RC just changed vaccine requirement for TAs - all over 5 vaccinated - can I get money bacK

Please someone help, as I am about to have a nervous breakdown. We paid a LOT of money for star call on the Wonder of the Seas Transantlatic. Everything is paid up. We have just received an email to say you need to be fully vaccinated from age 5 (it was 12). Our son is 10. There is no way, even if we wanted to, he would be fully vaccinated in 2 months.
It says if he is not vaccinated, we will be denied boarding. How can I get our money back? and I mean actual money back, and not vouchers? It is a LOT of money, and I will never spend this kind of money again on a RC cruise (I booked it 4 years ago when I had a different job).
Please help.

22 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Boy, I’d call Royal and explain all that to them. They’ve gotta give you your money back or give you a vaccine exemption for your child. They may very well grant your child an exemption, and you can still enjoy this special cruise. Wishing you luck!!

Good advice.  Stay FIRM.  ETA perhaps she prefers not to vaccinate her 10 year old. Edited again to say to @cruisequeen4ever my second sentence is not directed at you, but, the others that are recommending vaccination.

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Like 1

I’m seriously wondering if this was a typo or mistake. We have already made final payment, and many on this sailing have kids. I don’t have any, but I would be livid that it changed 2 months before sailing.

I would bet Royal is getting a lot of phone calls right now.

There are also other TA’s besides Wonder.

Edited by crzndeb

Let’s not get into the discussion about whether or not to get your kid vaxxed. It is nobody’s business what people decide for their own child. The issue is, Royal changed this protocol AFTER final payment.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Let’s not get into the discussion about whether or not to get your kid vaxxed. It is nobody’s business what people decide for their own child. The issue is, Royal changed this protocol AFTER final payment.

At last, an adult joins the thread. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Update. Sorry should have added: when I booked the cruise, we were living in the U.K. we now live in UAE. We spent the last few months between our home towns, so although we had the vaccine, our son did not (not eligible when we left). My son actually has Covid right now, which he caught on the 2 week Anthem cruise last week (I don’t know wether to laugh or cry..)   We go back to UAE next week. The space between the first dose and second done is 3 months. Hence the issue. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MaryM1234 said:

Update. Sorry should have added: when I booked the cruise, we were living in the U.K. we now live in UAE. We spent the last few months between our home towns, so although we had the vaccine, our son did not (not eligible when we left). My son actually has Covid right now, which he caught on the 2 week Anthem cruise last week (I don’t know wether to laugh or cry..)   We go back to UAE next week. The space between the first dose and second done is 3 months. Hence the issue. 

Just to clarify - in the UAE you need to wait 3 months in between doses?  Is that a government regulation or are you receiving a vaccine other than Pfizer or JJ?

And I respect your decision if it is a decision not to get your child vaccinated, but am just confused by the statement that you need to wait 3 months because that is very different from vaccine administration in the US. Irregardless  I hope you are able to get a refund.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, MaryM1234 said:

My son actually has Covid right now, which he caught on the 2 week Anthem cruise last week (I don’t know wether to laugh or cry..)  

That complicates things for those saying "get the vaccine" because even the CDC said not to get vaccinated until 90 days after recovery from COVID, as the amount of antibodies in your system would likely nullify anything the vaccine was trying to do. 

Get a qualified diagnosis from a lab on his having COVID now, and perhaps you can use the certificate of recovery process?

• Like 3

I know the certificate of recovery can take the place of a negative test but not sure it applies to the unvaccinated.  OP, I would request a full refund based on material change to health protocols after final payment.

7 hours ago, MaryM1234 said:
Please someone help, as I am about to have a nervous breakdown. We paid a LOT of money for star call on the Wonder of the Seas Transantlatic. Everything is paid up. We have just received an email to say you need to be fully vaccinated from age 5 (it was 12). Our son is 10. There is no way, even if we wanted to, he would be fully vaccinated in 2 months.
It says if he is not vaccinated, we will be denied boarding. How can I get our money back? and I mean actual money back, and not vouchers? It is a LOT of money, and I will never spend this kind of money again on a RC cruise (I booked it 4 years ago when I had a different job).
Please help.

As Royal Caribbean changed their boarding requirements since final payment I'd imagine you'd be entitled to a full refund. Unless they've stated in their terms for your booking they have the right to change vaccination requirements at any time? Is there anything in your booking about that?

I'm sorry for you. What a bad situation. Whatever someone's opinion on vaccination, I'm sure they're getting quite a lot of call about this change right now. I hope you get sorted

9 hours ago, MaryM1234 said:
Please help.

1 hour ago, inspiration100 said:

Same problem here... have a 5 year old scheduled on the same cruise (transatlantic Wonder of the Seas).  Can you please let me know what you find out??  About to have a panic attack as well.

Call.

In one of Royals documents it states that if the vaccine protocols change and you are unable to sail you will be entitled to a refund.   Just saw this the other day when looking fir something else.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

While I appreciate that a refund might be available from Royal, that really doesn't help with flights and hotels and everything already booked for a transatlantic cruise within 60 days.  They told me nobody could deal with it tonight and I need to call back tomorrow.  What a joke of a company.

Edited by inspiration100

Did you get a print out of his positive test? I would ask about certificate of recovery. Rooting for you to get every penny back if they won't do that. I'm very pro-vaxx but I'm very anti-companies changing the rules to something you can't possibly do after they have your money.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Did you get a print out of his positive test? I would ask about certificate of recovery. Rooting for you to get every penny back if they won't do that. I'm very pro-vaxx but I'm very anti-companies changing the rules to something you can't possibly do after they have your money.

Certificate of recovery only negates the need to test.  It has never been a replacement to the vaccination requirement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, inspiration100 said:

While I appreciate that a refund might be available from Royal, that really doesn't help with flights and hotels and everything already booked for a transatlantic cruise within 60 days.  They told me nobody could deal with it tonight and I need to call back tomorrow.  What a joke of a company.

That's when you make a claim on your travel insurance. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MaryM1234 said:
 There is no way, even if we wanted to, he would be fully vaccinated in 2 months.

We (two adults) were recently in a situation where we needed to get the two-shot vax in less than 2 months to be able to cruise. In our country, the health authorities are recommending a period of 6 weeks between the two initial shots. However, the EU marketing approval stipulates a minimum of only 3 weeks, and after a brief discussion and some insisting from our part, they agreed to give us the shots with only 3 weeks in between. (I'm not saying that our decision to get vaxxed just to be able to cruise was a prudent one, nor that you should do it with a child, only that it may be possible to get the shots within a shorter time period than the official recommendation).

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, MaryM1234 said:

So sorry mama!  I caught Covid and tested positive the day after I got home from my Discovery Princess cruise.  It was about 4 weeks before I was going to be eligible for my booster.  If I remember correctly it was around 90 days before they would let me be boosted after catching Covid.  Does your son have to wait?  I hope he gets well soon and does not have symptoms.