Princess Now Soliciting Families w/Children

Daniel A

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

I just tried looking to see if we had this offer in the UK and couldn't find anything. Has anyone else seen this for UK customers?

The fine print in the flyer says it's available to legal residents of North America.

20 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The promotion offers "up to 35% off plus kids sail free!" 

Nothing new. Our kid sailed for $1 on Princess before the pandemic.

So, you are not anti-child, but you don't want them in the hot tub? Hmmm. 

19 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not anti-child.

I wasn't about to spend time in a hot tub with some young pre-teen children. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Nothing new. Our kid sailed for $1 on Princess before the pandemic. 

This new promotion is a good opportunity for families to book cruises for next year.  I just don't remember ever getting a flyer in the mail soliciting families.  So maybe this isn't a new direction for Princess.

It's already happening. There were a lot of kids on a Discovery sailing to Alaska at the end of July, perhaps a little envious of the NCL Encore and Ovation of the Seas we saw, with skydiving and go-karts and bumper cars. I believe the switch to medallions and an app is also an attempt to try to capture a younger demographic, otherwise it's difficult to see much of a future in 20 years, when the last boomers are dying out. Celebrity is going in that direction more strongly, and HAL is making something of an attempt, with more music venues, and the promo videos for all the lines show 50-something foodie couples. I'll believe it's working when I no longer see a costco parking lot of mobility scooters at the entrance to the MDR on HAL or Princess. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rj59 said:

It's already happening. There were a lot of kids on a Discovery sailing to Alaska at the end of July, perhaps a little envious of the NCL Encore and Ovation of the Seas we saw, with skydiving and go-karts and bumper cars. I believe the switch to medallions and an app is also an attempt to try to capture a younger demographic, otherwise it's difficult to see much of a future in 20 years, when the last boomers are dying out. Celebrity is going in that direction more strongly, and HAL is making something of an attempt, with more music venues, and the promo videos for all the lines show 50-something foodie couples. I'll believe it's working when I no longer see a costco parking lot of mobility scooters at the entrance to the MDR on HAL or Princess. 

But, in 20 years, the 40's and 50's will be in their 60's and 70's. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

This new promotion is a good opportunity for families to book cruises for next year.  I just don't remember ever getting a flyer in the mail soliciting families.  So maybe this isn't a new direction for Princess.

Probably more related to the amount of mailers the cruise companies are sending out post pandemic than the offer itself.  The number of mailers I am getting from the various cruise lines these days is a bit extreme. 

Almost everyone has kids sail free at some point. The kicker is, it's usually not when they are out of school (ie, spring break). If you want to avoid kids, just sail when most of them are in school. So don't sail Thanksgiving, Christmas break, President's week, last couple of weeks in March or Easter week. The last ship we did before the pandemic was HAL and they had a kids sail free promo during break, which is surprising. However, since there is not much to do for the kids except a kids' club, the count was very low. So, even in high times, pick a ship that is more classic without the big water slides, rope courses, race tracks, etc. That is just about any Princess or HAL ship. 

I do know what you mean about the hot tubs. It's a pet peeve of my husband too. We were just on Discovery to Alaska and there about 500ish kids but it didn't seem like it. There were so many hot tubs all over the ships that he was able to find one to relax in. I don't 'mind well behaved kids on a ship and I'll have to say, the ones on this cruise were pretty good.

If you really want to avoid kids, try the new Virgin Cruise Line. No kids allowed. 🙂 

Cruising without kids during covid was great.  I try to only cruise when school is in anyway.  I don't hate kids but I'd rather not see them.  If I was a kid, princess would be the worst.  Way to many old slow people taking up space, and nothing to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trey420 said:

Cruising without kids during covid was great.  I try to only cruise when school is in anyway.  I don't hate kids but I'd rather not see them.  If I was a kid, princess would be the worst.  Way to many old slow people taking up space, and nothing to do.

Our kids cruised during Covid and had a fantastic time!  

