Pacemaker

cruise to live

I have had my pacemaker for 7 years - probably been on over 15 cruises with it so far.  Do not need a Dr. note or to report it.  The only thing I do is tell them as I embark and get on at a port so they let me squeeze around the side of the scanner.  They then do a quick pat-down.  Have never even had a hand scanner used on me. (and if someone does try, cover your pm with one hand so they do not scan over or near it.). At an airport I go thru the full-body scanner - not the one everyone else goes thru. (which are not good for pm either)

• Like 2

Have travelled alot, usually cruising, in the 6 years I’ve had a PM. Have never had a Dr’s note…although I do keep the PM’s information card in my purse. Have gone through scanners without a problem unless the scanner says it’s not safe for PMs. Go every year for a PM check and all is fine.  I go through the airport scanners and ship scanners without incident. 

• Like 1

I've always been told to squeeze around the scanner, along the wall to be patted down. Crew actually started to unplug the scanner on a recent Valor cruise. Enough guests have pacemakers that the crew knows the drill.

• Like 2

16 years in time , and currently on my 4 th pacemaker, actually an ICD.  I never avoid scanners, if you read the literature there is no risk to the second or two you might face walking through the scanner.  Funniest time was when I went through a whole body machine and was berated by security for “not” removing my necklace.  Lifted my shirt, nothing there.  He was seeing the wires from the pacemaker to my heart.    Really, speak with your own MD, but modern  pacers have no risk with scanners.

• Like 1