Oceania Air

Cape Hernlopen

We are scheduled (two prior cancellations) for the Oct 21- Nov 10 Regatta Papeete to Darwin cruise.  On Monday, August 22 my TA contacted Oceania via e-mail and telephone of our desire to invoke the "air deviation option" and pay the required fees.  This was within hours of our receiving Oceania's flight information.  Our selected replacement flights were with Qantas/Delta the carriers that Oceania was using for the trip. Last Thursday my TA was told that flight information and any additional costs would be available by Monday (Aug. 29).   We received no information from Oceania.  My TA called Oceania and was eventually told that we would "definitely have the information by no later than Wednesday".  It is now almost 4:00 p. m. and we have no response from Oceania. Is it customary to wait 10 days for a simple and standard request?  Any suggestions as to what we should do?  This delay is impacting our hotel and tour selections for our pre and post cruise.

Joel Barry

at this late date  their allocations for those cruises may be used up so they may have to negotiate with the contracted airlines  for  more seats

Then we have the airlines cutting back on flights to add to the mix

The earlier you request  flight deviation the better chance you have of getting what you prefer

JMO

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

We are scheduled (two prior cancellations) for the Oct 21- Nov 10 Regatta Papeete to Darwin cruise.  On Monday, August 22 my TA contacted Oceania via e-mail and telephone of our desire to invoke the "air deviation option" and pay the required fees.  This was within hours of our receiving Oceania's flight information.  Our selected replacement flights were with Qantas/Delta the carriers that Oceania was using for the trip. Last Thursday my TA was told that flight information and any additional costs would be available by Monday (Aug. 29).   We received no information from Oceania.  My TA called Oceania and was eventually told that we would "definitely have the information by no later than Wednesday".  It is now almost 4:00 p. m. and we have no response from Oceania. Is it customary to wait 10 days for a simple and standard request?  Any suggestions as to what we should do?  This delay is impacting our hotel and tour selections for our pre and post cruise.

Joel Barry

Some folks love the supposed “convenience” of O air. You may find yourself in the “other”group.

There are obvious plusses/minuses to not DIYing air. And there’s a ton of CC threads discussing the specifics. Perhaps except that you have a TA in the mix, why not call O’s Air Dept. direct? If it doesn’t involve a change to the finances associated with your O fare structure, it may be that you can work this out yourself. Just make the conversation “al dente” (firm but tender).

FWIW:  We do bizclass for intercontinental flights from the US and even O’s Air Dept recommends DIY for bizclass. I mention this because using a TA for air (and O’s air dept. is acting as a TA) means you must go through them to handle any air changes (now so often found necessary worldwide) while DIYers can call the airlines directly.

Bottom line: When the airport “poop hits the fan,” there’s a whole new definition of “convenience.”

Best of luck with this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:I mention this because using a TA for air (and O’s air dept. is acting as a TA) means you must go through them to handle any air changes (now so often found necessary worldwide) while DIYers can call the airlines directly.

Bottom line: When the airport “poop hits the fan,” there’s a whole new definition of “convenience.”

Best of luck with this. 

The unpleasant fact of the matter is “when the poop hits the fan” it makes little difference that O is your travel agent.  When flights are cancelled and rebooking is necessary, O is only a sideline cheerleader and is quick to advise that the passenger is the one to make the rearrangements.  Trust me, on our last cruise using O air, we hade cancellations both going and returning and O was supportive but of little use is solving the rescheduling issue.  I only use O air when I am unable to book DIY with air miles or I can get a better cash price.

14 minutes ago, shank63 said:

The unpleasant fact of the matter is “when the poop hits the fan” it makes little difference that O is your travel agent.  When flights are cancelled and rebooking is necessary, O is only a sideline cheerleader and is quick to advise that the passenger is the one to make the rearrangements.  Trust me, on our last cruise using O air, we hade cancellations both going and returning and O was supportive but of little use is solving the rescheduling issue.  I only use O air when I am unable to book DIY with air miles or I can get a better cash price.

Interesting comment.

when we were on the last Nautica cruise before shutdown and final destination was changed  to Dubai, O air folks were told to do nothing as O air dept would make all rebookings. We DIYers got free satellite phone service and up to $500 in change fees coverage.

