AON travel insurance

jstrutton

Anyone have any positive feedback from using the carnival travel insurance which happens to be handled by AON Affinity?  We had a terrible time via charlotte on our flight over to London.  We missed our connection due original flight getting in 3 hours late.  American Airlines couldn’t get us for several days so we ended up booking a replacement flight via Expedia.  We just started the trip interruption process and are reading some really bad reviews that this insurance basically never pays anything.  So just wondering what everyone else experiences have been.  

jay

Someone posted on here the other day they've been waiting months and months for them to process their claim. So take that for what you will. 

In general I find travel insurance purchased directly through the cruise line/airline/resort/etc to be way too expensive for what it is.

• Like 3

My parents had to cancel cruise due to medical illness-I did the claim for them-they got back everything and it only took one week for the whole process-got their checks in the mail very quickly.

And it was with AON/Carnival cruise insurance.

Edited by karansue
  • Thanks 1

Let us know how this turns out. I’m not sure this comes under Trip Interruption unless you missed part of the cruise. Trip Interruption pays for unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses and return transportation if you must cut your trip short, but it does not sound like that is what happened.

It probably comes under Trip Delay, but that pays only $500 in the Carnival policy. Nevertheless, you should get a refund from the airline for your cancelled flight. 

Did you talk to an insurance representative for instructions/approval before booking replacement flights?

Edited by Babr

You shouldn't have any problems IF what you are claiming is a "Covered" reason.

Many people think or thought (me included) that since I adulted and bought travel insurance, that I was free from anything that might go wrong. Fortunately, I never discovered how wrong I was until I started reading the insurance board.

Babr is correct in that if you filed under the wrong coverage, they could deny based on that fact. They may not say, hey, this is Trip Delay not Trip Interruption, and just automatically correct it for you. Also, if the airline gives you a credit for the missed connection, the insurance will consider that as you are being made whole.

Good luck with your claim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jstrutton said:

Anyone have any positive feedback from using the carnival travel insurance which happens to be handled by AON Affinity?  We had a terrible time via charlotte on our flight over to London.  We missed our connection due original flight getting in 3 hours late.  American Airlines couldn’t get us for several days so we ended up booking a replacement flight via Expedia.  We just started the trip interruption process and are reading some really bad reviews that this insurance basically never pays anything.  So just wondering what everyone else experiences have been.  

jay

I am two months on a simple claim that is the least complicated ...went the doc on the ship..4 pills end of claim.  Sent the copy of the bill. I called they said, yes we have all that is needed. It is still in process.  How easy it should have been they don't care.

2 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

I am two months on a simple claim that is the least complicated ...went the doc on the ship..4 pills end of claim.  Sent the copy of the bill. I called they said, yes we have all that is needed. It is still in process.  How easy it should have been they don't care.

Are you talking about Carnival insurance? It is secondary to your regular health insurance. Did you file with them first and include the Explanation of Benefits with your claim form from AON?

2 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

To further clarify what Babr is saying,

First understand that Carnival insurance is Secondary when it comes to medical coverage. What does that mean? If you have Medicare or any other health insurance, You must apply to them for reimbursement. Then after they pay their share (or send you a denial letter), then you file with AON.

So, by going with what you have posted, it could very well mean your claim is going to be denied. Or, the claim is so small they just overlook the secondary part.

Second, all insurances are regulated by each individual State. Yours would be the Division of Financial Regulation. Found here.   https://dfr.oregon.gov/insure/Pages/index.aspx           Each State has a requirement in which claims are to be addressed. For me, it's 30 days after acknowledgement of receipt. File a complaint with them. That should help get the ball rolling.

the airfare paid less the value of applied credit from an unused travel ticket, to return home, join or rejoin the original Travel Arrangements limited to the cost of one-way economy airfare or similar quality as originally issued ticket by scheduled carrier, from the point of destination to the point of origin shown on the original travel tickets. In no event will the Company reimburse You for the cash value of Your airline ticket(s) purchased with frequent flier miles.

this was under a second bullet in their trip interruption section.  This is why  I was claiming the new airfare to “join”  the original cruise.  Some of you are correct in that trip delay is limited to $500, but this seems to be not limited by that number.  We will see what they say. I do have a medical claim as well as I would be shocked if they didn’t ask for our medical claim with our insurance so they can be secondary.  That is pretty normal.  

