Leaving extra daily tips for stewards/bartenders

Having a debate with a friend....

~What is the best way to leave an extra cash tip per day for our room steward....in an envelope, post it note on cash or ....?

~What about extra tips for bartenders? Is it better to give them cash with each order/total bill or add it to the signed receipt copy?

Thanks!

No need to tip the room steward daily. We usually give him/her something when we first meet them and then again on the last night. You can do either or both.

As far as bartenders, we tip them a dollar or two after every drink in cash.

• Like 3

I bring cash and tip the room steward either $50 or $100 on the last night. No hard and fast rule for picking $50 vs $100 other than how I feel the interaction and/or cleaning has been at the end of the week, or if I've decided to tip someone else more than originally planned and so I end up having less cash in my tip envelope, or something like that. 

If I get a drink from a bartender I tip $1 or $2, depending on how I feel or how many $1's are in my wallet at the time, or if it's a drink with more ingredients or they just have a more jovial personality etc, then I tend to tip more vs less.

When I eat in the main dining room I tip the waiters an extra $25 each (head waiter, assistant and the boss guy who comes around on the last night). On my next cruise I bought the dining package and will eat in specialty restaurants every night and I'm thinking I'll probably leave $10-$20 cash tip each meal because that seems like 20% of what the cost of the meals is. 

But you also don't have to tip anything. If you choose to tip, I think tipping in cash makes it easier and more immediate for the employee than other options.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

31 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

And I leave extra tip on the last evening for the cabin Stewart. I never tip on the first day. You don’t tip a waiter in a restaurant when you first sit down at the table do you?

Good point 

• Like 1

We usually tip the room steward extra on the first day, something more if we make any special requests during the week, and more on the last day.

Bartenders a $1 or $2 when ordering a drink.  If we've had an exceptional bartender that we've used a lot during the week, $20-$30 on the last day.

When eating at the buffet we also usually leave a couple of bucks on the table.

• Like 2

We tip per drink and tip the steward at the end of the cruise.  We do not pre-tip.  We tip $1 per drink.    Any server we've used a lot (such as in the DL)  we tip extra at the end.

My wife and I have a few specific extra things that we ask for on day one, e.g. place sheets over the sofa and chairs, extra ice, a hot water kettle for the room, etc.  For this I normally give the room steward $20 at the time we make the request.  

Also, if the room steward does more than just normal cleaning and servicing of the room during the course of the cruise, we trip again on the last night or the morning of the last day of the cruise. 

We consider ourselves to be very low maintenance but if we see that any wait staff, bartenders, room stewards, that we encounter daily put forth a little extra effort, we feel like they should be rewarded. 

14 hours ago, sunlover2 said:

Having a debate with a friend....

~What is the best way to leave an extra cash tip per day for our room steward....in an envelope, post it note on cash or ....?

~What about extra tips for bartenders? Is it better to give them cash with each order/total bill or add it to the signed receipt copy?

Thanks!

Your room steward will leave you an envelope at the end of the cruise. Leave them $5-$10 per person in room per day at end of cruise. 

Tip your bartenders in cash for each drink. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

My wife and I have a few specific extra things that we ask for on day one, e.g. place sheets over the sofa and chairs, extra ice, a hot water kettle for the room, etc.  For this I normally give the room steward $20 at the time we make the request.  

Also, if the room steward does more than just normal cleaning and servicing of the room during the course of the cruise, we trip again on the last night or the morning of the last day of the cruise. 

We consider ourselves to be very low maintenance but if we see that any wait staff, bartenders, room stewards, that we encounter daily put forth a little extra effort, we feel like they should be rewarded. 

Thanks for typing this. 100% same thing. We put the $20 with our premade request list, sometimes with candy or chocolates!

• Like 1