Cruise with Confidence Program & COVID Pre-travel Testing PROBLEM?

Cruise with Confidence & COVID Pre-travel Testing

Trying to figure something out…. Based on some random legal postings of pending legal actions

RCL MANDATES that you have a ‘Proctored Covid Test’ within 48 hours BEFORE Cruise.

‘Cruise with Confidence’ program MANDATES that you CANCEL BEFORE 48 hours BEFORE the Cruise in order to get Future Cruise Credit (NOT A REFUND).

What happens then if your PLAN A (Online Proctor Service) does not meet their obligations and no local options are available in the next ‘less than’ 48 hours?

At the point you find out there is a problem... you are already past the notification threshold for the ‘Cruise with Confidence’ program?

7 minutes ago, Project-College said:

At the point you find out there is a problem... you are already past the notification threshold for the ‘Cruise with Confidence’ program?

Correct - testing is a difficult enough of an issue that some don't book at all.

Edited by Biker19

12 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Cruise with Confidence & COVID Pre-travel Testing

Trying to figure something out…. Based on some random legal postings of pending legal actions

RCL MANDATES that you have a ‘Proctored Covid Test’ within 48 hours BEFORE Cruise.

‘Cruise with Confidence’ program MANDATES that you CANCEL BEFORE 48 hours BEFORE the Cruise in order to get Future Cruise Credit (NOT A REFUND).

What happens then if your PLAN A (Online Proctor Service) does not meet their obligations and no local options are available in the next ‘less than’ 48 hours?

There are 2 different policies.

CWC and Cancellation for Covid

CWC does not cover testing positive

Cancellation for Covid does

You can cancel for covid if you test positive at any time.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL REFUND AND CANCELLATION POLICY FOR COVID-19 The following information applies to residents of North America who book passage on Royal Caribbean International (referred to herein as “RCI” or the “cruise line”) sailings scheduled during the nationally declared Public Health Emergency involving COVID-19. Except as specifically stated below, or as otherwise provided in the Cruise/CruiseTour Ticket Contract (the “Ticket Contract”) for your cruise, the standard cancellation policies and penalties described in the Ticket Contract apply. The below updated policies are effective from the Effective Date at the bottom of this document and, except as otherwise noted, apply to all bookings on RCI cruises scheduled to sail between the Effective Date and April 30, 2023, inclusive. Cruise Cancelled By RCI* If your cruise is cancelled by RCI or boarding is delayed by three (3) days or more and you elect not to embark on the delayed cruise or a substitute cruise offered by RCI, you are entitled to a refund of the cruise fare paid to RCI, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”). Cruise Booking Cancelled By Guest* • If you, or someone in your Traveling Party, cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to RCI. If you had close contact with a positive or suspected COVID19 case within 10 days of embarkation, and RCI deems you are unfit to travel, you, and anyone else in your Traveling Party who cancels, are eligible for a refund of the cruise fare paid to RCI, or an optional FCC equal in value to the same. To qualify for a refund or the FCC, if your COVID19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by RCI, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to RCI. • If you report, or we identify, that you may have been exposed to or are likely to have been infected by COVID-19 within 10 days of embarkation, we may require that you and others in your Traveling Party do not travel to the departure port. This is in order to prevent the transmission of COVID19. Anyone effectively denied boarding in these circumstances will be entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to RCI.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

I don't believe the OP @Project-College is worried about a positive test.  I believe the issues is what if RCCL will not accept the chosen proctored test, i.e. you show up to board with a negative test, but they decline to accept that test because it lacks something the require (CLIA#, ambiguous working, too much hand-written info, etc.)

Edited by rudeney

29 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I may be incorrect but if you test positive they won’t let you board. That’s not the same as you cancelling.

Sorry if I did'nt present it correctly....

My concern had nothing to do with testing positive.  If I, or a member of my family, test POSITIVE I know, and understand, that I would not be allowed on board and refunds/FCC are addressed outside of CWC.

My question was, since recently there appears to have been a flurry of litigation having to do with 'defaults' by online Proctoring services... what happens if that service defaults and no other testing options are available within the less than 48 hour window, as at THAT POINT... you can't cancel anymore with the CWC Program?

1 minute ago, rudeney said:

I don't believe the OP @Project-College is worried about a positive test.  I believe the issues is what if RCCL will not accept the chosen proctored test, i.e. you show up to board with a negative test, but they decline to accept that test because it lacks something the require (CLIA#, ambiguous working, too much hand-written info, etc.)

Close but not exactly.... You are right, I am not referencing a POSITIVE test but rather the inability of a customer to get a PROCTORED test within the less than 48 hours remaining before the cruise (as a default by the online Proctoring service would cause).

