Expectation vs Reality for cruise newbie: MSC Preziosa Northern Europe Cruse Dec 2022

thephatmaster

Hi all,

I've been kindly pointed to this MSC board after posting the below in First Time Cruisers

This may be a purely academic excercise, but I thought it was worth posting anyway, as I could learn a lot from the discussion.

I was tempted to book myself, partner and 3YO onto the MSC Preziosa for the above cruise, which some of our family members are going on.

I travel well, and am happy to slum it a bit for a cheap deal. My partner will tolerate minor annoyances but gets flustered easily on holiday. Who knows about my 3YO!

I watched a lot of Gary and Emma's videos, and read reviews and am unsure about this line and itinerary as a first cruise for us

What I'm looking for:

- cheap and cheerful, lighthearted / relaxing getaway with the family
- package that is as "all inclusive" as possible
- Balcony cabin

Concerns:

- Fom reviews it seems MSC run a somewhat chaotic experience, and I can expect some things to go wrong, and not much customer care if they do.

- reviewers also say the food is bad, and the crew / passengers can be a bit rowdy.
- I worry that there will be lots more money to pay onboard.
- Seasickness - I don't get it AFAIK, but we've never cruised before. Are tablets advisable on this route?

I have 10 more detailed Qs about the trip, but would love to hear your experiences first

Are you talking about Preziosa sailings from Southampton, if so it has been announced that the sailings will now be on Virtuosa which is staying year round in the UK. 

It's a lovely ship, I don't know who Gary and Emma are but it's definitely not chaotic, crew are great and food has been good both times I've been onboard.

Yes, like any cruise particularly in winter it could be rough (or could be smooth) so take precautions incase you get seasick.

Like any cruise you can spend as much as you want onboard but if you have a drink package you don't need to spend another penny if you don't want too. Both times we've been on the ship our onboard account has been less than £100.

• Like 2

How does your 3y/o handle showers?  Because there are no tubs until you book a suite.  And the shower will be very tight with two...  The plus for the balcony is that the third person will have a large sleeper sofa.  The OV and insides have upper bunks.  I would not worry about the food, you can always find something to eat.  Possibly the 3y/o can exist on pizza and ice cream...EM

MSC, like many cruiselines, has it's pros and cons.  Here are a few of them.

Pros:

1. Most of the MSC ships are very nice.

2. Most MSC sailings are well-priced.

3. MSC has a long legacy of shipping, as they are one of the world's largest shippers (container ships).  As a result of this, most ships are well-maintained and I suspect MSC is in better financial condition than most.

4. I like their status match policy for MSC Voyager's Club.

5. Drink packages and some tours often offered at a reasonable price.

Cons:

1. The food is hit or miss.  Rarely exceptional or terrible, but often so-so.

2. The crews are not as friendly as some, but obviously this varies.

3. Customer service can be a train wreck and screw up your reservation.  It's not that they are bad people, but they are not empowered by Italy to fix problems.  Their booking system seems a bit archaic to me.  For example, doing something as simple as changing dinner from early dining to late dining increased my pricing by a lot.

4. Covid testing standards more stringent than many.  Some might consider this a pro, but I don't.

5. International clientele with announcements in many languages.  This can become tedious.

6. You lose all Voyager's Club points and status if you don't sail on MSC within 3 years.

I have not had a bad cruise on MSC, but I've experienced a lot of issues.  It's kind of like having a crazy significant other who has issues but is good looking.  I've written about some of my problems in the thread MSC Comedy of Errors.

That said, I find the value compelling and have 2 cruises booked for 2022 and 1 for 2023.

If you do book, remember my MSC Golden Rule: Once your reservation looks mostly the way you want it to, for God's sake, do not call MSC customer service unless you want them to potentially foul up your reservation!

As an example, I have a cruise booked and I believe I'm eligible for a further discount.  BUT...if I call customer service, I'm pretty sure my nice cabin will disappear, existing discounts will be stripped away, etc.  It's simply not worth the risk.  I provided some specific examples in the thread that I referenced above.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

Thanks I'll check out Virtuosa. My apologies, I thought the forum would be on first name terms with the main two Cruise youtubers I'd been watching Gary (Bambridge - tips for travellers) and Emma Cruises.

