Panama Canal room choices

jetact

I was looking at rooms in the Haven area for the Panama Canal in 2024 and it looks like there are far more rooms on the right hand (starboard) side of the ship that are spoken for. Does anyone know the reasoning for this as we have never been to the canal before. 

19 minutes ago, jetact said:

I was looking at rooms in the Haven area for the Panama Canal in 2024 and it looks like there are far more rooms on the right hand (starboard) side of the ship that are spoken for. Does anyone know the reasoning for this as we have never been to the canal before. 

When you're doing a Panama Canal transit it really doesn't matter where your cabin is because you should be moving around to get visual perspectives from all directions, forward, aft, port and starboard. You might want to be on your balcony some of the time, but you don't want to sit in one spot for the entire transit.

• Like 1

Chances are the reason Starboard is more heavily booked than Port may just be personal preference.  I always cruise Port side although there really is no logical reason for that preference.  

As previously stated, you need to move about the ship to truly appreciate all there is to see.  If for some reason you need to view exlusively from your balcony, I would recommend an aft cabin.

Edited by phoenix1181
  • Like 2

For me, my cabin selection would depend on the ship.  Some of the smaller ships like the Jewel have suites across the front of the ships.  The smaller ships also would sail through the original Canal.

Ships like The Encore only sail the new Canal.  The Encore has a huge Observation Lounge across the front of the ship (indoors).

Depending on each ship's Captain, they may or may not open the bow area for passengers.

You will want to wonder all over the ship for the Crossing.  Either traveling through the original Canal or the new one, it will be an all day adventure.

Pick a cabin that fits your budget and relax.

I have a Sudio (inside) cabin for my next Panama Canal cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you for the recommendations and answers. We are able to move around the ship so that is what we will do.  This is a 60th bday present to myself as its something I have always wanted to see as my grandparents did this cruise around 40 years ago and talked about it endlessly. 

• Like 2

We did the Panama Canal on the Bliss in Feb of this year to celebrate our 30th anniversary.  We were in a H5 (Haven 2 br with lg. balcony) on the starboard side.  The Haven sundeck was a great place to be when going under the Bridge of the Americas.  The captain did open the bow for viewing and there were staff giving moist towels.  There was also a bar opened, just for the day.  

Plan to be flexible!  Walk, enjoy the waterfront, visit the Haven Observation lounge and the big observation one (lots of seating, good bar and good food.  

Most of all, have fun!!

• Like 1

I agree with the idea of moving about the ship. You have several hours in transit through the canal/lake, and the scenery is always changing. Going through one lock, I'd watch the whole process from the bow. For the next lock, and watched the whole process aft. I watched one lock fully open and close while sitting just above the water level inside so I could see right into the lock. It was great fun!

• Like 1

OP: you have been given great advice above to be moving around the ship during the transit of the Canal. 

I'll just add one thing about port v. starboard: there will be two-way traffic when the ship is crossing Gatun Lake, with ships passing each other on their port sides.   The transit is a long, hot day; the crossing of Gatun Lake is a good time to take a little break, have some food . . .    If you do have a port side stateroom (or aft- or bow-facing), you might want to spend a little bit of time on the balcony just watching the ships go by.  (And then move around the ship for other perspectives!)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQY_PAQR1fsO-eQFG9Wlfgeq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1548361218

As for the starboard side: if you are on a ship that is using the original locks, and transiting the Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific, then very early in the transit, just before you arrive at the Gatun Locks, you can see the only visible remnant of the original French excavation; it looks like a little creek.   (Going the other way through the original locks, this would be seen from the port side, almost at the end of the transit, but you'd have to be looking back for it.)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbF9zYU3g7QTB8jYzA9ehut?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1571676789

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

OP: you have been given great advice above to be moving around the ship during the transit of the Canal. 

I'll just add one thing about port v. starboard: there will be two-way traffic when the ship is crossing Gatun Lake, with ships passing each other on their port sides.   The transit is a long, hot day; the crossing of Gatun Lake is a good time to take a little break, have some food . . .    If you do have a port side stateroom (or aft- or bow-facing), you might want to spend a little bit of time on the balcony just watching the ships go by.  (And then move around the ship for other perspectives!)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQY_PAQR1fsO-eQFG9Wlfgeq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1548361218

As for the starboard side: if you are on a ship that is using the original locks, and transiting the Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific, then very early in the transit, just before you arrive at the Gatun Locks, you can see the only visible remnant of the original French excavation; it looks like a little creek.   (Going the other way through the original locks, this would be seen from the port side, almost at the end of the transit, but you'd have to be looking back for it.)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbF9zYU3g7QTB8jYzA9ehut?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1571676789

(photos by turtles06)

Excellent options and thoughts on things to see. Thank you very much. Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate your time. 

• Like 1

Our all time favorite cruise was a Panama Canal Cruise with aft balcony wraparound deck corner starboard. I think it was a Princess ship. It was amazing and no need to be amongst the masses on deck when we had the best view ever ! Enjoy!!!