On 7/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Daniel A said:

I just received a flyer from Princess soliciting "Make your next family vacation special"   The promotion offers "up to 35% off plus kids sail free!"  Offer ends 8/30/22.  It sure looks like an experiment to see how going after a younger demographic would work out.  The fine print in the flyer states the offer is "on a limited availability, and is capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability)"   What are your thoughts?  Is this good or bad?

Have you seen the newest television commercial for Princess? Not a senior citizen in sight. Couples (both straight and gay) are represented. Would same sex couples in what your implying is your hot tub bother you too?  Same with the last two editions of Princess Circle magazine. Children's activities are there too.  Sounds like Princess is 'soliciting' for new passengers, lively ones to add energy to the ships.

16 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Have you seen the newest television commercial for Princess? Not a senior citizen in sight. Couples (both straight and gay) are represented. Would same sex couples in what your implying is your hot tub bother you too?  Same with the last two editions of Princess Circle magazine. Children's activities are there too.  Sounds like Princess is 'soliciting' for new passengers, lively ones to add energy to the ships.

Who said anything about sexual preferences?  The implication in your post is truly offensive.  If I was a parent and saw my 12 year old son or daughter alone in a hot tub together with at 60 year old man, that kid would be away from that guy pronto!  If you don't see any problem with an adult hanging out in a hot tub with children who aren't his, then I can't help you.  

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Who said anything about sexual preferences?  The implication in your post is truly offensive.  If I was a parent and saw my 12 year old son or daughter alone in a hot tub together with at 60 year old man, that kid would be away from that guy pronto!  If you don't see any problem with an adult hanging out in a hot tub with children who aren't his, then I can't help you.  

But you stated kids were occupying all of the hot tubs and you never were able to go in. Multiple kids everywhere 24/7? What about adults filling hot tubs and children not being able to use due to crowds? There is an adult area called The Sanctuary or there is Hollywood Pool Club, which has no charge. And no, you are implying there's a problem with that. 60 year old man is most likely the dad of one of the kids, at least on our cruises.

16 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

But you stated kids were occupying all of the hot tubs and you never were able to go in. Multiple kids everywhere 24/7? What about adults filling hot tubs and children not being able to use due to crowds? There is an adult area called The Sanctuary or there is Hollywood Pool Club, which has no charge. And no, you are implying there's a problem with that. 60 year old man is most likely the dad of one of the kids, at least on our cruises.

Re-read the post.  I said if I was the parent of the kids and they were in the hot tub with a 60 year old man, I'd consider that to be a problem.  If I'm the dad seeing a 60 year old man in a hot tub with my kids, I'd know for sure that man wasn't their dad.  Also, my original post specifically referred to children not being supervised by their parents.  I'm not about to get up at 2AM so I can climb into a hot tub,  24/7 really??

On 7/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, Daniel A said:

IThe fine print in the flyer states the offer is "on a limited availability, and is capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability)"   What are your thoughts?  Is this good or bad?

It isn't bad and it will only be marginally successful. Princess would like to lower the average age of their passenger for who knows what reasons, but as long as they build the kind of ships they do, they will not get the RCL/NCL crowd.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:45 AM, Steelers36 said:

The kids only sail free in the same cabin.  This would not have been of interest to us as we got a separate cabin for the kids when they were young.

Same for us. What kind of a vacation is it to be with your kids in same cabin for a week!

On 7/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, pjwaz said:

I wish the kids sail free would apply to a single parent and child in the same cabin. Looking to take my daughter and grandson on Alaska cruise in June. 

I'd seriously call Princess and see if that is possible. It makes sense to me.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:02 AM, rj59 said:

It's already happening. There were a lot of kids on a Discovery sailing to Alaska at the end of July, perhaps a little envious of the NCL Encore and Ovation of the Seas we saw, with skydiving and go-karts and bumper cars. I believe the switch to medallions and an app is also an attempt to try to capture a younger demographic,

I think you are right that Princess would like a lower age demographic, but I am not sure they are going about it the right way.

