Missing Bags

Desperate to Sail

For those couples who have experienced delayed or lost checked baggage, has it generally involved all the pieces or just a single bag? Trying to think through the best “break the glass” plan for our upcoming cruise on the Silver Dawn.

If all the checked baggage goes missing, then cross-packing isn’t going to solve the problem. Thanks for the input.

I think it's unpredictable. When my suitcase was lost (solo traveler) there was a ship-bound couple in the same situation who lost all their bags. Happily all were recovered before the ship left port.

1 hour ago, Desperate to Sail said:

For those couples who have experienced delayed or lost checked baggage, has it generally involved all the pieces or just a single bag? Trying to think through the best “break the glass” plan for our upcoming cruise on the Silver Dawn.

If all the checked baggage goes missing, then cross-packing isn’t going to solve the problem. Thanks for the input.

I can tell you from personal experience. Four weeks ago we left the Spirit in Italy, because we were business class we checked in two large suitcases and two carry on luggage. When we arrived in London only the large suitcases appeared.

After 4 days at home only one of the lost cases appeared, the other is no where to be seen, probably never to come home! its now been 30 days, despite phone calls and tons of form filling no one has any idea where it is, very frustrating, some lovely things in there we cannot replace.

Since then I discovered air tags, you put them in your case and track them on your phone, too late for us, they are about 99 dollars from Amazon. The first time ever we have lost a bag and never seen it again.

I know its different because we had our cruise however, still upsetting.

Edited by fudge

A bit of a dissertation on "lost bags".

First - recognize the difference between a delayed bag and a "lost" one.  Lost involves cases where the baggage tag has been separated from the bag itself, or if the wrong tag was put on the bag.  To mitigate the missing tag, be sure that the handles on your bag are well-anchored and that you have not overloaded the bag which might create a handle breaking off.  The wrong tag is happening more and more with self-serve kiosks.  If the agents are putting on the tags, be sure that the correct tag is put on your bag.  It's easy for them to switch by mistake.  Double check before the bag goes down the conveyor.

Delayed bags - there are generally two reasons for this.  Either the bag doesn't get on the originating aircraft or they don't make a connect along the way.  Let's deal with the first case.

Just because you check in by the deadline for the flight does not mean the bags will go with you.  A couple of things could happen.  If security screening for the bags is backed up, bags may be held up in the queue and not get loaded.  This is especially true in locations where screening is a priority.  Further, you might have a situation where the overall luggage checked in is greater than the flight can safely carry.  If so, bags get left behind.  This is most often the case with small "commuter" aircraft such as the CRJ and ERJ-145s. 

As for the connection - missed bags on connections are usually due to close timing between flights.  Sure, you don't like sitting around an airport - though that book you read onboard can just as easily be read in an airport seat.  But if you have a choice between a short connect and a longer one, take the longer one.  It covers you better if there are operational delays on your first segment.  Sure, you can run through the airport to make your connection, but can your bags run as fast?  Pad your schedules and you stand a better chance.

Other connection thoughts:  Avoid airports where there are known issues with luggage.  AA at Philadelphia is one spot.  Heathrow is another.  Currently, Amsterdam is in the news because of broken baggage handling systems.

Miscellaneous luggage thoughts:  Don't fly with black suitcases.  Your bag gets lost in a sea of them if an airline is trying to find your specific bag.  Don't put a ton of identifying ribbons, pompoms and the like on the bag - they can get caught up in the baggage handling equipment.  Take a picture of your bag before flying, so you can show it to the baggage agent if you have a missing piece.  Put a distinctive sheet of paper inside your bag that lists your names, record locator, flight itinerary, contact info and where the bags need to go (such as naming ship and next port).  I keep a template for this on my computer and just change the flight info for each trip.  And finally, get some custom baggage tags from https://tagsforbags.com  - they are excellent for finding your bags in a sea of luggage, and can help airline personnel find your bag if it needs to be pulled out for a reroute in case of irops.

Happy to answer any other questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I have to disagree with your interpretation of lost.

In our case we found out that the two hand luggage never made the plane in Rome for London, in fact the plane was delayed over an hour so they had plenty of time to make it. When we knew the bags were in Rome they were told to re route them to our home in Cyprus. 

When one bag got home it was clearly labelled from Rome to Cyprus via Istanbul, the tags they put on at check in are so strong it takes a strong man to get them off.

We suspect they are still in Istanbul with hundreds if not thousands of other bags, unfortunately there are not enough staff to check them all, in fact I really think they dont care.

