Surprise "Upgrade Fairy Visited".......to Princess Grill......Any Advice.....

BklynBoy8

Well yesterday we got a email to complete some items on the Voyage Personaliser and noticed that our Cabin Assignment was visited by the "Upgrade Fairy" since the last time I looked.

I verified it on our Booked Guests page and so delighted of the Upgrade to P2 - Princess Grill Class for the first time on the Queen Mary 2. Last time we enjoyed Princess &/ Queens was on the QE2. Enjoying 14 days is exciting for my DW and I. 

Since we will be experiencing the PG for the first time on the Mary 2, is there any advice from fellow Cruise Critics we would be interested in. Perks, in the Cabin, Grill Restaurant and etc...

Thank you in advance....

• Like 4

Enjoy your upgrade. You will have access to the Grills Concierge, and in the morning they have coffee and sweet rolls, if you want a pre breakfast snack. 

You also have access to the Grills Lounge, opposite the Queens Grill entrance, and it is a lovely place to take afternoon tea, or have a pre-dinner cocktail. 

And you have access to the Grills terrace, aft of the deck 11 cabins, and there are refreshments served in the afternoon, while you sun or take advantage of the hot tubs.

Enjoy your voyage. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations @BklynBoy8!   One person we always looked forward to in PG on QM2 was the maitre d', Atilla.  Unfortunately I think I remember reading that he has retired from Cunard. 

A few years back, the Grills Lounge also did an after-dinner string concert. (This was in 2018 on an eastbound TA).  It was quite enjoyable, especially with an accompanying cognac, port, or Irish coffee.   Not sure if the concert still happens, but you could still enjoy the drinks.  As others have mentioned, afternoon tea is also very nice in the Lounge.

Best wishes for your voyage!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Enjoy your upgrade. You will have access to the Grills Concierge, and in the morning they have coffee and sweet rolls, if you want a pre breakfast snack. 

You also have access to the Grills Lounge, opposite the Queens Grill entrance, and it is a lovely place to take afternoon tea, or have a pre-dinner cocktail. 

And you have access to the Grills terrace, aft of the deck 11 cabins, and there are refreshments served in the afternoon, while you sun or take advantage of the hot tubs.

Enjoy your voyage. 

Many thanks BigM!

Can shorts be worn during Breakfast and Lunch in the Princess Grill? Since the rest of the day will be outside activities and touring?

1 minute ago, sfred said:

Congratulations @BklynBoy8!   One person we always looked forward to in PG on QM2 was the maitre d', Atilla.  Unfortunately I think I remember reading that he has retired from Cunard. 

A few years back, the Grills Lounge also did an after-dinner string concert. (This was in 2018 on an eastbound TA).  It was quite enjoyable, especially with an accompanying cognac, port, or Irish coffee.   Not sure if the concert still happens, but you could still enjoy the drinks.  As others have mentioned, afternoon tea is also very nice in the Lounge.

Best wishes for your voyage!

sfred,

Thank you!

Yes we look forward to tea in the Grill Lounge. We truly enjoyed tea there in the past on the QE2.

We will able I guess still select other type of teas freshly brewed like when we were on the QE2 in their lounge. Elegant difference from Queens Room and very enjoyable.

8 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Can shorts be worn during Breakfast and Lunch in the Princess Grill? Since the rest of the day will be outside activities and touring?

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We will able I guess still select other type of teas freshly brewed like when we were on the QE2 in their lounge. Elegant difference from Queens Room and very enjoyable.

Yes, no worries on shorts at breakfast or lunch.  Unfortunately QM2 doesn't have the outside grills courtyard dining area, like QE/QV.

And yes in the Lounge you'll get a tea menu with the range of tea choices.  All teas are served loose-leaf in a pot with a strainer for the cup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This week I found tea in QM2 Grills lounge an underwhelming experience. The room itself is an awkward shape, and rather dark,  not helped by gloomy decoration. The chairs are quite uncomfortable. There was no tea menu. There were no sandwiches but only larger rolls which were difficult to eat. Cakes are nice though, but I much prefer the experience in the PG on the Vistas.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This week I found tea in QM2 Grills lounge an underwhelming experience. The room itself is an awkward shape, and rather dark,  not helped by gloomy decoration. The chairs are quite uncomfortable. There was no tea menu. There were no sandwiches but only larger rolls which were difficult to eat. Cakes are nice though, but I much prefer the experience in the PG on the Vistas.

Thanks @exlondonerfor the more recent update.  Sounds like a significant downgrade from previous.  There used to be the tea menu listing many different tea choices (around eight or ten types as I recall), a range of finger sandwiches served by the lounge waiters, and lots of different cakes and sweets.

