CC message function disabled?

If you want to get the attention of a member just use the @ sign and start typing their user name. You’ll see a list of members pop up and you can select the one you want from the list. Other than that there’s no way to contact folks unless they provide their email address. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Host CJSKIDS for moving this thread to the correct forum! Folks often forget about this forum for the help they need in using the boards.

2 hours ago, californiagirl said:

I just tried to send another CC member a message.  When I tapped on the icon to compose the message a window opened saying “ this function is disabled”.  I rarely send private messages, it is just my account or is it disabled for everyone?  

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

If you want to get the attention of a member just use the @ sign and start typing their user name. You’ll see a list of members pop up and you can select the one you want from the list. Other than that there’s no way to contact folks unless they provide their email address. 

Howdy @californiagirl!

This ^ is an example of what @azbirdmom mentions. After typing the ampersand and the member's user name, a list should start forming of user names & their avatars (aka Profile Photo). When you see the user name & avatar you want, just click it on the list and the tag will then appear in your message. Some members have similar user names so please be sure you click the one with the correct avatar. If the tagged member has Notifications turned on, they will receive a notification that you have tagged them in a post.

Regarding the Cruise Critic message board Message feature, it is available for use by Administrators & Hosts ONLY. We can use it with each other and to members. If one of us contacts a member via the feature, the member cannot reply back to us. The Message feature is disabled for members and has been I think since the AOL days of over twenty-five years ago. I do know for sure it was that way when I joined Cruise Critic in 2005.

However in the olden days when the Cruise Critic message board used vBulletin software, if you and another member had your own registered identities for certain instant messaging networks and placed the info in your Cruise Critic profiles you would then be able to contact each other via those networks. Waaaay back then you could click on User CP or Quick Links then Edit Profile and then scroll down to the Optional Information - All information will be viewable by other forum members section. There you would see the following:

Instant Messaging

You may enter your registered identity for the instant messaging networks if you would like other visitors to be able to contact you using that medium.

• ICQ Number 
  • AIM Screen Name 
  • MSN Messenger Handle 
  • Yahoo! Messenger Handle 
  • Skype Name

Once you entered your registered identity info of one of those networks and clicked the Save Changes button back then, your instant messaging network logo would then appear in the upper right corner of all your Cruise Critic posts under your join date & post count. You and other Cruise Critic members with the same instant messaging network would be able to click the logos appearing on Cruise Critic posts to contact each other via the network.

But those days are loooong gone now that Invision Community software has been used by the Cruise Critic message board since October 2018.

Hope this additional information (and little history lesson from Memory Lane 😀) will be helpful! 

Host Kat

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, HelloKittysMum said:

How can we send contact details to an individual memebr (in this case someone who we are joining a tour group with) without putting our email addres sout there for everyone?

If you are using CC you would have to include a non machine readable email address in a post. Something like "username Gmail com". To further protect your regular email create a temporary email address for just this purpose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HelloKittysMum said:

How can we send contact details to an individual memebr (in this case someone who we are joining a tour group with) without putting our email addres sout there for everyone?

I have a throw out email address I can give out that is only for that purpose. Interestingly I have been able to keep the same throw away account for 18 years. All the spam has ended up in a spam folder.