 cabin) on June 24. MVJ just kept say “Reservations not open at this time. “ This went on for days. Someone in our rollcall finally contacted Viking and was told that all the reservations had already been taken by the higher ranking cabins. So no advance reservations for those of us in steerage. Very irritating when Viking seems to promise to provide access to specialty dining before the cruise. ☹️

3 hours ago, mary_228 said:

I am new to Viking and am trying to learn the ropes. My dining window opens in a few days and I'd like to know what to expect. 

We also book DV cabins and have never made a dinner reservation pre-cruise. To be honest, we don't know what's for dinner tomorrow night, never mind a few months in advance.

If we fancy eating at one of the alternative restaurants on any given day, we check on the telly and make a reservation. Never failed to get one within 1/2 hr of our preferred time. Some nights, we even stop by the host/hostess desk and request a table. Never waited more than 1/2 hr for a table.

Note - our experience is World Cruises, which tend to be more relaxed.

• Like 1

Welcome to Viking.  We also had a DV, and didn't book in advance on MVJ.  Never had a problem getting seated in Manfredi's, even without onboard res, but in Dec 2021, ship had only about 400 pax.

Wanted to see what was on offer in MDR before deciding where to go.  Had dinner at Manfredi's 3 times on 11 night voyage.  (same menu every night).  Will definitely go to World Cafe for dinner next cruise, as so many pax said how really fine it is.  Only had lunches there before.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mary_228 said:

I am new to Viking and am trying to learn the ropes. My dining window opens in a few days and I'd like to know what to expect. 

Here is where to find the information that has been shared above on the Viking website:

On the header, choose SHIPS

image.thumb.png.e517496caae90140f62dc186516d25ce.png

On the SHIPS page, chose any ship; it's the same for all ships:

image.png.23b18f582e8f19cd0ad116cd0eedcdad.png

Scroll down the page until you get to the Stateroom Features.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crimmj said:

For our upcoming cruise in August our dining reservation window opened (DV6 cabin) on June 24. MVJ just kept say “Reservations not open at this time. “ This went on for days. Someone in our rollcall finally contacted Viking and was told that all the reservations had already been taken by the higher ranking cabins. So no advance reservations for those of us in steerage. Very irritating when Viking seems to promise to provide access to specialty dining before the cruise. ☹️

Unacceptable answer! Contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com and see what they can do to make it right. It is past the time when they can blame it on Covid protocols because they have dumped most of them already. The more complaints they get about this new practice, the sooner they will make things right.

It says on the website: 1 guaranteed priority reservation at each alternative restaurant 60 days prior to departure.

In the meantime, keep checking with on MVJ. People change their minds. People have to cancel their cruise unexpectedly.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Welcome to Viking.  We also had a DV, and didn't book in advance on MVJ.  Never had a problem getting seated in Manfredi's, even without onboard res, but in Dec 2021, ship had only about 400 pax.

Wanted to see what was on offer in MDR before deciding where to go.  Had dinner at Manfredi's 3 times on 11 night voyage.  (same menu every night).  Will definitely go to World Cafe for dinner next cruise, as so many pax said how really fine it is.  Only had lunches there before.  

On recent cruises with ships not filled to capacity, we were able to get numerous Manfredi's and Chefs Table reservations at a desirable time.  On earlier full boat cruises not the case unless we wanted to eat at 8:30 or later. 

Manfredi's is always the same menu other then a daily pasta and fish special.  The Chefs Table Menu changes every 2-3 days.  The Restaurant's menu left side is available daily while the right side changes daily.

• Like 1

Our experience over a lot of time onboard is exactly as Andy describes.   Unless it is a special date for you do you really know what you want for dinner 6 months from now??  Heck, we haven't even decided on tonight.  We have never, let me repeat never, in all that time not gotten what we wanted with possibly a 30 minute time change every now or then.  In 99% of the time we decide the day before or the day of around lunch time and make arrangements on the cabin telly or the restaurant desks.  Can't count the times we just walked up to the check in desks at Manfredi's or Chef's Table and asked for seating and were immediately seated.  Worrying about eating 6 months out just blows my little mind.  Much more stuff to worry about out there like the number on your next birthday cake......😱🍸

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Our experience over a lot of time onboard is exactly as Andy describes.   Unless it is a special date for you do you really know what you want for dinner 6 months from now??  Heck, we haven't even decided on tonight.  We have never, let me repeat never, in all that time not gotten what we wanted with possibly a 30 minute time change every now or then.  In 99% of the time we decide the day before or the day of around lunch time and make arrangements on the cabin telly or the restaurant desks.  Can't count the times we just walked up to the check in desks at Manfredi's or Chef's Table and asked for seating and were immediately seated.  Worrying about eating 6 months out just blows my little mind.  Much more stuff to worry about out there like the number on your next birthday cake......😱🍸

I can’t remember, Jim — have you taken “regular” Viking cruises or just world cruises? There do seem to be some differences.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I can’t remember, Jim — have you taken “regular” Viking cruises or just world cruises? There do seem to be some differences.

I am a very limited source.  Two Viking trips, one Viking ship.  I need to get out more.  9+ months is just a start....🍸

Thanks all for your help. 

Just to clarify, on my sailing, I am only able to choose the restaurant 60 days out, not 6 months. Not sure which category gets that! The ship is apparently very full as well, and we only have a few sea days on the saiing on which I would like to prioritize the Chef's Table. Finally, we have friends in a higher category who have booked their tables and we wish to dine with them, so I am going to try to pick their time/date if available.

2 minutes ago, mary_228 said:

Thanks all for your help. 

Just to clarify, on my sailing, I am only able to choose the restaurant 60 days out, not 6 months. Not sure which category gets that! The ship is apparently very full as well, and we only have a few sea days on the saiing on which I would like to prioritize the Chef's Table. Finally, we have friends in a higher category who have booked their tables and we wish to dine with them, so I am going to try to pick their time/date if available.

All easy to do once onboard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I am a very limited source.  Two Viking trips, one Viking ship.  I need to get out more.  9+ months is just a start....🍸

Viking might have called your last cruise the "Ultimate World Cruise", but we all called it the Ho-Ho cruise, with 700 + hopping on and off every 2 weeks.😁

• Like 1