Packing for sea days for an October Transatlantic

amevola

Hello, all,

My husband and I will on Celebrity Beyond from Barcelona to Cape Liberty (NJ).  I am very excited as we have never a TA nor sailed on new ship.

I can figure out what to pack for our two days in Barcelona and for our arrival in Cape Liberty, but I am unsure of the actual weather at sea.  Layers are important, I am sure, but if you have further advice, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Layers, of course you already knew that one.  I'd bring some soft comfy slip-on shoes for wandering around the ship, a baseball cap that fits tightly to keep the hair out of my eyes when walking outside, a fluffy scarf, mittens/gloves, shirts with chest pockets so I don't have to carry a purse, thick socks to wear around the cabin, and my faithful very long 'raincoat' that always keeps me warm, no matter where we are.

• Like 1

We have only done eastbound, in the spring, but what was most surprising to me was how cold it felt out on deck, due to the strong wind factor of sailing fast with no land barriers nearby.  I wore a lot of nice "athleisure" attire, with the tops layered; sometimes three layers if I was going to be doing pooldeck aerobics, for example.  The weather was fabulous, but that wind was a constant.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I dress comfy and casual for the sea days. I feel a nice sweatshirt or sweater is key. I agree with hat and gloves. I mainly walk a few hour outside, if weather permits and I hang out in the solarium pool. So, bathing suit and flip flops, as well. Have a great time!

• Like 1

Definitely layers. I've done 2 TAs on Cunard, who follow the northern route (departing from Southampton), while I believe the TAs departing from points south tend to take a more southern routing. 

The only other thing I'd recommend is some sort of nausea/seasickness medication, as the Atlantic is unpredictable, and you could end up with some big seas. (But it could also be flat as glass.) 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

We took a TA from Barcelona to Port Canaveral in October-November last year. We took casual pants/ leggings and layers for tops. I had long-sleeved tops and fleece full zip with lined windbreakers. Didn’t need scarves but hats and gloves were helpful some days. The wind on deck was fierce!

On 8/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, awhfy said:

... Leggings, shirts, sweaters

I don't think I'm alone in kinda being "over" leggings.  I'd bring a pair of great-fitting comfortable jeans instead; one of the big plusses of jeans is that you can wear them multiple times.  

On 8/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, jsn55 said:

... a baseball cap that fits tightly to keep the hair out of my eyes when walking outside ... 

A bounce-off thought:  If you like to keep your hair pulled back, bring extra ties or clips.  The at-sea wind has stolen away my hair items more than once.  

On 8/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, shipgeeks said:

... I wore a lot of nice "athleisure" attire, with the tops layered; sometimes three layers if I was going to be doing pooldeck aerobics, for example ... 

When we sailed last December I saw quite a few people wearing "track suit" type things (or yoga pants and thin sweatshirts) in the loungers by the pool.  

On 5/22/2023 at 7:30 PM, jackiel3290 said:

... Didn’t need scarves ... 

Are people suggesting thin fashion scarves that add minimal warmth or thick winter scarves?

• Like 1

It sure would be interesting for the OP to report back on their Oct 2022 TA to share how it went…

I have taken one TA. It was April. It was COLD…our Norwegian master made jokes about the weather saying that they call this summer back home. I remember people using many towels in the solarium as blankets to still try and enjoy being outside.

I also found that my TA was the most dressed up ship I had ever cruised…not that I’ve cruised so many. Maybe it was all the extra time due to lack of ports but each evening, the majority of the ship was outfitted fit for a night on the town…very urban, very chic. And definitely dressing like a transition season and no where near summer.

• Like 2

I will be doing my first TA crossing in November. Sailing Lisbon to NYC.......I am thinking multiple pairs of joggers for daytime. I will check the weather as the months get closer. I can't remember ever wearing leggings....they are just not for me.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My crossing is just over a month away now🙂.........I was trying to see if I could do this cruise with a carry on and tote bag but I don't think that will work for me. One checked bag and one carry on are my standard way. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:02 AM, Lois R said:

I will be doing my first TA crossing in November. Sailing Lisbon to NYC.......I am thinking multiple pairs of joggers for daytime. I will check the weather as the months get closer. I can't remember ever wearing leggings....they are just not for me.

I'd be living in the leggings on the cruise.  Joggers look horrible on me.   Since I  wear them probably 80% of the time at work (a small, 34-unit, privately-owned luxury condo complex) I'd have no issue taking them.  I took them on my April Alaska cruise and was nice and comfy.  I can go super casual or even upscale with them.  It's all about what I wear on top and the accessories!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I'd be living in the leggings on the cruise.  Joggers look horrible on me.   Since I  wear them probably 80% of the time at work (a small, 34-unit, privately-owned luxury condo complex) I'd have no issue taking them.  I took them on my April Alaska cruise and was nice and comfy.  I can go super casual or even upscale with them.  It's all about what I wear on top and the accessories!  

Hi Kat, funny, I don't own any leggings. Since the cruise has so many sea days in a row I will probably pack jeans for this trip too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, funny, I don't own any leggings. Since the cruise has so many sea days in a row I will probably pack jeans for this trip too.