I talked to my TA and they said call RCL.  I just finished with a merry go round with RCL (three switches) where that said I had tyo go BACK to my TA to find out the financial remedies of such a situation (in other words, they could not confirm a refund/FCC/or SOL?

5 minutes ago, Project-College said:

My concern had nothing to do with testing positive.  If I, or a member of my family, test POSITIVE I know, and understand, that I would not be allowed on board and refunds/FCC are addressed outside of CWC.

My question was, since recently there appears to have been a flurry of litigation having to do with 'defaults' by online Proctoring services... what happens if that service defaults and no other testing options are available within the less than 48 hour window, as at THAT POINT... you can't cancel anymore with the CWC Program?

You lose your money.

• Haha 1

So you are worried that you won't be able to get a proctored test at all?  Most, if not all, of the proctor services work on a smartphone.  Are you not going to be anywhere in the two days prior to boarding (remember, it's not 48 hours but two calendar days) where you can do a proctored session?

4 minutes ago, Project-College said:

There are always ways to pay for a test. Might cost more than you want to pay, but you have 2 days to test. A doctor or pay CVS the stinking $139 etc.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

You lose your money.

Thats what it appears, based on litigation pending, has happened?  If that risk is there, again hopefully small PROBABILITY but SIGNIFICANT IMPACT, I cancel now!  I just need to get a qualified answer from RCL?

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

There are always ways to pay for a test. Might cost more than you want to pay, but you have 2 days to test. A doctor or pay CVS the stinking $139 etc.

They do offer "limited" testing at the port, but given that they are testing all the unvaccinated kids, they may not have capacity, so I would not rely on that.  And I think it costs $100+.  I guess as a last-ditch option, that offers a small chance of getting you on the ship.

1 minute ago, Project-College said:

Thats what it appears, based on litigation pending, has happened?  If that risk is there, again hopefully small PROBABILITY but SIGNIFICANT IMPACT, I cancel now!  I just need to get a qualified answer from RCL?

There are many ways to get a test, you just have to decide if you are willing to pay a premium to get a test done if your cheaper options fall through.  If it is causing you this much stress now, cancelling sounds like the right choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Project-College said:

I just need to get a qualified answer from RCL?

No, you don't.  Royal doesn't give a rip whether CVS or your online proctor cancels your scheduled test.

If you're so worried that everyone around you and online will cancel Covid testing, then cancel your cruise right now.  If, as others have suggested, you'll be able to find a valid test pretty easily, then stop worrying about "litigation" and just make it happen if it comes to it.

Just now, rudeney said:

They do offer "limited" testing at the port, but given that they are testing all the unvaccinated kids, they may not have capacity, so I would not rely on that.  And I think it costs $100+.  I guess as a last-ditch option, that offers a small chance of getting you on the ship.

Thanks and that is what the tester told my friend who was at Bayonne.  Or more accurately they said, 'chance in hell of same day as we have too many kids'.   At this point, CVS didn't seem to have same day available and neither did walgreen... maybe I should ask my Doc if he would watch me take the Rapid test and givce me the proper docs (at least as Plan B)?

2 minutes ago, Project-College said:

maybe I should ask my Doc if he would watch me take the Rapid test and givce me the proper docs (at least as Plan B)?

The best plan B is what RCI recommends and sells - the eMed kit.

Plan C is the mobile lab in the parking lot in Bayonne.

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

@Project-College, where are you seeing the 48 hour requirement?  I thought it only had to be done starting 2 days (not 48 hours) before the cruise.

On the RCL sight it said a Friday Sailing (8/5) the test could NOT be done prior to Wednesday.  My Online Proctored test is scheduled for the first available time on Wednesday 8am (wife and I) and Boys (2) at 8:30am.  If the service DEFAULTS.... that where my clock starts for PLAN B. 

3 minutes ago, Project-College said:

On the RCL sight it said a Friday Sailing (8/5) the test could NOT be done prior to Wednesday.  My Online Proctored test is scheduled for the first available time on Wednesday 8am (wife and I) and Boys (2) at 8:30am.  If the service DEFAULTS.... that where my clock starts for PLAN B. 

What proctored test are you using where you schedule the tests like that?  I've used the ones sold by RC, and when you are ready (which can be at 12:01AM 2 days before the cruise), you hop online (unscheduled) and somebody is available to proctor your test within a couple of minutes.

Edited by time4u2go

5 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Thanks and that is what the tester told my friend who was at Bayonne.  Or more accurately they said, 'chance in hell of same day as we have too many kids'.   At this point, CVS didn't seem to have same day available and neither did walgreen... maybe I should ask my Doc if he would watch me take the Rapid test and givce me the proper docs (at least as Plan B)?

If you can get to your doc, why can't you do an online proctored test with eMed, OnPoint, or RapidTestAndTrace?