I waited about 20 minutes to get to one of the phones and had new flights shortly thereafter. Some O air users I talked with waited hours for new flights abd some of them found they’d have to spend at least an extra day in Dubai. 

Remember that there is limited lift into PPT.  From SFO, UA has five flights a week, with French Bee (a very discount carrier) having three.  From LAX, Air Tahiti Nui has 10 flights a week, Air France has 5 and Delta has none yet.  Hawaiian flies in once a week from Honolulu.

So, I'm really curious about taking Delta and Qantas for your flights.

All of which could be answered by just posting your current and desired flights upfront.  But without that data, I can't give you any information that could help you.

Asking for flights now for October 2022 is really late.  We made Delta flight reservations 8 months back and just checked if we were to make reservations now, the cost is double what we paid.  I would expect that Oceania is trying their best to come up with reasonable prices, but....I would expect an additional charge.

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Thank you for your comments.  Several additional facts might change your responses since it appears that my actions or inactions are to blame.  Our cruise was completely changed three weeks ago from Tokyo to Hong Kong to Papeete to Darwin.  When we signed up for the cruise Japan was closed to tourists and no flights were available.  We received our flight information for the Papeete to Darwin cruise on Monday, August 22.  We responded within two hours with proposed changes.  My hands were virtually tied and going with Oceania air was the only option.

Joel Barry

19 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Thank you for your comments.  Several additional facts might change your responses since it appears that my actions or inactions are to blame.  Our cruise was completely changed three weeks ago from Tokyo to Hong Kong to Papeete to Darwin.  When we signed up for the cruise Japan was closed to tourists and no flights were available.  We received our flight information for the Papeete to Darwin cruise on Monday, August 22.  We responded within two hours with proposed changes.  My hands were virtually tied and going with Oceania air was the only option.

Joel Barry

What is the closest major airport to you?

22 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Happy to report that I just received my flight confirmations with record locator number from Oceania via my TA. All flights were exactly as requested and without any additional charges.  It took a while but Oceania delivered.

Joel Barry

Did you have to pay the deviation fee?   Also are you going coach or PE

9 hours ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Roberts:

We paid the $350 deviation fee for the two of us.  We are flying coach but will upgrade with the airlines for the two overnight flights.

Joel Barry

Thank you.  Please come back and post when you are aware of the charges to upgrade.

12 hours ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

We paid the $350 deviation fee for the two of us.  We are flying coach but will upgrade with the airlines for the two overnight flights.

I hope everyone is aware that upgrading cruiseline air tickets is not a slam dunk.  Depending on the airline and ticket, you need to have:

1) A ticket where the fare basis allows for upgrading (which many bulk tickets do not have)

2) Having the correct "currency" (miles, points, cash, combination) to upgrade

3) Having available inventory - not just inventory in the upgraded cabin, but in the specific fare bucket for upgrade tickets.

And just for reference, upgrades in/out of PPT are rarely available, as premium cabins have little problem being sold out as revenue tickets.  Same with flights from Australia to the USA -- historically one of the most difficult premium cabins to get as an award or upgrade.  (Usually, the best chances are to give up on the non-stops from Sydney or Brisbane and route via an Asian hub)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I hope everyone is aware that upgrading cruiseline air tickets is not a slam dunk.  Depending on the airline and ticket, you need to have:

1) A ticket where the fare basis allows for upgrading (which many bulk tickets do not have)

2) Having the correct "currency" (miles, points, cash, combination) to upgrade

3) Having available inventory - not just inventory in the upgraded cabin, but in the specific fare bucket for upgrade tickets.

And just for reference, upgrades in/out of PPT are rarely available, as premium cabins have little problem being sold out as revenue tickets.  Same with flights from Australia to the USA -- historically one of the most difficult premium cabins to get as an award or upgrade.  (Usually, the best chances are to give up on the non-stops from Sydney or Brisbane and route via an Asian hub)

Amen.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

Happy to report that I just received my flight confirmations with record locator number from Oceania via my TA. All flights were exactly as requested and without any additional charges.  It took a while but Oceania delivered.

Joel Barry

Which does NOT mean that you are ticketed for those flights.  You merely have a "reservation" until such time that you have a 13 digit ticket number assigned to you.

Those can still be very easily changed - don't go taking this to the bank yet.