Unlimited Dining Package - Giovanni's lunch

sheezsmith

My DW and I have the UDP for our 9 night cruise from Rome at the end of the month and have used it before, however our cruise is port intensive and I have looked on the App and it states that some (not all) of the specialty restaurants are open on port days. For example Giovanni's is open day 1,3, 4, 7 and 8, will we be allowed to have lunch on those days with the UDP as it is open? 

We have had the UDP on a number of occasions as it feels more intimate and less rushed, but each to their own. 

2 hours ago, Roybthered said:

My DW and I have the UDP for our 9 night cruise from Rome at the end of the month and have used it before, however our cruise is port intensive and I have looked on the App and it states that some (not all) of the specialty restaurants are open on port days. For example Giovanni's is open day 1,3, 4, 7 and 8, will we be allowed to have lunch on those days with the UDP as it is open? 

We have had the UDP on a number of occasions as it feels more intimate and less rushed, but each to their own. 

Any specialty restaurant that is open is available to you with the UDP.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, SAmome said:

So, this is another one of those instances like the corkage fee where you think you get it reading the fine print but the "in practice" is different. 😂

image.png.9d51200c7f296279931d4d77f2819367.png

The specialty restaurants usually are only open for lunch on sea days. I say usually in case this has changed since my last cruise.

On 9/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, sheezsmith said:

We are traveling with our adult kids. On Embarkation Day if my husband and I who have the UDP want to have lunch at Giovanni's can my son and DIL join us and have some of what we order? All 4 of us have the Deluxe Beverage Package and hoped to have a few glasses of wine and a light lunch as we reserve our shows and dining. Thanks for the help!

Buy them the 3 day plan.

We are traveling with our adult kids. On Embarkation Day if my husband and I who have the UDP want to have lunch at Giovanni's can my son and DIL join us and have some of what we order? All 4 of us have the Deluxe Beverage Package and hoped to have a few glasses of wine and a light lunch as we reserve our shows and dining. Thanks for the help!

Buy them the 3 day plan.

3 hours ago, TRadle said:

The specialty restaurants usually are only open for lunch on sea days. I say usually in case this has changed since my last cruise.

While that may be true of the traditional restaurants like Chops and Giovannis others like Playmakers, Johnny Rockets, and Portside BBQ are open on port days starting early afternoon and can definitely be used for a late lunch on port days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pattak619 said:

Can you have lunch and dinner on the same day.?

Not only yes, but you can get really creative. Think "unlimited." For dinner go to Izumi for sushi appetizers, then head to Chops for dinner, and finish it off at Playmakers with a Campfire Cookie for dessert. Then head to your cabin for some antacid.... See how many days you can keep that up! 🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Emb77 said:

With the UDP , can you book your restaurants before you travel using the cruise planner ? 

thank you

When you buy it, you will be prompted to schedule the first dinner on night one or two of the cruise.  It doesn't ask you which restaurant, so it's really not a true reservation - it's just a placeholder in the system.  When you board, you will need to visit any specialty venue and schedule all of your meals.

If you are in a suite (GS or above), you can pre-book meals.  The concierge will email you sometime the week before the cruise and you can reply with the reservations you want. 

I have also heard that some people will purchase the UDP, then also purchased individual meals for each night which are actual reservations.  Then once aboard, they go to Guest Services and get the individual meal purchases refunded as OBC.   This does not sound like a great option to me, though.

Im  finding it very confusing. 

We have 550 on board credit and in a junior suite. I was wanting to use this against a UDP but our OBC isn't showing up on cruise planner. 

Any advice will be much appreciated 

thank you 

2 hours ago, Emb77 said:

Im  finding it very confusing. 

We have 550 on board credit and in a junior suite. I was wanting to use this against a UDP but our OBC isn't showing up on cruise planner. 

Any advice will be much appreciated 

thank you 

Your OBC is likely from your travel agent, which means it won't show up until you're on board.

Only OBC that comes from Royal with your booking is available in advance.

Thanks all, they do have the 3 night dining, and I just read that both the UDP and 3 night allow $20 in a la carte ordering, so Giovanni's Wine Bar we can kick off the cruise together!!!

So that is our plan, we never intended to skirt paying for anything!!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 11:38 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

I have to disagree. 

Meals charges are per person, not order extra and feed two more adults.    Those without the package need to pay the cover.   So sad to suggest putting the manager in an uncomfortable position  to say no to the passenger and fear a bad review.    The OP should not ask for two free meals, even if they ask politely. 

Frankly, I was shocked to read the initial post  suggesting the sharing ( with adults).  

M

Absolutely. Would these people expect to go to an all you can eat buffet, pay for two and expect to feed four adults for the same price (even if they don’t eat much and they ask politely)? So rude. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:57 PM, brillohead said:

Your OBC is likely from your travel agent, which means it won't show up until you're on board.

We have booked with RC direct 

Did you just ask if your can split your plate, and let your son and DIL take scraps from your plate?  

If you want drinks together, then go to a bar.  But if you want food, your food is paid for, and they pay for their own food, or don't go.

43 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Did you just ask if your can split your plate, and let your son and DIL take scraps from your plate?  

If you want drinks together, then go to a bar.  But if you want food, your food is paid for, and they pay for their own food, or don't go.

no, not what I was asking. 

Thanks all, they do have the 3 night dining, and I just read that both the UDP and 3 night allow $20 in a la carte ordering, so Giovanni's Wine Bar we can kick off the cruise together!!!

So that is our plan, we never intended to skirt paying for anything!!

On 9/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

I believe the  three night plan is only for dinner.  

M

My understanding is you can use it for lunch as well... 
But with lunch being a lesser dollar amount, why would you want ti use it for lunch. Just pay the extra charge for the lunch and use the 3 night plan for dinner. 
JMO  

On 9/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, rudeney said:

I have also heard that some people will purchase the UDP, then also purchased individual meals for each night which are actual reservations.  Then once aboard, they go to Guest Services and get the individual meal purchases refunded as OBC.   This does not sound like a great option to me, though.

I have heard they will refund the UDP and let you keep your pre-paid dinner plans.
They have it set up the way they do to let people have the UDP for a discounted rate. Trying to bypass the system will actually end up costing more in the long run. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, brillohead said:

Its not always that clear.  For example, we already see shareholder benefits and AMEX platinum OBC for our December cruise already applied to our cruise planner.