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

To mitigate the missing tag, be sure that the handles on your bag are well-anchored and that you have not overloaded the bag which might create a handle breaking off.  The wrong tag is happening more and more with self-serve kiosks.  If the agents are putting on the tags, be sure that the correct tag is put on your bag.  It's easy for them to switch by mistake.  Double check before the bag goes down the conveyor.

I check and double check the destination on the tags put on my luggage.  I don't use the kiosks.  It's too easy for a traveler to make a mistake.  If possible, and I do this when embarking a cruise, if the bag has two handles, put a tag on both handles.  

"Cross Packing" it's worth doing.  Also, if your carryon has room, which ours do, we carry a spare outfit, depending on climate.  Shorts, tee, underwear for warm weather, and pants, long sleeve tee for cold weather.  Tech fabrics roll very small.  It can buy you a day, and depending on your destination, when we have had late luggage,  a H & M, or Zara are in a lot of big cities, and you can usually find some neutrals there.  AND, know your daily Per Person trip insurance late bag allowance, and USE IT.  

Daughter and I had our bags delayed for 3 days on a trip to France, and we sure knew it was 200$ per day, and spent it.  You dont know if they are going to ever get you, and at least you will be supplied for your cruise and not have to wear ship branded polos from the logo shop onboard!!!

Making sure you put a piece of paper with your flight info and name inside the bag is a great idea.

We always watch carefully to make sure our bags are tagged with proper flight info. And a photo of your bag is really helpful---and know the brand name and size for filling out missing bag forms.

Always have the app for the airline you are flying, and ALWAYS check on your bags before heading to baggage claim after landing.

We checked in 3 hours early at Vancouver with Priority tags at AA. Made sure they had the proper flight info. Waiting to board they showed up in the AA app as checked in.

Landing at our destination---no bags. We went to the baggage claim counter and filled out appropriate paperwork. In the AA app they showed as being put on a later UA flight arriving the next morning. We figured they would be brought to our house the next day.

The bags were, in fact, sitting in Vancouver--never put on UA flight. They sat in Vancouver for 6 days.

It took us a week and several hours on the phone to locate the bags and get them sent from Vancouver to our home city.

Needless to say---using airtags going forward.

We had a 2.5 hour connection in Frankfurt (United to Lufthansa).  My bag arrived 15 hours late.  My DH’s arrived another 15 hours later - total of 30 hours late. Thankfully, we had planned for 2 full days prior to the cruise, which is more than we usually plan.  Had we not, we would have boarded without one suitcase.  

On the return, we had an 80-minute connection (SAS to United) in Amsterdam.  We were sure our bags wouldn’t make it.  They did.  

You never know. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 8:11 PM, fudge said:

I can tell you from personal experience. Four weeks ago we left the Spirit in Italy, because we were business class we checked in two large suitcases and two carry on luggage. When we arrived in London only the large suitcases appeared.

After 4 days at home only one of the lost cases appeared, the other is no where to be seen, probably never to come home! its now been 30 days, despite phone calls and tons of form filling no one has any idea where it is, very frustrating, some lovely things in there we cannot replace.

Since then I discovered air tags, you put them in your case and track them on your phone, too late for us, they are about 99 dollars from Amazon. The first time ever we have lost a bag and never seen it again.

Would you believe it, we have just had notification that our lost suitcase has been found and is on its way after 45 days amazing!!  Arrives Monday fingers crossed, it just goes to show dont lose faith.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 7:50 PM, broker1217 said:

The bags were, in fact, sitting in Vancouver--never put on UA flight. They sat in Vancouver for 6 days.

Once, I have had a similar experience and it was at Vancouver, flying on Delta First Class with Priority Tags on the bag.  The bag sat in Vancouver for a couple of days before it was put on a flight to Salt Lake City, then to Minneapolis, then to Detroit, and finally to me.  Finally, delivered to me at 4:00 A.M.  I thought I should have gotten the Sky Miles that bag racked up.  😃

On 8/2/2022 at 7:19 PM, fudge said:

In our case we found out that the two hand luggage never made the plane in Rome for London, in fact the plane was delayed over an hour so they had plenty of time to make it. 

Don’t you carry your hand luggage onto the plane?  Did you check it in?

6 hours ago, fudge said:

We normally do carry them on however, because we were flying business class we checked them in.

