Snails? In the Escargot?

LovetheSea

I had the escargots bourguignon in Bistro sur La Mer on Sky Princess a couple of weeks ago and it was definitely snails. There was very finely diced mushroom in the garlic butter, but I know a snail when I eat one (and they were delicious, I could have happily have eaten a couple of dozen of them). 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:27 AM, Sea Hag said:

I might give that a shot if I see it on a ship. I've never been a fan of the usual escargots, but crispy just might be interesting.

Are those "crispy" escargots in their shell? Extra crunchy! 🤣

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:20 AM, Ron the Rev said:

but the best way is still in their shells with the sauce on the side. No you can't substitute the snail for anything else and still call it escargot. Happy chewing fellow cruisers. 

It’s more accurate to say “the best way is still in a shell…”

Shells are reusable, and most of the time the shell did not belong to the snail that’s being served. 😁

I grew up eating Escargot Bourguignon, and something always seems missing in Princess’s dish.  It’s still yummy, but something’s missing.

23 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

It’s more accurate to say “the best way is still in a shell…”

Shells are reusable, and most of the time the shell did not belong to the snail that’s being served. 😁

I grew up eating Escargot Bourguignon, and something always seems missing in Princess’s dish.  It’s still yummy, but something’s missing.

Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb Salt Free Spice Seasoning Blend -- 500 per case.

I wonder if anyone who loves the escargot will ever see it in the DR's again.  Our formal night menu on Regal this past week did not resemble any FN menu I have seen before.  Even on the DTI night, few familiar items exist.

I may go into this further one day, but my experience thus far is that almost all food items are lower in quality than pre-Covid.  I mean meats and some fruits and I wonder about baking ingredients as well since even cookies are not up to previous standards.

I find many items are being over-cooked, but that is a chef/cook thing and could be ship-specific.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I wonder if anyone who loves the escargot will ever see it in the DR's again.  Our formal night menu on Regal this past week did not resemble any FN menu I have seen before.  Even on the DTI night, few familiar items exist.

I may go into this further one day, but my experience thus far is that almost all food items are lower in quality than pre-Covid.  I mean meats and some fruits and I wonder about baking ingredients as well since even cookies are not up to previous standards.

I find many items are being over-cooked, but that is a chef/cook thing and could be ship-specific.

We are currently on the Royal and it was the second formal night last night.  The escargot and lobster were absolutely wonderful in the MDR.  This is the first cruise since the return to service that the lobster tail has been this good but I can say that the escargot has been consistently good!  We’ve not been even slightly disappointed disappointed with any of the food on this entire cruise.  All of it has been fabulous!  We’ve been so very impressed with every single meal we’ve had on this 12 night sailing!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

we're just back from 3 weeks on the Regal, Rome to Rome.

There was one week where the MDR menus didn't quite seem to line up with the suggested attire - the Gala menu wasn't on a formal night.    But, lobster was offered all 3 weeks; and I believe escargot was as well.    

For the most part, the MDR food was quite good, and we were very happy eating there.    Missing those menus now, as a matter of fact 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 11:56 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I love escargot but cannot never get anyone at the table to try them.  If they were made with mushrooms, I'm sure they wouldn't mind it at all.  Heck, they might even like them ... and me, too, as a matter of fact.  I think it would be great to have a choice.  

I'm guilty of asking people near me to try something.  Escargots come to mind.  Why do I do this?  I mean, try to temp anyone to try something on my dish?  What prompts this need of mine to be a food missionary?  Seem crazy to me now having read Cruise Raider's remarks.  I shall no longer want people to taste something on my plate that they appear to be avoiding.  Jack Morris  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2old4this said:

I'm guilty of asking people near me to try something.  Escargots come to mind.  Why do I do this?  I mean, try to temp anyone to try something on my dish?  What prompts this need of mine to be a food missionary?  Seem crazy to me now having read Cruise Raider's remarks.  I shall no longer want people to taste something on my plate that they appear to be avoiding.  Jack Morris  

I never ask anyone to try something off my plate (except for my spouse)  … I just try to encourage them to order it themselves because I think it is delicious and think they might also enjoy it.  I think escargot is one of those foods people don’t try because of the thought of eating ‘snails’.   There would probably be no issue if it were made with mushrooms.  

But, you are right, everyone has different tastes and your point is well received.  I absolutely despise licorice and don’t care for peppermint one little bit.  When people tell me to try it anyway because it is so delicious, I have been known to secretly roll my eyes.  I already know I don’t like either of those flavors, why would I have to try it again to confirm that?  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I already know I don’t like either of those flavors, why would I have to try it again to confirm that?  

True, however tastes can also change over time. There are a few things I once turned my nose up at, that I now enjoy on a regular basis and vice versa.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Musky Ike said:

True, however tastes can also change over time. There are a few things I once turned my nose up at, that I now enjoy on a regular basis and vice versa.  

I agree but those are flavors that make me gag if I even smell them.  The adult thing to say is I have an allergy to them.  😂 

I doubt my tastes would change that much on those two flavors.  They are just so absolutely  repulsive to me.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:11 PM, mom says said:

Totally beside the point.  The dish is escargot, and the poster got mushrooms?. How would you feel if you ordered a mushroom coffee and they served you escargot coffee instead?

Boy that sounds gross in any fashion. However, Escargot IS snails, whether in the shell or in a shallow dish(or bowl)covered with a puff pastry top & bread to dip in the sauce. I'm a chef & love to prepare the Escargots in a puff pastry with a light garlic cream sauce.

Edited by rbtan
additions

On 10/29/2022 at 8:02 PM, 2old4this said:

We did this on Oceania in 2018. We ordered "Foie Gras" and our tablemates had never had it before(I was surprised) I let each try a small piece. 6 orders were immediately placed(including another to replace mine) What was it that "Auntie Mame" said? Ah, yes: "Live! Live! Live! Life is like a banquet & most poor suckers are starving!!"

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We did this on Oceania in 2018. We ordered "Foie Gras" and our tablemates had never had it before(I was surprised) I let each try a small piece. 6 orders were immediately placed(including another to replace mine) What was it that "Auntie Mame" said? Ah, yes: "Live! Live! Live! Life is like a banquet & most poor suckers are starving!!"

You have a giant headstart on we who seldom cook, rbtan, but we do enjoy what we eat.  By headstart, I mean you make it known you're a chef and then say that what you are eating is great; "Here, try this,!" you say, and they naturally assume you know the difference between great and decent.  So everyone at your table samples your plate.  I point to my dish of crab apples dipped in something gooey, and suggest a try; my offer falls on deaf ears. I'm no chef and I am best to eat my Crab Apples silently and ignore the rolling eyes. I have never eaten Crab Apples . . . and won't.  Jack Morris