Taking own wine onboard

smilesonfaces

We are going on a short cruise and a drinks package is not available. I am considering taking onboard  2 or 3 bottles of wine and also a bottle of champagne for our anniversary dinner. I understand about the corkage fee but could I ask at what point is this actually charged ? Do I take the bottle to dinner with me and they charge then ? Do people find taking a bottle in to dinner a little awkward ?
Do I declare at some point on boarding that we have more than a bottle each ?  I understand we are allowed one bottle each. 
thank you.

No need to declare the bottles. Just take them on board.

Yes, you are actually charged the corkage fee the first (or only) night you consume the wine in the MDR.

Instead of taking the wine with you to dinner you might also bring it at lunch time and ask for the sommelier to keep it cool or what ever is appropriate for the respective wine and to have it ready for you at dinner time. Neither way I find awkward unless one carries it around to other events before.

• Like 1

Just now, smilesonfaces said:

I read on the Cunard website that it is one bottle of wine per adult. Is this not correct or is it just not enforced ? 

Definitely not enforced and does not feel awkward. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, read2learn said:

Thank you. Do they confiscate it until the end of the cruise (as some lines do)or may you enjoy it during your trip?.  

No. You can keep it, drink it in your stateroom for free or take it to a bar or restaurant and pay corkage.

Take the wines, fizz etc., to the dining room lunchtime on boarding.

Discuss forthcoming menus with Md’H to select appropriate.  If no match, may one suggest to discuss  the list of Bin Ends, being excellent wines at very reasonable prices.

The Sommelier will open, breathe and decant your fine wine, ensuring it’s in perfect condition when dining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

We board QV on Sunday I have Gordon's and a couple bottles of my fave pinot grigio. Main luggage or hand luggage? Copiously bubble wrapped regardless. 

I'd take it in hand luggage. That way you can cheer yourselves up if your main luggage is a bit late arriving - which it usually isn't.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Take the wines, fizz etc., to the dining room lunchtime on boarding.

Discuss forthcoming menus with Md’H to select appropriate.  If no match, may one suggest to discuss  the list of Bin Ends, being excellent wines at very reasonable prices.

The Sommelier will open, breathe and decant your fine wine, ensuring it’s in perfect condition when dining.

Are bin ends typically the higher priced wines or also the under $100/bottle?

48 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Are bin ends typically the higher priced wines or also the under $100/bottle?

Typically, they are low/mid range, say $60 upwards.  
Hopefully, one will be able to discover an absolute gem, being at a price one would never dreamed possible.

Sommeliers are usually kind and helpful when being asked for the list of Bin Ends.  It shows one understands the game.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Typically, they are low/mid range, say $60 upwards.  
Hopefully, one will be able to discover an absolute gem, being at a price one would never dreamed possible.

Sommeliers are usually kind and helpful when being asked for the list of Bin Ends.  It shows one understands the game.

The Bin Ends list is well worth perusing- as Port Royal mentions there are some gems to be found.