The Comedy of MSC errors post is exactly the kind of faff I'd like to avoid.

On more specific things, I'd love to hear your experiences of the following:

1. Is there a good agent for a budget trip like this, who nows MSC's quirks?

2. The base package has hot drinks / water included. We pretty much only drink that at home and won't want alcohol, so I assume that will be fine. Are there any complications about the package I don't know about?

3. I note there is (was?) a £379 balcony deal with *****. Direct that price seems to be £549, which is over-budget. A balcony would be amazing at the ***** price. Is that deal likely to resurface or have I missed the metaphorical boat.

3.1 Assuming I can get a balcony deal.

3.2 If the cabin is unsuitable (noisy, obstructed etc? what are the chances of getting moved?

3.3 Is £50 to pick the cabin worth it? Is that per person?

4. Kids club seems to be free. If that's right does anyone know what this entails for a 3YO? Especially one who doesn't go to nursery yet, so isn't used to being left with random people / a bunch of other kids.

5. The itinerary looks fine for Hamburg and Amsterdam. I plan to just self book local transport as the attractions aren't far from port. With LeHarve it's clearly not "Paris" as billed. Does anyone have any local tips?

6. I've heard mixed reviews about entertainment on MSC. Evening entertainment may be out, as at least one of us will be with the little one in the evening anyway. How is the daytime entertainment for families?

7. Facilities. From videos I've seen, the aquapark looks good for kids, is that right? Is it included in the fare? Similarly with bowling (I think I saw bowling)? 

8. Are gratuities really included, or will I need cash onboard for various in-person gratuities?

9. Whats the coffee, pizza and ice cream sitch? Free, semi-free, paid?

The cruise will cost you £927 booking direct with MSC for an inside room £1207 for one with window and £1487 for a balcony if you are looking at Dec 2nd. This is based on Fantastica experience and includes gratuities.

You will have to talk to family about travel agents as they cannot be recommended on here.

The Aqua park may not be open it's December !! Bowling is an extra charge 

Your little one has to be potty trained to be left.

Never cruised this itinerary in December, you may find Christmas markets but someone may have the answers

Stockjock has given information about 

I like their status match policy for MSC Voyager's Club and You lose all Voyager's Club points and status if you don't sail on MSC within 3 years. these are not relevant at the moment it's your first cruise

Maybe others will chip in with information , but never found the crew standoffish and pizza is free in the buffet

Edited by emmas gran

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

The crews are not as friendly as some

This is actually a pro in my book lol. As long as the crew member is polite and does their job, that’s all I’m looking for. Sure beats the over friendliness on some cruiselines which often comes across as false imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am on what was the Preziosa in Dec week before Xmas now to be the Virtuosa

She is a lot bigger than the Preziosa and newer.

The food Is fine in my eyes but its not about the food for me but for some people it matters that's what makes their cruise but everyone is different and expectations are different.

They are a European cruise line so there are lots of different things to try. Something for everyone. On longer cruises so 5 nights plus they do themed nights so for example they might do in the main restaurants a mediterranean night or an Italian night. There are also speciality restaurants (which you would pay for) from steak to Mexican to sushi and many more. If the main restaurants or speciality are not your thing then there is the buffet which does burger chips currys roasts cold meats cheeses pizza salads world cuisine and much more.

I personally think Msc is good value for money and for what i want to get out of a cruise. I have done all grades of cabins from insides right up to yacht club. 

Gratuities are included in the price regardless. If you really don't want to pay them you would have to go to customer service on board to sort to removing them. 

Children do go a lot cheaper than most other cruise lines too. 

They have kids clubs from babies right up to late teens on board too. 

There is an indoor pool covered which in December is where most people will be rather than the outside one unless the weather is really nice. The waterpark I don't think will be open at that time of year sailing up the English Channel but can't say for definite.

