Tested Positive for Saturday's cruise- but it was on a home test

blueskadoo

Hi all. My husband unfortunately has come down with covid which means we won't be going on our cruise scheduled for Saturday. He was feeling crappy on Tuesday, so he took a home test, which came back positive. We had scheduled tests with Quest, but haven't gone yet. Now that we know he's positive (and still feels awful) do we still need to get an "official" test so we can get a FCC with Carnival? He'd prefer to not have to get out if he didn't have to but I thought I read on the website that he does need it.  Of course, this is the one cruise I didn't manage to book with my PVP, so I guess I call the 800 number? I'm assuming she can't help me with it. Thank you everyone.

I have not seen the details of canceling due to a positive Covid test since the updated Covid policy for boarding the ship. Since they allow a photo or the actual test strip as proof of a negative test for unvaccinated passengers to board, you would think they would allow a photo of the positive test as proof for cancellation. But that is using logic, and where money and possible refunds are involved, I’m betting they require more proof.

• Like 2

Don't take the chance. Either do another home test with "supervision" or go to a doctor/pharmacy and get a real test. They are used to doing tests on people in your situation. It will all be done in your car with the tester in PPE.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

Since you booked with a PVP, I would call them first. They may be able to get approval for a FCC on the spot and maybe even any bonus OBC you might have gotten. That would seem to be the path of least resistance.

If you read the post, she DID NOT book with her PVP.

• Like 3

I would think the answer to your question is... YES, you need an official test. I suspect testing was required for your cruise so reporting an official positive test seems to be the remedy necessary to obtain your FCC.

What is interesting to me is in a post testing era beginning shortly whether a proctored test result will need to be obtain FCC. Otherwise, Carnival is potentially subject to fraudulent 'don't feel like going' last minute cancelation. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I would think the answer to your question is... YES, you need an official test. I suspect testing was required for your cruise so reporting an official positive test seems to be the remedy necessary to obtain your FCC.

What is interesting to me is in a post testing era beginning shortly whether a proctored test result will need to be obtain FCC. Otherwise, Carnival is potentially subject to fraudulent 'don't feel like going' last minute cancelation. 

It is interesting to think about what it's going to look like when COVID testing is fully over, my guess is getting FCC or money back from a cruise at that point will be up to your travel insurance. The cruise lines will no longer let people cancel and get FCC "just because" they have COVID.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It is interesting to think about what it's going to look like when COVID testing is fully over, my guess is getting FCC or money back from a cruise at that point will be up to your travel insurance. The cruise lines will no longer let people cancel and get FCC "just because" they have COVID.

I think we're a ways from that. Not requiring testing and actually welcoming symptomatic COVID folks onboard are pretty different things. I believe showing a positive test will earn FCC and 'thanks for being safe and honest' for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Carnival's process for claiming the positive test FCC has not changed despite the loosening of pre-cruise testing protocols for guests. It's all in black and white on their website. https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-refund-cancellation-policy

mz-s has it with the link they provided.  It is clear as day.  Says you MUST have an official test and make sure it has all the other required personal info listed on it too - just like the negatives for boarding before did.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, blueskadoo said:

Of course, this is the one cruise I didn't manage to book with my PVP, so I guess I call the 800 number? I'm assuming she can't help me with it.

Sorry you can’t go on your cruise.  

Regardless of whether your PVP booked this particular cruise, if it takes to long to get through on the main line, you should call your PVP and she should be happy to assist based on your past history as her client. I would expect this from my PVP. 

I tested positive using an onpoint monitored home test a couple of weeks back.  I called and told them I tested positive and the four of us would not be cruising.  They did not ask for any proof and quickly did the FCC and refunded to my credit card what we paid for taxes/port fees.  We had the pending credit card refund and used the FCC to rebook within two days.  So maybe call and see what they say and if they ask you to email in a copy of the labs do the onpoint thing.  You can use any home test you have handy so no reason for hubby to go anywhere.  Best of luck and hope he feels better soon. 

• Like 1