Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

54 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Agreed,,,,,,but I can’t understand how Celebrity would run such a unique cruise with Iceland as the high point for most people then only have one day in Reykjavik.

A turnaround day at that were nobody could experience what sights Iceland is famous for.

Any cruise that includes Iceland should include Two days in Reykjavik.

My last visit on Reflection in May 2019 did.

We had an overnight in Reykjavik and another in Akureyri in June of 2019 on the Reflection. 
it was great. Also, exhausting, as our second day tours were just 7 and 9 hours after the first day tours ended, but it was totally worth it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capecodmercury said:

FYI, in case it is not announced on board, there is a geomagnetic storm tonight (and last night) so good possibility of aurora borealis tonight. Good hunting.

If it clears best viewing from about midnight to 12:45am.  Fingers crossed for no clouds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Agreed,,,,,,but I can’t understand how Celebrity would run such a unique cruise with Iceland as the high point for most people then only have one day in Reykjavik.

A turnaround day at that were nobody could experience what sights Iceland is famous for.

The reason as explained to me is the cruiselines were given a maximum number of days - there is more demand that available space - so RCCL had little choice.  We were in Isafjordur for two nights last weekend.  As many as 4 ships each day in port each day.  The passengers overwhelmed the town.

Unbelievable number of tourists in Iceland.  Every hotel we visited fully booked.   Etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I may overload pictures of the falls.  

Started at parking lot at the bottom of the falls.  Amazing it is wheel chair accessible up to the forts falls and a nice view.

Thanks for including the wheelchair accessibility - it can be hard to find that kind of information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

And that would be why I didn't re-book this itinerary.  I was booked in 2020 and 2021 when it was 14 nights over and 14 nights back.  Plenty of time in Reykjavik.  Didn't care for this itinerary.

• Like 2

Your pictures are wonderful. They really make me hate COVID even more then I already do. We had an Ireland/Iceland cruise booked in May 2020 that was to overnight in Reykjavik and spend 1 day in Akureyi. We had small groups tours booked for all 3 days hitting the highlights. The itinerary no longer exists as it was round trip from Dublin on the Reflection and Dublin is no longer a cruise ship port. I am throughly loving your report and pictures so please keep them coming. I am hoping this itinerary exists in a few years when I am retired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Very Minnesota, or Minne-snow-ta. First 'warmer' winter day and people head out in flip flops, t-shirts and shorts. We live in the land of extreme, -30º at times in the winter and we easily go 90º plus in the summer.

**Waves from Saskatchewan**

-40 is -40.  😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Jim,

I decided to “revisit” some of your photos on my laptop vs. my iPad mini, so I could enjoy them even more.

I’m glad I did, because I was able to spot this very coool  “face in a hoodie” on one of the icebergs you photographed.

You posted it on Sunday on page 33. It is post #804.  I went back and was able to see it on the iPad, too, by stretching it.

I wonder if you will be passing by it again on the second “leg” of your B3B?

1513563523_Sundaypg.33Post804_909431EE-2AB4-47EC-AFC7-9201DC8B4E64.thumb.jpeg.9afe98ade2e407c89617e5478e6b83d6.jpeg.7e1fe5ac307ae9df9d74beba75231bea.jpeg

Thank you sooo very much for sharing your thoughts and photos with us.

I hope you will be able to see the Aurora Borealis tonight!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, CrzLvr2 said:

Hi Jim,

I decided to “revisit” some of your photos on my laptop vs. my iPad mini, so I could enjoy them even more.

I’m glad I did, because I was able to spot this very coool  “face in a hoodie” on one of the icebergs you photographed.

You posted it on Sunday on page 33. It is post #804.  I went back and was able to see it on the iPad, too, by stretching it.

1513563523_Sundaypg.33Post804_909431EE-2AB4-47EC-AFC7-9201DC8B4E64.thumb.jpeg.9afe98ade2e407c89617e5478e6b83d6.jpeg.7e1fe5ac307ae9df9d74beba75231bea.jpeg

Fabulous!

7 hours ago, CrzLvr2 said:

Hi Jim,

And here I thought it was the Celebrity X.    

LOL.   Like modern art  in the eye of the beholder.   I like yours better. 

• Thanks 1

Lots of walk offs.   The started hand delivering luggage to one tent and carts to another.  

I think the hand delivery the bags for the people with a tour and drop off at airport. 

Fun to watch 

BB9152B4-C051-4720-92EB-92C9A84D2AA8.jpeg

• Like 1

I picked this up in the hotel lobby and read an article that fills in this thread might enjoy. 

I checked, and it’s available online as well. 

My favorite bit is this “…there has been glacially slow but steady (they have power, those glaciers) progress toward acceptance in Iceland.”

https://www.whatson.is/reykjavik-pride-week/

14 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Would have been a good port for an overnight on last and first day on turn around. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The reason as explained to me is the cruiselines were given a maximum number of days - there is more demand that available space - so RCCL had little choice.  We were in Isafjordur for two nights last weekend.  As many as 4 ships each day in port each day.  The passengers overwhelmed the town.

Unbelievable number of tourists in Iceland.  Every hotel we visited fully booked.   Etc.

Could be.   There are 3 ships in port today.