I went on this cruise last year on the Magnifica and still in covid mode so tours were limited mask wearing etc. We did our own thing just used msc for the transfers in to the towns. Hamburg we got there on a Sunday and nothing opened excepted for some of the Xmas markets, Amsterdam we used the transfer and then walked round the city ourselves we also did a canal trip which was a good way of seeing the city too. Bruges we never made it to port at Zeebrugge due to really bad weather hence why I am going again this year as never been there. Le Harve we stayed on ship only because the weather was just bad but planned to go to Rouen this time around.

Regarding the staff. I personally have never encountered rowdy staff and always found them to be helpful and chatty. Maybe I'm just lucky. I love their ships they are clean and yes at the mo you still have to do a antigen/pcr test before you board and yes that annoys some people and others aren't bothered but I guess its more to do with protecting their staff as if you have a crew with covid you have no cruise and experience would not be that great. All the staff still wear masks regardless. 

I have 10msc cruises under my belt and another 5 booked. If it was seriously that bad I am someone who would go elsewhere. 

I say try it then if you don't like it or it's not up to what you want out of a cruise then you don't have to cruise with them again. 

I'll try and answer any of your points that no one else has addressed yet.

We're not allowed to discuss agents on here, try asking anyone you know who cruises regularly, they will know the best agents for MSC. Touch wood we've never had any major issues pre cruise. 

The basic package is called Easy, if you're not fussy about branded alcohol and wines it's a good deal, includes soft drinks, basic alcohol, house wines and some cocktails as well as basic hot drinks. No problems using it onboard.

It's definitely worth paying to pick your cabin if you are already asking about moving if you get noise, obstructions etc. If you go for a guarantee you have to be prepared to get the worst cabin in that category on the ship, someone has to be allocated it!

Sorry my son is grown up so haven't used kids club for years now so no advice.

Le Havre is a town in it's own right, you can just get off and walk around the town yourself which is what we usually do. Honfleur is very nice and much closer than Paris which is a fairly long train or bus ride away but people do it.

Be aware that on these cruises there will be passengers embarking in nearly every port, Hamburg will be the other main port of embarkation. It never bothers us but I know some people moan about it as well as the multiple languages used onboard.

Entertainment is fine, just a bit different to other cruise lines because of all the different nationalities onboard. There are 2 pay extra shows which are worth the money, also suitable for your 3 year old.

Bowling costs extra, once booked you can buy a fun pass which is good value if you like that kind of thing and bowling can be paid for with that.

No extra gratuities required although you can give extra if you wish, no one expects it though.

Pizza is fab and free in the buffet, basic coffee included in the Easy package is good.

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

This is actually a pro in my book lol. As long as the crew member is polite and does their job, that’s all I’m looking for. Sure beats the over friendliness on some cruiselines which often comes across as false imo.

You know what, I'd say that's a con. In some imaginary world I'd like to be greeted each day by name and handed my usual fwappy-cappy-drink-a-chino... But I recon most of my family  would agree with you!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Bruges we never made it to port at Zeebrugge due to really bad weather hence why I am going again this year as never been there

You'll love Bruges, something for everyone and a really pleasant and easy place to visit and enjoy. We've been there loads just hopping on the car-train and driving - every time has been a joy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thephatmaster said:

You know what, I'd say that's a con. In some imaginary world I'd like to be greeted each day by name and handed my usual fwappy-cappy-drink-a-chino... But I recon most of my family  would agree with you!

Don't worry, unless you are very unlucky there will be plenty of staff who will remember your name and your preferences. If you smile and chat to them, people like your cabin steward and waiter will usually respond in a friendly way.

Sorry, just re read your original post and realise you are talking about the non alcoholic package not Easy, it's still straightforward though, no catches. 

Just remember that a lot of the negative stuff you are reading would be the same for any ship, any line some people just like to moan. I would never consider MSC as a budget line, they offer a good product for a very good price. Where else would you get 7 nights in a beautiful environment, with decent food, drinks and entertainment for £549 or even less?

• Like 2

---The Comedy of MSC errors post is exactly the kind of faff I'd like to avoid.

Relax. This won´t happen to you with a simple Balcony cabin booking and no "special discussions". Just keep the booking simple and not touch it after it is done, then you don´t need to worry.