Their 21 business days goes to early August. I’m sure they are not goin* to rush anything and I’ll be surprised I see anything before thanksgiving or even Christmas. 

Trip Interruption pays up to 100% of trip cost to provide for unused nonrefundable expenses and transportation. The question I have is whether it is a covered reason. See # 9 under Trip Interruption - delay caused by inclement weather which results in missing 50% of your trip. That did not happen.

I just don’t know if replacement flights are covered because it does not seem to fit the conditions defined in the policy. That is why I’d like to know how this turns out.

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/Carnival_TX_05_21.pdf

14 hours ago, klfrodo said:

To further clarify what Babr is saying,

First understand that Carnival insurance is Secondary when it comes to medical coverage. What does that mean? If you have Medicare or any other health insurance, You must apply to them for reimbursement. Then after they pay their share (or send you a denial letter), then you file with AON.

Thank you for that, I was just about to post if Medicare/Medicaid covers on board illness/injury for US based cruise lines.

I'm dual enrolled so what the Mediare don't cover the Medicaid does.

11 minutes ago, InNeedOfSaltWater said:

Thank you for that, I was just about to post if Medicare/Medicaid covers on board illness/injury for US based cruise lines.

I'm dual enrolled so what the Mediare don't cover the Medicaid does.

Review that.

I don't believe Medicaid covers healthcare costs outside of the US either.

For Travel Insurance purposes, if you have to file a claim AND your travel insurance is "Secondary", THEN you must file with Medicare first, receive the denial letter, THEN you can file with the travel insurance.

There are some Medicare Supplement plans that do cover outside of the US, but these are limited to $50K lifetime maximum.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

I usually  buy carnivals insurance ever since we had travel interruption due to Hurricane Matthew. I didn't have it on that trip and had to pay $$$$ out of pocket for new last minute flights. So right now we have 3 cruises (2 Carnival and 1 Royal) booked and one land vacay booked in the next 6 months (the joy of recent retirement). I'm considering an annual policy with Allianz. Any opinions on this company vs AON?

23 minutes ago, ober134 said:

I usually  buy carnivals insurance ever since we had travel interruption due to Hurricane Matthew. I didn't have it on that trip and had to pay $$$$ out of pocket for new last minute flights. So right now we have 3 cruises (2 Carnival and 1 Royal) booked and one land vacay booked in the next 6 months (the joy of recent retirement). I'm considering an annual policy with Allianz. Any opinions on this company vs AON?

Carnival insurance is actually underwritten by Nationwide. AON just processes the claims. Both Nationwide and Allianz are good companies.

You are dealing with the differences between single trip vs annual. The medical will definitely be better with Allianz. You will not be covered for pre-existing conditions because you have already booked your trips, but Carnival does not cover pre-existing conditions either.

Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption with Allianz come in a range of options for dollar limits at additional cost. Whatever you choose applies for the entire year, no matter how many trips you have. It is possible to use most or all of that in one claim, leaving you exposed to risk for the remaining trips.

The decision is not so much which company is better as it is what type of coverage meets your needs.

17 hours ago, Babr said:

Trip Interruption pays up to 100% of trip cost to provide for unused nonrefundable expenses and transportation. The question I have is whether it is a covered reason. See # 9 under Trip Interruption - delay caused by inclement weather which results in missing 50% of your trip. That did not happen.

I just don’t know if replacement flights are covered because it does not seem to fit the conditions defined in the policy. That is why I’d like to know how this turns out.

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/Carnival_TX_05_21.pdf

Will let people know how this comes out.

But to answer your question, our original flight was seriously delayed due to a huge storm in charlotte that shut it down for a couple of hours. So that part was caused by inclement weather.  Now the second part, the London flight leg (which is the one we missed) was going to be over 8 hours out of a total of probably 11 hours of total flight time from Myrtle beach to London.  So the second part is covered as we would have missed probably close to 80% of our trip.  

