Changing suites on turnaround days

audobon_tx

We booked a GV but came late to the party so we have to change suites mid-voyage on a turnaround day.  The GV is sold out.  Will we need to do anything other than alert our butler or room attendant and empty the safe?  We are accustomed to moving assistance on other cruise lines.

Of course you will have assistance.  You may also want to place toiletries in a drawer in closet.  If the "new" suite is vacant on the prior voyage, they might want to move you a day early.  Turnaround day is VERY busy for the crew.  They will probably simply trade full drawers from one suite to the next.  No need to empty, restock drawers.

Edited by Observer

We're in the same situation on the Whisper.  It looks like the suite we are moving to is not vacant.  We have a tour booked on turnaround day that leaves at 9 AM. 

We have lots of stuff hanging. Additionally, we'll have computer, iPads, chargers - stuff like that. THey just go in a drawer? 

How's that going to work?  

Edited by gwesq

11 hours ago, gwesq said:

We have lots of stuff hanging. Additionally, we'll have computer, iPads, chargers - stuff like that. THey just go in a drawer? 

Hanging goods will be moved on a rack with wheels such as one sees in hotels.

The electronics can be stuffed into drawers.  The entire drawer will be moved from one suite to another, and no one will touch/handle the electronic items themselves.  

5 hours ago, Observer said:

Hanging goods will be moved on a rack with wheels such as one sees in hotels.

The electronics can be stuffed into drawers.  The entire drawer will be moved from one suite to another, and no one will touch/handle the electronic items themselves.  

We have usually placed clothing from shelves/drawers along with toiletries and loose items back into suitcases for the move. I have never even thought of drawers being changed over.

• Like 2

If we get off the ship, can we return before the new guests embark?  What about access to our New cabin?  Will all our stuff be moved there before or after it is cleaned, and will we have access to our "stuff" at least? 

Your ability to get back on the ship after disembarking will depend on many factors, not least being the regulations at the port and of port officials.  Practices change suddenly nowadays with Covid, etc. 

In my experience doing back to backs,  in transit guests are asked to vacate their suites by 8 AM. Typically, in transit passengers lounge on the pool deck or in Panorama.  In transit passengers can generally return to their suites around noon.  I would assume that personal goods would not be moved to the new suite until it has been cleaned.

A certain amount of flexibility is needed in travel, especially nowadays.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Observer said:

Your ability to get back on the ship after disembarking will depend on many factors, not least being the regulations at the port and of port officials.  Practices change suddenly nowadays with Covid, etc. 

In my experience doing back to backs,  in transit guests are asked to vacate their suites by 8 AM. Typically, in transit passengers lounge on the pool deck or in Panorama.  In transit passengers can generally return to their suites around noon.  I would assume that personal goods would not be moved to the new suite until it has been cleaned.

I assume there are a lot of In Transit guests as they are doing some tours that day. We have one booked from 9 - 12.  That makes it unlikely that we will be present when they move our stuff.  I hope we can access the old cabin after the move to at least make sure everything was transferred.  

5 hours ago, gwesq said:

I assume there are a lot of In Transit guests as they are doing some tours that day. We have one booked from 9 - 12.  That makes it unlikely that we will be present when they move our stuff.  I hope we can access the old cabin after the move to at least make sure everything was transferred.  

We did this once on another line.  We didn’t want things to go wrong.  They handled hanging items any draws/safe we just packed in are suit case—-wasn’t a problem.

Don't give up hope that you won't be able to keep one suite the entire GV.  We had a similar situation on a prior Grand Voyage but a month or 2 before sailing a verandah in our category turned up.  It does help to have your TA give them frequent reminders because people do have to cancel Grand Voyages for many reasons.  Good luck.

It's less than 2 weeks to our cruise, and our TA checked just a few days ago.  What I am hoping is that the people in the suite we have to move to wouldn't mind swapping - they're just across the hall from each other. Who knows - can't hurt to ask!

12 hours ago, gwesq said:

It's less than 2 weeks to our cruise, and our TA checked just a few days ago.  What I am hoping is that the people in the suite we have to move to wouldn't mind swapping - they're just across the hall from each other. Who knows - can't hurt to ask!

The answer will be interesting and I'm sure that the cruise line will not like you doing this as they have you set up for billing and safety issues in the exact suite that you have been given.

Just move when you have to its really easy

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

The answer will be interesting and I'm sure that the cruise line will not like you doing this as they have you set up for billing and safety issues in the exact suite that you have been given.

Just move when you have to its really easy

On a prior cruise on another line, at boarding we met a woman who wanted to change cabins, and we were interested in the class of cabin she had.  It took the front desk just a few clicks on the computer & the switch was a done deal.  And it was a  Christmas cruise, so the ship was quite full. 

21 hours ago, Observer said:

Agree.  Even before Covid no two ports had the same regulations, procedures, etc.   I remember a back-to-back we took out of Fort Lauderdale and all in transit guests had to disembark and go through Customs and Immigration and then could either get back on the ship or go on tours.   Yet at another port it was pretty much like just a regular day and other than saying goodbye to departing passengers we could come and go as we pleased.   Again, all before Covid so no telling now.