Can you walk from the cruise port in Barcelona?

wonlife64

Unless they have changed things YES, it is POSSIBLE to do the walk.  However, NO, it is not advisable.  When I last departed from Barcelona on a cruise, there were people doing the walk.  It's up and over a long bridge.  Further than it looks on the maps.  It was HOT.  They looked miserable.  And it only gets worse if your ship happens to be one at the end of the long line of ships boarding that day.  Do yourself a favor and take a taxi.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You can also take the blue bus, which does little more than take you from the port to the closest edge of the city (Columbus statue near Ramblas and Gothic Quarter), which might be more economical if it is only one or two of you and your hotel is close to the drop off point.    

• Like 1

DW and I have done the walk many times.  The distance really depends on where, along the very long pier, you are docked.  If at the more distant terminal it nearly a 2 mile walk.  There is good walkway over the long bridge and we love the exercise.   No safety issues other than watching for traffic hen crossing roads/streets.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We exited our cruise ship in Barcelona late September, 2022  and walked (only had carry-on luggage) to our hotel in Gothic quarter in about 30 minutes. Easy and seemed safe. Guess it depends where ship is docked. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 5:50 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

There's a shuttle operated by the port, though it may have a day or two when it's not running.  Google to find the Port of Barcelona website for information. The shuttle goes to Columbus circle with the statue of Columbus. 

Is there a charge for the shuttle to Columbus circle?

This is what I researched for our September trip.

The blue cruise bus departs from the parking lot in front of each of the ports 4 terminals and drops you near the Columbus Monument.  €4.50 round trip, cash only.

We visited a few weeks ago.  We were on one of Oceania's small ships and the ship was assigned to dock (for embarkation) near the World Trade Center, which is quite near the large Teleferico base with the cable cars going overhead to Montjuic. That has been typical for O's small ships recently, but as the port assigns dock locations, there's no guaranty of where a ship will end up.  This location is different from where most cruise ships dock, but if you're lucky enough to be assigned there ("World Trade Center") the walk will be a little shorter than if you're on the long quay.  After checking in, I went back out and walked to Drassanes Metro. I forget how long it took, but it wasn't too bad of a walk.  But if I had to do it again, I'd probably just find the cruise bus (although I didn't see exactly where it stopped near World Trade Center/Hotel next to pier) and  then walk a little from Columbus to the Metro station.  (I wanted to see Sagrada.)  Or perhaps I'd take a taxi. Even with maps.me on my phone, the walk was a little confusing.   

The port bus has specific stops at on the road at each terminal, not exactly in the parking lot, going to the WTC; From there it's less than 10 minutes to Drassanes, one entrance is in the middle of the Las Ramblas but not actually visible from WTC. One warning- Barcelona has a terrible reputation for pickpockets, especially in that area.

• 3 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, wonlife64 said:

This will be our first time cruising into Barcelona. We have booked a hotel not far from the port. Just wondering if it is allowed or advisable to walk from the cruise port.

Thank You

As someone has already written, take the "Bus Blau" (Blue bus in Catalan). It will take you to the other corner of the Port, near Ramblas. You can walk around Old City there or take the Underground at Drassanes station (means ShipYards... hence location).

Taxi is affordable compared with other cities, although departing from the harbour has the same extra charge than departing for the airport.

On 5/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, Dancer Bob said:

The port bus has specific stops at on the road at each terminal, not exactly in the parking lot, going to the WTC; From there it's less than 10 minutes to Drassanes, one entrance is in the middle of the Las Ramblas but not actually visible from WTC. One warning- Barcelona has a terrible reputation for pickpockets, especially in that area.

I strongly agree. Be awared of pickpockets around Ramblas and the Cathedral.

It is enough to be awared. Everytime I have walked there (I am not from Barcelona, I just go from time to time), I always see around me and .... I always find people seeing me.

It is enough to be alerted. Pickpockets will forget you and will try with other people.