Samsung Galaxy Tablet Android 11 not taking App

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I do. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e and it runs Android 11.

Just a thought, when you're setting up your new tablet, do you not get a prompt to re-install everything that's on your previous one? If you do, perhaps you could get the app to work that way rather than downloading it anew.

I just tried and it said I successfully transferred everything but not one of the apps is on my new device.  I give up.

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I just tried and it said I successfully transferred everything but not one of the apps is on my new device.  I give up.

Ugh. That is so weird. I can't think of anything else to suggest. 😕

• Thanks 1

This is just the nature of android devices, particularly low end or cheap android devices.  

The Galaxy Tab "Lite" devices are low end devices.  $129 at Costco.  The problem is the processor or memory may not be compatible with all apps.  My Galaxy Tab A was a little more but still not a full blown tablet.  My 10.1 galaxy Tab was $199.  It runs the Royal app (despite being listed as not compatible) but there are many apps my Samsung S22U will run that I can't load on my Galaxy Tab A.  

The Galaxy S series of tablets tend to be more expensive and they tend to run more apps but still no guarantee they can run every app that a full blown device can run.

This is exactly the problem with android.  A device manufacturer can build a device using a myriad of components and it will run android but that doesn't mean every app created by a developer can run on every android device.  

An equally cheap tablet from another manufacturer might use a different processor compared to a Galaxy "Lite" tablet and that cheapo device might run the Royal app just fine.  The problem is you don't known until you try to load it. 

On 8/4/2022 at 9:22 AM, robmtx said:

Some apps are not compatible with "tablets". They do differentiate between phones and tablets. I have a Tab S8 at home but when I go to push the install from the web based Play Store, it shows me compatible devices, and my Galaxy Tablet is grayed out. 

No problem running the app on either of my iPads......

On 8/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, molly361 said:

Everyone else can make apps that work on all devices but can Royal NO!!😇

The problem is two fold. Google has never put much into making Android run properly on tablets. Second is that the Royal app is a phone app. Even on iOS it runs as a phone app on iPads as Royal has not made a tablet version. It runs fine but it is designed to be used on phones. Another  problem is that Android devices don't get updated much and every device is different . So developers don't pay Android apps as much attention as they do iOS apps.

Edited by Charles4515

31 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Got an answer from the app help desk- 

Hi Ellen - the app is not supported on tablets, regardless of the Android version. 

Interesting. I wonder if I should tell my tablet... 🤔

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

If you go to the Google Play store could you download it again if you wanted to?  I have it on one tablet but when I go to look at it in Google Play it says it's not compatible with my device 

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you go to the Google Play store could you download it again if you wanted to?  I have it on one tablet but when I go to look at it in Google Play it says it's not compatible with my device 

No, it doesn't let me. I'd have to uninstall it and I don't want to risk it in case it then decides it is incompatible.

When I look on my desktop it tells me "This app is available for some of your devices" but doesn't give me a list of which ones. I know that it will include my old tablet, which runs on something like Android 4, but don't know if, in theory, it should also include my current one.

It may or may not have anything to do with it, but my current tablet has a SIM slot. I don't know if that might have the effect of somehow tricking the app into thinking it's a phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

the app is not supported on tablets, regardless of the Android version. 

44 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Key word here is "Supported" - that means, while one person may be able to access it via the Store, another person may not. They simply won't offer help for this because it's not "supported"

I did find one of my tablets where I could install it, but was an older model that sits in a drawer most of the time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any solutions to this?  I just bought a tablet so we could have that be the shared internet device on the cruise, but I want the royal app on there so I can view schedule and make reservations and such.  So far I can't install on this brand new (hours old) nice tablet!  

I guess I can try and side load it, but I don't want to carry my phone with me just to use the royal app while I have a brand new tablet that will work for everything BUT their app!!!

1 minute ago, Gadget_dude said:

Any solutions to this?  I just bought a tablet so we could have that be the shared internet device on the cruise, but I want the royal app on there so I can view schedule and make reservations and such.  So far I can't install on this brand new (hours old) nice tablet!  

I guess I can try and side load it, but I don't want to carry my phone with me just to use the royal app while I have a brand new tablet that will work for everything BUT their app!!!

I have an older Samsung tablet and Samsung phone.  App is only on phone, doesn't work on tablet.  Phone is easier to carry thanntablet.  Don't need separate internet to use app on phone.  It's a free connection. 

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

The only Royal app for the tablet that I see is for Royal employees. 

The Royal app is for phones. It is not designed to run on tablets. The Royal app does run on my iPad but only as a phone sized app. It only runs at all because iOS and iPadOS use the same code. Any future Royal upgrade or IPadOS upgrade could break it from running. It is not a fault of the Android or Apple tablets if it won’t run on your tablet. It is Royal Caribbeans decision not to make tablet versions.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The Royal app does run on my iPad but only as a phone sized app.

That's interesting. It runs full size on my Samsung tablet, which gives me a nice big screen to play with.

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with Android 10 and a Moto Edge 5G with Android 12.  Both have the app and both have been used on board ships.

I have a tab s4 and the app won't load onto my tablet.  It says so.  Not sure why.