Do I need to book excursions?

Dodger55

I would really like advice on whether to book excursions at the following ports of call please. 
Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallin, Helsinki, Visby and Skagen. 
I am happy just wandering if within walking distance but I have no idea if this is possible from the ports.  I am sailing with MSC.

Thank you. 

Lets start with some research on the Northern Europe board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

Sometimes it depends on where you are docking...for example, there are two docking areas in Copenhagen...one is walkable to some sites. Hop on Hop off buses stop at both, when a ship is in  port. 

As mentioned, Tallin is walkable.

No need for excursions - maybe a shuttle or public transpor.
Helsinki is in an industrial area - shuttle for a fee to center - then walkable
Copenhagen depend on docking location - post ship and date. Either bus/train to city or just walkable - once in City very walkable.

Skagen in general walkable - alternative is public bus to some remote sights. 
Oslo - also depending on docking location but in general walkable.

You need to do some research.

More details here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

I use a few tools.  First I map my dock on google maps and put it into street view mode to get an idea of where I will be.  There are also quite a few websites and YouTubers who show walking directions with descriptions.  Notably Port Monkeys and Cruisebe on YouTube, Whatisinport.com, Tom’s Port Guides.  I also use AllTrails as many locals will post nice walks in their cities, I understand GPS my city does the same.    

• Thanks 1

Tallinn is one of my favorite cities!. On a cruise stop, you will  want to visit the Old Town. The excursions  desk on the ship, and the tour touts by the gangway will tell you " it's too far to walk ". It isn't.  

It's on a hill (Tompea, iirc) and you can literally see it in front of you.  It's about a 20/25 minute stroll ( it is uphill, if you have mobility  issues ).

Once in the wonderfully preserved  Old Town (a UNESCO world heritage site) there's much to see and do,  especially around the medieval Town Hall Square. 

Plenty of places to eat and drink while there ( if you can find it, I'd recommend  the Hell Hunt pub (actually means 'pale dog') They brew their own beer here ( a light golden brew and a stronger dark beer).

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
  • Thanks 1

Copenhagen - If your ship is at the Langelinie Terminal, you will be right near the Little Mermaid.   It is an easy and enjoyable walk through Kastellet,  by Amalienborg Palace and along the Storget.  If you go all the way to City Hall square, it will be about 2 miles.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Copenhagen - If your ship is at the Langelinie Terminal, you will be right near the Little Mermaid.   It is an easy and enjoyable walk through Kastellet,  by Amalienborg Palace and along the Storget.  If you go all the way to City Hall square, it will be about 2 miles.  

Rick Steves  has called The Little Mermaid the most overrated tourist attraction in the world. I agree with him.

• Like 3

Just now, ontheweb said:

Rick Steves  has called The Little Mermaid the most overrated tourist attraction in the world. I agree with him.

Me too.  Stop.  Look. Then continue walking.  Haha

It isn't the original.  Someone stole the head off the original.  So we now see a replacement head.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The "I wish I had not wasted my time going to see the Little Mermaid group" seems to be growing. LOL

In my view it is cool having statues like that around.  It is just not the "must see" attraction that all the hype is about.  

For first time visitors I think it is probably almost obligatory to see it.  It is one of those tick the box and move on attractions.     

On 8/25/2022 at 6:30 AM, Dodger55 said:

I would really like advice on whether to book excursions at the following ports of call please. 
Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallin, Helsinki, Visby and Skagen. 
I am happy just wandering if within walking distance but I have no idea if this is possible from the ports.  I am sailing with MSC.

Thank you. 

@Dodger55

Your thread has been moved to a more correct forum where it will be on topic.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

On 8/25/2022 at 2:59 PM, hallasm said:

No need for excursions - maybe a shuttle or public transpor.
Helsinki is in an industrial area - shuttle for a fee to center - then walkable

That industrial area feel only applies to Hernesaari, which is common docking site for cruise ships (especially the larger ones), but it is not the only location for cruise ships in Helsinki, some ships do use also Eteläsatama (South Harbour), especially Katajanokka side, which is much closer to the city centre, especially the older empire style parts around the Market Square and Senate Square. 

Also worth a mention that the industrial feel of Hernesaari may some day disappear as there plans to renovate the area, build mainly residential building on the lots that were earlier occupied by cargo harbour related businesses. There has been also plans for a proper cruise terminal. Although these building projects probably won't get into full swing in the next few years as there has been some setbacks on city planning process for the area.

• Thanks 1