My grandkids, 16 and under currently, are already cruise veterans and way too savvy to agree to a Princess Cruise with gramps; Disney, NCL or RCL and we are good to go.

23 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but HAL does kids for free too.  I am not sure if I recall if it was pre-pandemic.  My brain is starting to forget what that was like now.  I am not sure if it changes behavior all that much.

HAL is in the same dilemma as Princess. They are not sure who they want to be, RCL or Oceania. I think they are nudging towards RCL/NCL, but they need to really up their new ships to play in that space.

Yikes, I hope they aren't nudging toward RCL/NCL.  Those are really the ones I am trying to avoid.  I enjoy a more quiet, laid back cruise without all the excitement of all the "fun" stuff.  I think it's great for the kids though.  I just NEED a less busy, chaotic environment or I probably would not cruise.  I have not cruised Celebrity, but I think I would like to try them.  (sorry, I didn't mean to take this thread off topic!)

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

Me and my husband are well cruised with Princess and we can’t wait to take our baby with us on her first cruise next year when she will be 14 months old!
It’s a time for us to spend quality time together as a family, exploring the world, showing her the world and enjoying all the Princess amenities! They cater very well for babies, including providing baby food if requested, and the new Splash Zone on the Caribbean Princess looks amazing - Princess are extremely family friendly, they just don’t flaunt it publicly as much as other cruise lines so as to appeal to all audiences!

We can’t wait to continue to enjoy our Princess cruises!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yikes, I hope they aren't nudging toward RCL/NCL.  Those are really the ones I am trying to avoid.  I enjoy a more quiet, laid back cruise without all the excitement of all the "fun" stuff.  I think it's great for the kids though.  I just NEED a less busy, chaotic environment or I probably would not cruise.  I have not cruised Celebrity, but I think I would like to try them.  (sorry, I didn't mean to take this thread off topic!)

You didn't take it off topic at all.  Good contribution!

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Our kids cruised during Covid and had a fantastic time!  

That's great, I'm talking about no kids though.  Don't want to see em.  Talking about when no kids were allowed on princess for a bit it was a beautiful thing.  That's all I was saying. 

If Princess doesn't market to some younger people, they will be out of business in the future. I think HAL marketed themselves as the "old people" cruise for so long that now they are literally giving away cabins. I just got an email for free oceanview cabins on dozens of good cruises from now until next spring. Our 11 year old daughter has been on 12 cruises including the crazy, over the top RCCL Oasis, the very subdued HAL Rotterdam and recently Discovery Princess to Alaska. When she is older and can decide on what cruise line to sail for herself, I'm glad that she won't exclude Princess or HAL, because she had a good experience on them. For the health of the cruise lines, you should be happy about that too.

Edited by Chasing Summer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chasing Summer said:

If Princess doesn't market to some younger people, they will be out of business in the future. I think HAL marketed themselves as the "old people" cruise for so long that now they are literally giving away cabins. I just got an email for free oceanview cabins on dozens of good cruises from now until next spring. Our 11 year old daughter has been on 12 cruises including the crazy, over the top RCCL Oasis, the very subdued HAL Rotterdam and recently Discovery Princess to Alaska. When she is older and can decide on what cruise line to sail for herself, I'm glad that she won't exclude Princess or HAL, because she had a good experience on them. For the health of the cruise lines, you should be happy about that too.

Our kids have been on every one of our cruises and now they are both at university, they still want to come along - maybe it’s because they still aren’t paying for themselves 😏. One day they may just pay for us 🤞 😄.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, startedwithamouse said:

No hot tubs in Hollywood pool area. Though it is adults only and had a nice pool. 

On 7/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, Daniel A said:

This evokes different scenarios depending on the facts....large hot tub with mixture of adults and kids (which is usually the case) not creepy at all. Small hot tub where adult goes in while child is alone, yeah that's creepy. But the child shouldn't  be alone in the first place, and it's rare for a child or even adult for that matter to be alone in any hot tub, so it's kind of a non starter. 

Edited by vjmatty