I have some leggings, but I'd never wear them outside the house.  Too many women obviously don't ever look at their own rear view!  Don't wear jeans either.  I prefer close-cut soft knit pants that are hand-washable if necessary.  Always bring an upscale silk pair for dinners.  My best discovery years ago was to bring only black pants and black shoes so I never have to bother wondering what I'll wear.  I try to subtract a pound or two every trip but I'll never get to the point of carryon only.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 2

I tend to wear jeggings instead of jeans or leggings. Evenings I wear (90% of the time) black pants (Brigettes from Chicos). When I was road warrioring I only did carryon. First cruise we took my husband said, luggage?  You!  I said yup, I’m going to have choices. One suitcase & a carryon

• Like 2

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'd be living in the leggings on the cruise.  Joggers look horrible on me.   

Joggers are trendy these days.  I just bought a pair, and I love them!  

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I have some leggings, but I'd never wear them outside the house.  Too many women obviously don't ever look at their own rear view! 

I think you're right.  Comfort matters, but you want to look presentable too.  

Personally, I'm small and have a great butt and legs -- my problem areas are always my waist and bust.  Still, I only wear leggings (out of the house) with a longer top or tunic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Joggers are trendy these days.  I just bought a pair, and I love them!  

I think you're right.  Comfort matters, but you want to look presentable too.  

Personally, I'm small and have a great butt and legs -- my problem areas are always my waist and bust.  Still, I only wear leggings (out of the house) with a longer top or tunic.  

Joggers just don't look right with my legs.  I tried different types and leg volume, but nope.  I really wanted to like them.   So, they are relegated to the "do not wear in public" pile...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the Rotterdam for October of 2025 and being the light packer that I am (we will be taking advantage of the laundry service, because I'm just into having my stuff with me) I'm wondering if I can get away with something fleece like (think Columbia sportswear) as over clothing wear in Rotterdam, Brussels, Le Harve, Falmouth and Portland or do I need to think heavier?  Should I be thinking add some Merino wool tops or do we need full on coats?  I'm all over the leggings that are being mentioned.  Nice and light for packing!  You are speaking my language with them!  How about yoga pants....mine are very nice from Land's End?  Will I be ok?  I want to get a jump on things because I live for the word clearance....buying end of the year doesn't bother me in the least and leaves me more money for cruises.....trust me, I'm whipping it up on Ibotta right now! =P  

I lived in Germany in the 80's, went back in October of 2003 and I do know it can vary, but we have really not been very far north other than Bremerhaven in July which I can honestly say was right cool for summer.  Should I expect that crazy North Sea wind and find some warm clothes?

We picked the northern route because my husband wants to go to Normandy.  I wanted to go the southern route, but there are some reasons we cannot do that.  I will say we have been to none of these places mentioned.  Honestly, I had the Queen Mary on my mind (and that's going to still happen if we can swing it) even though the very dressy nights are more of an issue as we *do* pack light.  This is a bucket list thing of ours.  Looking forward to hearing your opinions. 

Edited by islandgirlejfan
  • Like 1

Choose your colors, lay out your basics, but wait until ten days out for a weather forecast.  I've travelled the world for years in various combinations of:  silk turtleneck, vest, short/sleeve shirt, long sleeve heavier shirt, unlined windbreaker, unlined raincoat.  If the weather forecast is dire, as was China in November, I throw in a heavy cotton cardigan.  As for dressy ... these days the men should tuck in their shirts and wear a belt on almost any pants that aren't denim.  A woman can go anywhere with some pretty earrings and a dramatic scarf.  We've always found it far more interesting on formal nights to find a little nest along the route to dinner, order some champagne and oogle all the finery passing by.  People have so much FUN on the Queens' formal nights.  On QVictoria, there were literally sequined sheaths with dyed-to-match stilletos ... it was great watching the parade.

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 3

Seconding the checking the weather before you go, but much will depend on how you deal with cold/damp. I tend to run warm, so I was able to comfortably eat lunch in a park in my shirtsleeves in London last November, while folks around me were wearing sweaters and fleeces. 

I can't recommend the QM2 TA experience enough - I've done it three times, and will be booking a fourth when I'm on QV in January. 

• Like 3

On 10/8/2023 at 1:11 PM, islandgirlejfan said:

I just booked the Rotterdam for October of 2025 and being the light packer that I am (we will be taking advantage of the laundry service, because I'm just into having my stuff with me) I'm wondering if I can get away with something fleece like (think Columbia sportswear) as over clothing wear in Rotterdam, Brussels, Le Harve, Falmouth and Portland or do I need to think heavier?  Should I be thinking add some Merino wool tops or do we need full on coats?  I'm all over the leggings that are being mentioned.  Nice and light for packing!  You are speaking my language with them!  How about yoga pants....mine are very nice from Land's End?  Will I be ok?  I want to get a jump on things because I live for the word clearance....buying end of the year doesn't bother me in the least and leaves me more money for cruises.....trust me, I'm whipping it up on Ibotta right now! =P  

I lived in Germany in the 80's, went back in October of 2003 and I do know it can vary, but we have really not been very far north other than Bremerhaven in July which I can honestly say was right cool for summer.  Should I expect that crazy North Sea wind and find some warm clothes?

We picked the northern route because my husband wants to go to Normandy.  I wanted to go the southern route, but there are some reasons we cannot do that.  I will say we have been to none of these places mentioned.  Honestly, I had the Queen Mary on my mind (and that's going to still happen if we can swing it) even though the very dressy nights are more of an issue as we *do* pack light.  This is a bucket list thing of ours.  Looking forward to hearing your opinions. 

We were in several of those ports on the spring TA this year. I didn’t need anything heavy but absolutely needed wind break, especially in Portland. Take your fleece and a windbreaker so both can be worn independently as needed. 

And I took a carry on only for 18 nights, and still didn’t wear everything. I don’t own or wear leggings or joggers … 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...