Porter Tips

samplecd02

Last cruise I did was in the US and was in 2009. I usually give a few dollars to the porters for each bag. Since I am going to be in Amsterdam, I am not sure I will have been able to get any Euros before I get to the port (will try at the airport, but everyone has heard how busy Schiphol is). If I cant get Euros by the time I get to the ship, would it be better to give them USD or not at all? 

1 minute ago, samplecd02 said:

Last cruise I did was in the US and was in 2009. I usually give a few dollars to the porters for each bag. Since I am going to be in Amsterdam, I am not sure I will have been able to get any Euros before I get to the port (will try at the airport, but everyone has heard how busy Schiphol is). If I cant get Euros by the time I get to the ship, would it be better to give them USD or not at all? 

Its been about 4 years since we last sailed out of Amsterdam, but from memory we just walked into he terminal and checked our bags inside. Can't even remember if there were any porters at this terminal.

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I usually give them $5-10  for 2 bags.    I guess in 2009 it was custom to give them $1 a bag.

I always give $5 a bag. My concern was  whether they would be accepting of USD versus Euro.

I take it you are playing in the day of the cruise and I wish you luck with that. ATMs are accessible at the airport but if you don’t have time to get euros, do tip in dollars. It isn’t that for them to change the dollars to euros as I’m sure you’re not the only one who will be doing that

30 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I always assume my bags won’t make it on the ship unless I tip well. 

I’m pretty sure that’s not true, but if it were most Australians, Europeans, and half the Canadians, wouldn’t get their bags. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mark_K said:

I’m pretty sure that’s not true, but if it were most Australians, Europeans, and half the Canadians, wouldn’t get their bags. 

I didn't say it's true.  lol.  It's my NY paranoia assumption. 

2 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

Many US banks have Euro's on hand and you can get them before you leave for your trip.

We just cruised from Amsterdam. There were a few porters outside dealing with a taxi when we arrived,  but we pulled our luggage inside the terminal and popped it on the luggage belt ourselves. Others did this too. We had already lugged our luggage from Centraal Station so there was not much point in a porter. If you do feel the need to tip when you are in the Netherlands you should tip in Euros not dollars. 

• Thanks 1