Will P&O start allowing unvaccinated guests?

Trevor Fountain

Except for the youngest children hope not. Perhaps the answer will lie in insurance,  will insurance companies be willing to insure unvaccinated passengers who are more likely to get seriously ill

But on other hand, if they relax that rule then it must mean then end to all covid restrictions on ships,  quarantine etc. Cruise ships will be treated like hotels on land. You won't have to quarantine yourself in your room unless you are ill, and bed is best place for you

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Except for the youngest children hope not. Perhaps the answer will lie in insurance,  will insurance companies be willing to insure unvaccinated passengers who are more likely to get seriously ill

But on other hand, if they relax that rule then it must mean then end to all covid restrictions on ships,  quarantine etc. Cruise ships will be treated like hotels on land. You won't have to quarantine yourself in your room unless you are ill, and bed is best place for you

We recent took out annual travel+cruise insurance. I can't recall any COVID related questions. I may be wrong.

13 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Neither can I,  which is strange that being unvaccinated doesn't result in a higher premium. 

No covid questions for the annual insurance here either.

I assume that if they asked about the covid vaccination it would open a whole can of worms. Have you had chicken pox or polio vaccine (polio is apparently an issue in London at the moment).

Have you had a smallpox vaccine (Monkey Pox is a bit of an issue across Europe). 

If you want to tell if someone is lying about their age look for the tell tale pock mark on their shoulder. Routine vaccination ended in 1971 so anyone with a mark was born pre 1971, as it was given at about 3 months.

Mine is a beautiful round mark on my left shoulder.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Neither can I,  which is strange that being unvaccinated doesn't result in a higher premium. 

That may change, some Travel Insurance providers have been discussing whether to include Covid vaccinations in the same classification as tropical diseases, which requires relevant vaccines to be administered for you to be covered.

This is from my annual insurance 

What you are not covered for

16. expenses incurred as a result of a tropical disease where you have not had the recommended inoculations and/or taken the recommended medication;

This could be amended to include Covid 19 vaccinations should the underwriters choose, this will depend on how much it is costing them to cover Covid related costs of cancellation, hospital bills, etc. 

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

We recent took out annual travel+cruise insurance. I can't recall any COVID related questions. I may be wrong.

Depends on the insurer. Some require you yo declare if you have had covid.  The follow up questions for those insurers seem to lead to long covid.  If I recall correctly Staysure don't ask but M&S and LV do - don't quote me on that though it's a couple of months since I looked at any policy.

• Like 1

Some travel insurance providers will not cover you for Covid related claims, Staysure often quoted here for cruise travellers are one such company

From their website

“If you’ve turned down the vaccine offered to you by the NHS, you will not be covered for COVID-related claims.”

https://www.staysure.co.uk/annual-travel-insurance/

The question is will the unvaccinated want to take the risk of travel knowing if they catch Covid they won’t be covered.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Some travel insurance providers will not cover you for Covid related claims, Staysure often quoted here for cruise travellers are one such company

From their website

“If you’ve turned down the vaccine offered to you by the NHS, you will not be covered for COVID-related claims.”

https://www.staysure.co.uk/annual-travel-insurance/

The question is will the unvaccinated want to take the risk of travel knowing if they catch Covid they won’t be covered.

They do cover covid if you are vaccinated though.  They have an interesting take on covid in that their staff when asked about declaring it state "well everyone has had it so no declaration required"!

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They do cover covid if you are vaccinated though.  They have an interesting take on covid in that their staff when asked about declaring it state "well everyone has had it so no declaration required"!

They do, as does my insurer, but in order to reduce their risk it’s is possible that those unvaccinated may find it difficult to get cover where Covid is concerned. 

Why do the unvaccinated find it difficult to get Covid cover?

Perhaps because they may get a severe case as they do not get the advantage of the vaccines reducing the chance of catching it and importantly reducing the severity of the disease if you do catch it.

Decisions have consequences.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1