In our "hand luggage" or what we really consider true "carry-n"  we carry computers, iPads, medications, headphones,  glasses, all the important stuff. Items NOT to be checked.  If that's not what's in your "hand luggage" what is?  

Edited by kimanjo

It dosent really matter what goes in it, we had to change planes twice and didnt want the hassle of dragging them through the airport, its the first time in years that we have "lost" a bag, sure, when one has gone missing previously it eventually turned up, certainly not after 45 days, we truly thought we would never see it again.

There wasn't a great deal of valuable or important stuff in there however, there were items which would have been difficult to replace, we all live and learn.  

On 8/3/2022 at 1:11 AM, fudge said:

Hearing about baggage problems all over the world recently, I ordered AirTags on Monday.  I’m flying to Amsterdam via Doha in early October and then transferring to KLM for a short flight to Denmark.  Even with 2 hr 45 min, I am no longer completely confidant bags will arrive, but at least I will know where they are!  I’m arriving four days pre cruise, which will help .

For the first time ever on a trip to Europe,  because of the baggage crisis we could not take a chance. We decided after much back and forth, after all the horror stories, to cut down on what we were taking and did carryons to London from MIA to JFK and then LHR for two weeks abroad. Two ready two burst carryons and two backpacks. We're talking a pair of near 80 year olds. But we managed to do all the heavy lifting and find up-top luggage space. The hard part was deciding what pieces of clothing we would scuttle. And commit to send out to the laundry when needed. Small sizes of toiletries. It all worked fine. Much to our amazement. On another cruise in Europe later in the fall we are using Sendmybaggage.com for one bag. Plus carryons again. Not all that expensive and worth it.

• Like 1

In view of recent chaos in losing check-in luggage via airports and airlines we are considering sending a bag via luggage forwarding company.  Does anyone have any good experience or recommendations?  Will have cruise coming up early next month with round trip Southampton.  Already booked direct flight to and from London Heathrow and 2 nights stay prior to embarkation.
Luggage Forward is quoting around $350 for a 50 lb suitcase whereas Send my bag is quoting almost half that price!  Both seem to offer similar door to door service.  

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

Hearing about baggage problems all over the world recently, I ordered AirTags on Monday.  I’m flying to Amsterdam via Doha in early October and then transferring to KLM for a short flight to Denmark.  Even with 2 hr 45 min, I am no longer completely confidant bags will arrive, but at least I will know where they are!  I’m arriving four days pre cruise, which will help .

Son recently flew Atlanta to Toulouse France, via Amsterdam.  Business class for work.  His bag was "lost".  He was in Toulouse and his bag was going round and round and round on and off Carousel 18 in AMS for 3 days.  Did it help to know where it was, sure, but it still took 4 days for an understaffed AMS to get an actual human to get the bag, research the bag, and forward it on to him in France.

So, you might know here it is with an AirTag, but if it's not anywhere near you, it won't necessary help. You are at the mercy of the people sorting out the bags.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, franmadre said:

In view of recent chaos in losing check-in luggage via airports and airlines we are considering sending a bag via luggage forwarding company.  Does anyone have any good experience or recommendations?  Will have cruise coming up early next month with round trip Southampton.  Already booked direct flight to and from London Heathrow and 2 nights stay prior to embarkation.
Luggage Forward is quoting around $350 for a 50 lb suitcase whereas Send my bag is quoting almost half that price!  Both seem to offer similar door to door service.  

Hi, I used Luggage Forward recently and was very pleased with them. I would use them again.

2 hours ago, franmadre said:

Already booked direct flight to and from London Heathrow and 2 nights stay prior to embarkation.

If you are on a non-stop to London, I would have minimal worries about your luggage arriving there.  Be sure to check-in in the USA in plenty of time before your flight.  You might have some issues on the return, with your luggage getting to your departing flight.

The big takeaway is that the issues right now tend to be in two categories:

Difficulties in the connection process

Difficulties in the origination at some Euro airports

At least going to your cruise, you don't have either of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fudge said:

I have a question about air tags please. I have read up on how they work, I assume you need an apple I phone, is that correct?

iPhone, iPad, iWatch.  All will keep track of AirTags when Bluetooth is turned on (and other Apple products are around).

36 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

I don't have apple products.

I have andriod phone

Anyone have any experience with something similar to AirTags that works with android products?

Thanks

Tile. Not as good but used with Android phones.  There is also a very expensive brand that requires a subscription. Now that Apple has improved on Tile, Samsung will probably work on it further. 🙂