2 tours in 1 day with a 30 min gap? @ Highlands (Invergordon), Scotland

SempreMare

Is it problematic to take 2 tours in 1 day with a 30 min gap? 

In Highlands (Invergordon), Scotland, I have booked: 

9:00 am - 12:30 pm 
Portmahomack & the Ancient Picts (Purchased)

1:00 pm - 4:30 pm 
Inverness Scenic Drive (Included)

Is it safe to assume that at the end of the 9:00 am Ancient Picts tour, I would be dropped off near where the Inverness Scenic Drive departs? 

And that 30 min transition time is not a big deal?   (First time Viking cruiser here...)

In May we had a couple of tours which we had 30 mins between excursions.  We would get off the bus rush on ship and eat a sandwich from the deck 1 bar and be back in plenty of time for the next tour.  

We did one with 15 mins between but had to book on the ship and were told if first tour was running late, we would still be charged.  It was close but we made both tours!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Is it problematic to take 2 tours in 1 day with a 30 min gap? 

In Highlands (Invergordon), Scotland, I have booked: 

9:00 am - 12:30 pm 
Portmahomack & the Ancient Picts (Purchased)

1:00 pm - 4:30 pm 
Inverness Scenic Drive (Included)

Is it safe to assume that at the end of the 9:00 am Ancient Picts tour, I would be dropped off near where the Inverness Scenic Drive departs? 

And that 30 min transition time is not a big deal?   (First time Viking cruiser here...)

It is unusual for Viking to allow only 30 mins between tours. I have not been able to do that in the past. They usually insist on an hour. However, if your bookings have been accepted I would definitely go for it.

It’s very unusual for tours to come back late, and if you were very unlucky you would only be missing the included tour and not the paid one. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

I just looked at my final invoice form.  There is an “anchor” symbol if it is a tender port…Invergordon does NOT have an anchor symbol, so I would believe a 30 minute separation could be doable….but I wouldn’t dilly-dallie between ‘em! LOL!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Thank you @jrkearand @Clay Clayton 

Would you happen to know if Invergordon is a tender port? 

I keep trying to find that info on MyVikingJourney, but then I think I read here it's not there. 

(it's only on the PDF statement) 

I don’t know.  As another poster mentioned it is typically on your invoice. If you don’t have one, and you booked directly with Viking there is a way to see it in MVJ.  If you used a travel agent, you have to request it through them. 

Either way, it’s a good idea to have it with your just in case there are any issues when you embark. An example being you have received the Silver Spirits package as a perk but the ship doesn’t show it, you can show them on your invoice that you do.  

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t know.  As another poster mentioned it is typically on your invoice. If you don’t have one, and you booked directly with Viking there is a way to see it in MVJ.  If you used a travel agent, you have to request it through them. 

Either way, it’s a good idea to have it with your just in case there are any issues when you embark. An example being you have received the Silver Spirits package as a perk but the ship doesn’t show it, you can show them on your invoice that you do.  

And a good reminder to check your Guest Invoice to be sure you get what you thought you booked  or as a perk - SSP, stateroom #, OBC, port stops, port times, dock vs tender etc. - and to periodically check it.  We have had Port changes, port time changes, dock vs tender changes, a hotel change in a pre cruise extension and they appeared on our Guest Invoice before we heard about it.

• Like 2

We did 2 excursions on a river cruise that were 30 min apart.  There was some discussion with the cruise director about being able to do them both.  We were not the only couple doing both, so the guide on the first excursion was aware of it and moved us along.  We got back to the ship long enough to scarf down a quick lunch and catch the second bus.  The dining staff was aware of this, so had a list of things for lunch to grab that could be quickly brought out.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps not so much a matter of whether or not it's feasible time-wise, but also whether or not you really WANT to do 2 in one day! Yours total 7 hours. On the Chairman's cruise, I think we had two days where we did two excursions on each that each were around 4.5 hours. Got through it, but sure was glad for a sea day after those! I can't quite sightsee all day anymore like I used to be able to. Best of luck with it. I agree that Viking will make it work if the times as listed are correct. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SempreMare said:

I keep trying to find that info on MyVikingJourney, but then I think I read here it's not there. 

Depends on the number of ships in port, but Invergordon does have 2 berths suitable for Viking ships.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 2:08 AM, SempreMare said:

I can’t remember which BIE cruise you’re on, but according to the Invergordon Port Authority, Mars is docking on 9/24 at one of their piers (Quay West). You can check here for your cruise: https://pocf.co.uk/cruise/

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I can’t remember which BIE cruise you’re on, but according to the Invergordon Port Authority, Mars is docking on 9/24 at one of their piers (Quay West). You can check here for your cruise: https://pocf.co.uk/cruise/

Wow, thank you @Twitchly!

is there a mega list somewhere of allll the official cruise port websites? Similar to the one you posted above?

I remember googling the sites for all the ports in Alaska to see which ones were going to be the most crowded with other cruise ships on Seward to Vancouver with Holland. 

Edited by SempreMare

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

is there a mega list somewhere of allll the official cruise port websites? Similar to the one you posted above?

Not totally comprehensive, and it requires you to select country then port, but this one is a 'go-to' site for us for any port due to its very useful info. Most of the individual port descriptions have a link to the port calendar.  🍺🥌

https://www.whatsinport.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1