Cabin 7714 Liberty of the Seas---warning

njkruzer

Don't take this the wrong way.  We absolutely love the cabin. Very spacious and comfortable.  Yes, like everything else on board it needs updating.  Cabin attendant is great, as is the rest of the crew. The only problem is the balcony.  This is an aft facing cabin. Knew it would have an obstructed view from the super structure.  Again no problem.  The problem is that cabin and balcony are set back about 30 feet from the aft of the ship. We seldom, if ever, get a breeze.  The heat builds up on the completely covered balcony and it's very hot out there, even at night. We often walk on deck 4 in the evening.  We sit on the chairs. Always get a breeze.  I assume in January this wouldn't be a problem but beware of August sailing from Galveston!  Very, very hot!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did oasis ocean view balcony out of miami and the balcony was unusable for me in the sun especially. Every time I cruise when it's super hot I remind myself why I prefer winter cruises. 

I had a corner aft on liberty last march and i thought the weather was perfect then. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Don't take this the wrong way.  We absolutely love the cabin. Very spacious and comfortable.  Yes, like everything else on board it needs updating.  Cabin attendant is great, as is the rest of the crew. The only problem is the balcony.  This is an aft facing cabin. Knew it would have an obstructed view from the super structure.  Again no problem.  The problem is that cabin and balcony are set back about 30 feet from the aft of the ship. We seldom, if ever, get a breeze.  The heat builds up on the completely covered balcony and it's very hot out there, even at night. We often walk on deck 4 in the evening.  We sit on the chairs. Always get a breeze.  I assume in January this wouldn't be a problem but beware of August sailing from Galveston!  Very, very hot!  

We’ve sailed in 7408 (corner aft) on Liberty and loved it, but you’re right, there was a lot less breeze than on typical balconies. It’s always good to know what to expect for the various cabin types.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2022 at 1:46 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We’ve sailed in 7408 (corner aft) on Liberty and loved it, but you’re right, there was a lot less breeze than on typical balconies. It’s always good to know what to expect for the various cabin types.

We stayed in 7408, and agree about the loss of breeze....but OH, what a balcony!

• Like 2

We were in 7708 (the other corner aft) in early September.  It was hot, of course, but our balcony was very comfortable.  This corner aft has a big portside porthole opening plus the open back, so the breeze could reach us from two directions.  DH brought his hammock, and we spent lots of very enjoyable time out there!!  He hung out in the hammock, and I used one of the loungers....ahhh...:classic_biggrin:

IMG_1184.jpeg.812d9c70a14d96ae0c61e227c1c247aa.jpeg

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 3

On 11/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, foxgoodrich said:

We were in 7708 (the other corner aft) in early September.  It was hot, of course, but our balcony was very comfortable.  This corner aft has a big portside porthole opening plus the open back, so the breeze could reach us from two directions.  DH brought his hammock, and we spent lots of very enjoyable time out there!!  He hung out in the hammock, and I used one of the loungers....ahhh...:classic_biggrin:

IMG_1184.jpeg.812d9c70a14d96ae0c61e227c1c247aa.jpeg

Awesome!

On 9/2/2022 at 3:13 PM, njkruzer said:

I've sailed in a similar cabin and LOVED IT; admittedly, we tend to cruise in the fall, so we weren't dealing with August heat.  Anyone considering the cabin can get a view of the super structure online before sailing.  

On 9/3/2022 at 11:23 AM, njkruzer said:

One more thing. Just below is a 4 bdrm suite sleeping 14 i think. Hasxits own hot tub.  Was concerned that it could be a rowdy bunch of 20 somethings but it wasn't. 

Eh, 20-somethings don't tend to book a year in advance, and that's what's necessary to get these rooms.  I don't think you were ever in danger. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've sailed in a similar cabin and LOVED IT; admittedly, we tend to cruise in the fall, so we weren't dealing with August heat.  Anyone considering the cabin can get a view of the super structure online before sailing.  

Eh, 20-somethings don't tend to book a year in advance, and that's what's necessary to get these rooms.  I don't think you were ever in danger. 

You never know.  And we've all met the partying older crowd also!  If you want that cabin just know that those in the cabin above are watching! 

On 9/2/2022 at 3:13 PM, njkruzer said:

Would you choose this cabin again in the future?

When I first read the warning, I was like, oh no!  We are booked in Cabin 7714 on Liberty in January.  Phew!!  What a relief to find out that the balcony was too hot in the Summer months, and that is what the complaint was about.  I expect that it will be just fine when we sail.😊

We were just on Adventure last month.  Our room there was in need of some tlc.  There was duct tape on the window slider track, and the room was missing the curtain.  The drape is there, but no curtain!  We were on the NE/Canada itinerary, and the room was cold more often than not.  We had a great cabin steward, though!    He was great!

15 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

How did you hang the hammock?   

DH brought ropes and hung it from the super structure.  These pics show how it was hung, but they were actually taken when we had the starboard corner balcony on Navigator a few years ago.  The structure is similar on Voyager class and Freedom class ships, and it's pretty easy to hang a hammock.  I think each rope was about 20 feet long and the hammock came from Amazon (brand was Texsport, about $24.)

1653456200_Hammockhanging1.thumb.jpg.a3159e713c7430a153e2d9d9e2e4be06.jpgHammock2.thumb.jpg.0a08dea40c3f53576c32c6017ea81057.jpgI

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ClemsonTiger96 said:

We will be in 7708 on Liberty in May. After all of the positive reviews I’ve read on aft balconies, I can’t wait to experience one for the first time.  I’m guessing an early May sailing, out of Bayonne, shouldn’t be hot at all.

That's our cabin from September!  You'll love it!  The balcony is equipped with 2 loungers, a small round coffee table type table, 2 chairs, and a larger round table that can be used for eating.  And (of course) there's room for a hammock if you like....:classic_tongue:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

How did you hang the hammock?   

I've also seen posts where people hung a hammock on a "regular" balcony (without holes to put ropes through like in this example) using C-clamps to connect the ropes to the ship structure.

• Like 1