RC just changed vaccine requirement for TAs - all over 5 vaccinated - can I get money bacK

5 hours ago, inspiration100 said:

While I appreciate that a refund might be available from Royal, that really doesn't help with flights and hotels and everything already booked for a transatlantic cruise within 60 days.  They told me nobody could deal with it tonight and I need to call back tomorrow.  What a joke of a company.

Do you have travel insurance?

2 hours ago, Shand9219 said:

Do you have travel insurance?

Sure do, but I doubt they'd cover this situation.  They'll blame Royal or us.  I don't believe it's possible for her to get the vaccine within 2 months.  She's 4 now and will be 5 in early October.  The dosage before 5 is 3 shots spread out over more time.

2 hours ago, inspiration100 said:

Sure do, but I doubt they'd cover this situation.  They'll blame Royal or us.  I don't believe it's possible for her to get the vaccine within 2 months.  She's 4 now and will be 5 in early October.  The dosage before 5 is 3 shots spread out over more time.

That brings up an interesting situation.  Even when the vaccine requirement age was 12 and not 5, and before the FDA had EUA for vaccines for kids under 12, I guess that someone with a child that was currently under 12 but would turn 12 before boarding would have to really keep up with the dates to make sure there was enough time before the cruise to get the child vaccinated.  Of course that's different than this case where the rules were changed after the cruise was booked, but it just goes to show how complicated all of this can be.  

19 minutes ago, rudeney said:

That brings up an interesting situation.  Even when the vaccine requirement age was 12 and not 5, and before the FDA had EUA for vaccines for kids under 12, I guess that someone with a child that was currently under 12 but would turn 12 before boarding would have to really keep up with the dates to make sure there was enough time before the cruise to get the child vaccinated.  Of course that's different than this case where the rules were changed after the cruise was booked, but it just goes to show how complicated all of this can be.  

That did happen to a few people  right after Adventure started sailing last year. As soon as FDA approved the 12 - 18 Royal adjusted the requirements and some families couldn't get the kids vaccinated fast enough due to birthdays prior to the cruise date.

Why assume that insurance won’t cover whatever isn’t reimbursed from cruiseline, airline or hotel?  CALL AND ASK.

If you don’t ask, you definitely won’t get anything, but who knows what you’ll get by asking.

you may need to see what gets reimbursed first, but calling now may give you some peace of mind

Wishing you good luck

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bocker3 said:

Why assume that insurance won’t cover whatever isn’t reimbursed from cruiseline, airline or hotel?  CALL AND ASK.

If you don’t ask, you definitely won’t get anything, but who knows what you’ll get by asking.

you may need to see what gets reimbursed first, but calling now may give you some peace of mind

Wishing you good luck

You don’t have to assume. The covered reasons are listed in the policy under Cancellation.

Just now, Babr said:

You don’t have to assume. The covered reasons are listed in the policy under Cancellation.

No, you are still assuming.  Legalese always leave room for interpretation and agents can help.  I’ve, personally experienced it with insurance.  So, I stand by the fact that not asking gets you nothing guaranteed, but asking provides the hope of something good happening.  If it is still “no” you are no worse off than before - other than the loss of a little time on the phone.

• Like 2

I think people are getting confused as there are other people  on the same sailing also posting and people are confusing us and our posts
of course I have insurance. My main issue was that I was told RC would refund in vouchers. Vouchers are no good to me. I live in UAE, there are not a lot of cruises with RC near my area. Insurance does not cover me if I get vouchers. I booked this cruise 4 years ago (and then it was lift and shift)
Also, cancel for any reason insurance is only a US thing. I would have to fake a Covid positive diagnosis 2 days before the cruise for my insurance to kick in (for the record, my travel insurance is 2,000 USD a year). 
Fear not, I was able to cancel the cruise, they will allegedly refund me in 45 working days, and they put the cabin back on the website for double what I paid. So win win for Royal

• Like 13

5 hours ago, MaryM1234 said:

of course I have insurance. My main issue was that I was told RC would refund in vouchers. Vouchers are no good to me. I live in UAE, there are not a lot of cruises with RC near my area. Insurance does not cover me if I get vouchers.

Thank you for pointing that out. I wish people would read more carefully or think a little more critically before pouncing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Btw if I recall correctly on our April TA on Jewel the children also needed to be vaccinated.  A couple from the UK also had that problem not sure what they did.  Didn't have enough time to vaccinate their child.  So vaccination requirements for TAs are not new.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:18 AM, MaryM1234 said:
Please someone help, as I am about to have a nervous breakdown. We paid a LOT of money for star call on the Wonder of the Seas Transantlatic. Everything is paid up. We have just received an email to say you need to be fully vaccinated from age 5 (it was 12). Our son is 10. There is no way, even if we wanted to, he would be fully vaccinated in 2 months.
It says if he is not vaccinated, we will be denied boarding. How can I get our money back? and I mean actual money back, and not vouchers? It is a LOT of money, and I will never spend this kind of money again on a RC cruise (I booked it 4 years ago when I had a different job).
Please help.

He needs two shots 3-4 weeks apart. You have 2 months. You can do this.

you booked it 4 years ago, and it was required to have a vaccine, and they just reminded you that you need a vaccine?  So what changed?  Nothing changed.  However, if you want solutions, you need to call them, and not post on message boards that can't help you.  This is not the cruise line.  

On 9/2/2022 at 2:59 AM, MaryM1234 said:

…Fear not, I was able to cancel the cruise, they will allegedly refund me in 45 working days, and they put the cabin back on the website for double what I paid. So win win for Royal

That’s great to hear you are getting a refund.

42 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

you booked it 4 years ago, and it was required to have a vaccine, and they just reminded you that you need a vaccine?  So what changed?  Nothing changed.  However, if you want solutions, you need to call them, and not post on message boards that can't help you.  This is not the cruise line.  

What changed??? 🤣  They changed the age from 12 down to 5. For some people that’s a BIG change and can screw with their plans if already booked.

15 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s great to hear you are getting a refund.

What changed??? 🤣  They changed the age from 12 down to 5. For some people that’s a BIG change and can screw with their plans if already booked.

I think it was that way for our April TA.  Not really that new.

• Like 1