2. No, all fine with this. 

3.2 Usually no chance

3.3 Only you can answer this for yourself, yes, per person. 

4. 3yo usually should have no problem to enjoy the kids/baby club. The staff there was brilliant on all our cruises. Wish I could say this about MSCs other facilities also.

5. You will have no problems in Hamburg and Amsterdam. Le Havre I dont know.

6. There is no real daytime entertainment for families outside the kids club except water park and these outdoor stuff. Bowling and video games are not suitable for a 3yo and need to be paid. 

7. Yes, aqua park is included and great fun for all ages. 

8. Yes, gratuities are fully included, cannot be changed or removed as it is all included in the cruise price.

9. Free at the buffet, otherwise have to pay. For Brits only the coffee also in the MDR (lunch/dinner, morning free for all) is included. 

You don´t need to fear high extra costs as they occur on the US lines, many people leave the MSC ships with a bill of zero. For us it is usually around 50€ for a week. 

2 hours ago, CaroleC said:

This is a big topic at MSC and for the crew members, especially if they come to MSC from RCCL or Carnival. They cannot behave so "over friendly" to European and Asian customers as these will find it annoying or even unacceptable. And will complain that their privacy was not respected. Usually the MSC rule seems to be "be invisible, but if the guest likes to talk with you and introduces himself by its name, follow his standard. Don´t call someone by his name if he did not tell you his name."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

This is a big topic at MSC and for the crew members, especially if they come to MSC from RCCL or Carnival. They cannot behave so "over friendly" to European and Asian customers as these will find it annoying or even unacceptable. And will complain that their privacy was not respected. Usually the MSC rule seems to be "be invisible, but if the guest likes to talk with you and introduces himself by its name, follow his standard. Don´t call someone by his name if he did not tell you his name."

I would never complain about it, however, I do find on some lines that the crew can be very effusive which I feel can come across as ingratiating and false. JMO.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thephatmaster said:

Thanks I'll check out Virtuosa. My apologies, I thought the forum would be on first name terms with the main two Cruise youtubers I'd been watching Gary (Bambridge - tips for travellers) and Emma Cruises.

LOL, youtube!  In all the years I've participated in Cruise Critic, I've only seen a few mentions of youtube. I did try watching a couple that were recommended, and realized they were not a good source of information, and were not very interesting, either.  Just one person's take, and generally tainted by their own likes, dislikes, and preconceptions.

One of the nice things about CC is that information (or opinions) is up to date, and can be modified/debated constantly, just like the comments above on the friendliness, or otherwise, of crew. And then there is actual news, such as vaccine requirements, that can be modified as things change. Keep reading CC!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

LOL, youtube!  In all the years I've participated in Cruise Critic, I've only seen a few mentions of youtube. I did try watching a couple that were recommended, and realized they were not a good source of information, and were not very interesting, either.  Just one person's take, and generally tainted by their own likes, dislikes, and preconceptions.

One of the nice things about CC is that information (or opinions) is up to date, and can be modified/debated constantly, just like the comments above on the friendliness, or otherwise, of crew. And then there is actual news, such as vaccine requirements, that can be modified as things change. Keep reading CC!

You summed up exactly why I love CC, genuine opinions and lots of debate, also some great info.

So many bloggers seem to be influenced by what they can get out of the cruise lines.

Edited by kernow
  • Like 2

I should also say, thanks for the discussion - I have read all of the above posts, even those I didn't quote or reply to.

I've had a great time hearing your experiences and tips, and have found myself an agent to discuss with further.

Thanks again.

Steve

• Like 3

Just one thing, you say the basic package that includes water and tea/coffee. These are only available in the buffet area. If you want bottled water or hot drinks in the MDR or at any of the bars you will have to pay for it.

The issue you will have if you upgrade to a drinks package, Including the non alcoholic one is that you will be charged a child's package price for your 3yo, the non alcoholic package works out to be about £20 per day for adults and £10 per day for kids.

The other option is pay as you go.

budget around

€3.50 for coffee/tea

€2.50 for water

€3.00 for soft drinks/ juice.

Edited by 77red96