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Well yesterday we got a email to complete some items on the Voyage Personaliser and noticed that our Cabin Assignment was visited by the "Upgrade Fairy" since the last time I looked.

I verified it on our Booked Guests page and so delighted of the Upgrade to P2 - Princess Grill Class for the first time on the Queen Mary 2. Last time we enjoyed Princess &/ Queens was on the QE2. Enjoying 14 days is exciting for my DW and I. 

Since we will be experiencing the PG for the first time on the Mary 2, is there any advice from fellow Cruise Critics we would be interested in. Perks, in the Cabin, Grill Restaurant and etc...

Thank you in advance....

Congratulation to your upgrade!

May I ask how far in advance, how many days/weeks before the cruise, you got the assingment?

Enjoy your upgrade. Jim and I loved our PG experience on our July 1 cruise. You have already been given the advice/info I would. 

I really second the comment about the concierge. Having seen the departing passengers struggling with getting transportation after their cruise as we boarded, she really helped us with her suggestion and booking so that all of us, including 2 family members not in a grills suite, could depart together and not have to struggle getting ground transportation. It worked like a charm. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spirit rev said:

Enjoy your upgrade. Jim and I loved our PG experience on our July 1 cruise. You have already been given the advice/info I would. 

I really second the comment about the concierge. Having seen the departing passengers struggling with getting transportation after their cruise as we boarded, she really helped us with her suggestion and booking so that all of us, including 2 family members not in a grills suite, could depart together and not have to struggle getting ground transportation. It worked like a charm. 

Jane,

Hope you enjoyed the 4th Sailing. And so happy you enjoyed the PG class also.

Bev thought asking a general questions would give us all the advice we are getting. I hope you don't mind me to ask you if we have any questions of your experiences from Brooklyn CT to On Board in PG Category. It great to have someone that walked the footsteps as we will.

We expect the Lounge to be very helpful when the Deck 2 can draw a line down there from all decks. 

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Bev thought asking a general questions would give us all the advice we are getting. I hope you don't mind me to ask you if we have any questions of your experiences from Brooklyn CT to On Board in PG Category. It great to have someone that walked the footsteps as we will.

Eddie, 

Feel free to ask away. 

Jane 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, imacruizer said:

Congratulations on your upgrade, Eddie.  I hope that you and Bev have a wonderful voyage.  I hope that you are able to locate the QM2 Cruise Critic Logbook while you are onboard.  Best wishes.

Imacruizer,

Thank you! I always remember you when I enter the Gangway of the Queen. 

Hopefully the book is in place so I can easily find it and bring it to the CC Meet & Greet the first day at sea.We will plan a get together and encourage all to add their thoughts. Some are repeaters and some are Newbie's. So their words will sail with the QM2 always.

I know there are plenty of pages still in the book as I remember it. I PROMISE to report back on return or if I can post while on board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Order Dover sole for dinner as often as possible.  If nothing appeals on the lunch menu, order a hamburger.  Take full advantage of the Grills Concierge.

Thank you tv24.

We do have it on our list of other items to tableside preparation made. Hamburgers sounds good it at the Boardwalk since so many other items are listed. But will keep in mind.

So much we have heard that the Grill Concierge can be so helpful over the Purser. 

So we are good forward to the Lounge for tea not that we have anything against the elegant Queens Room Tea time. 

BTW---- If we have guests we meet on board, can we invite them in the Grill Lounge for tea or just us?

Same as for Cocktails?

Attending the Grill Terrace, do they serve Old Style Bouillon? What other goodies may be offered? 

Thank you again.

Well it must be my lucky day, got thru Cunard without any wait to add and correct something in the VP.

Extremely nice and professional service on this call.

Wish everyone got this response.

37 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

BTW---- If we have guests we meet on board, can we invite them in the Grill Lounge for tea or just us?

Same as for Cocktails?

I wouldn't, the Grills Lounge isn't very big.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Thank you tv24.

We do have it on our list of other items to tableside preparation made. Hamburgers sounds good it at the Boardwalk since so many other items are listed. But will keep in mind.

So much we have heard that the Grill Concierge can be so helpful over the Purser. 

So we are good forward to the Lounge for tea not that we have anything against the elegant Queens Room Tea time. 

Same as for Cocktails?

Attending the Grill Terrace, do they serve Old Style Bouillon? What other goodies may be offered? 

Thank you again.

Years ago, on my first QM2 crossing, I met a couple who were traveling in Queens.and they invited me to cocktails in the Grills Lounge.  No one kicked me out even though I looked like a Steerage passenger.  Honestly no one ever asks class status in the lounge.

• Thanks 1