I’m pretty sure they will argue just the opposite as you gave described but hopefully they will see it my way.  Time will tell.

6 hours ago, jstrutton said:

Will let people know how this comes out.

But to answer your question, our original flight was seriously delayed due to a huge storm in charlotte that shut it down for a couple of hours. So that part was caused by inclement weather.  Now the second part, the London flight leg (which is the one we missed) was going to be over 8 hours out of a total of probably 11 hours of total flight time from Myrtle beach to London.  So the second part is covered as we would have missed probably close to 80% of our trip.  

I’m pretty sure they will argue just the opposite as you gave described but hopefully they will see it my way.  Time will tell.

I hope so, too. If the second leg from Myrtle Beach to London was a result of the weather shut down, you should be OK; but there are all kinds of stipulations in the language of the policy so it is hard to know. 

It would be useful to others who could very well find themselves in the same situation to know how this turns out. Good Luck.

Thanks. I think you actually are dealing with a missed connection, which is covered by an entirely separate provision not in Carnival insurance. I’ve been trying to make Trip Interruption apply, but I’m not sure it does.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, mz-s said:

Someone posted on here the other day they've been waiting months and months for them to process their claim. So take that for what you will. 

In general I find travel insurance purchased directly through the cruise line/airline/resort/etc to be way too expensive for what it is.

We've been waiting 2 months... so disgusted and there is nobody to discuss it with other than the people that are obviously reading from a script and couldn't answer a question if their life depended on it.

Just now, mlh0500 said:

We've been waiting 2 months... so disgusted and there is nobody to discuss it with other than the people that are obviously reading from a script and couldn't answer a question if their life depended on it.

I filed a non-cruise-related travel claim last April.  The insurance agency I bought the policy from has a "no-complaints" guarantee.  After not getting a decision for 2 months, I contacted the agency about it.  It may have been just a coincidence, but the claim was settled that day.

Months and lots of fighting to get reimbursement after my mom passed on a Carnival cruise last October. Carnival on the other hand went above and beyond in helping us. We were on a different cruise across the country.  I would book through insure my trip on future cruises.  

On 7/25/2022 at 11:47 AM, Babr said:

Carnival insurance is actually underwritten by Nationwide. AON just processes the claims. Both Nationwide and Allianz are good companies.

You are dealing with the differences between single trip vs annual. The medical will definitely be better with Allianz. You will not be covered for pre-existing conditions because you have already booked your trips, but Carnival does not cover pre-existing conditions either.

Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption with Allianz come in a range of options for dollar limits at additional cost. Whatever you choose applies for the entire year, no matter how many trips you have. It is possible to use most or all of that in one claim, leaving you exposed to risk for the remaining trips.

The decision is not so much which company is better as it is what type of coverage meets your needs.

For medical, I'd look at an annual policy from Geoblue. You can find a policy that would cover pre-existing conditions.

The Carnival/AON insurance is group insurance, and the older you are, the more sense it makes.

Depending on the state you live in, Carnival includes cancel for any reason "insurance".

Just another quick update.  The original email that I got from AON indicated it could take up to 21 business days to complete.  Ironically, the 21st day was 1 August, so I received another email exactly on 1 August from them indicating that it will take longer since they have a backlog.  I’m sure it was a automatically computer generated email and really has little to do with actual workload.  

So we continue the waiting game.  

Jay

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, staceyglow said:

I filed a non-cruise-related travel claim last April.  The insurance agency I bought the policy from has a "no-complaints" guarantee.  After not getting a decision for 2 months, I contacted the agency about it.  It may have been just a coincidence, but the claim was settled that day.

I recently saw a post on another travel site re: filing a complaint with the insurance commission in your state of residence.  I spoke with them this week and filed a claim.  She said she felt confident I would be receiving my $ soon 🙂  This agent has been working there for 10 years and has the experience I was hoping for.  Now if they only come through !  

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, RJAM3 said:

It has now been over 90 days....AON is worthless..yes I did turn in every doc. asked for they just don't pay...at least in what I would consider a reasonable length of time..they do not respond to email and phoning is just a waste of time....we will get to it when we get to it..what an attitude