Carnival trivia

heziggy

I've tried searching and there are just too many different pages to go to, so apologies in advance if this is already on here.

We are going on our first Carnival cruise, only have done RC, and am wondering if there is trivia on board and if so, about how often?  I'm pretty sure there was before covid but now, not sure.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, heziggy said:

I've tried searching and there are just too many different pages to go to, so apologies in advance if this is already on here.

We are going on our first Carnival cruise, only have done RC, and am wondering if there is trivia on board and if so, about how often?  I'm pretty sure there was before covid but now, not sure.

Thanks

Yes, there is. I'm not sure of the specifics, but several times a day, every day. From general trivia, Harry Potter trivia, friends trivia, game of thrones trivia, to sports trivia.

• Like 3

The choice of trivia and amount of triivia on board is all dependant upon the Cruise Director or someone on his staff. (A few CD's leave all the trivia to their underlings)

DW and I usually play 75-100% of games while oinboard.

I'd say generally there is 2-3 games per day. (usually less on port days)

On DW's last girls cruise on the sunshine, they had a crazy amount of trivia each day. (looking over her copy of the funtimes for each day it seemed more like 5-7 per day.)

But I have never been on a cruise without having at least 1 trivia game per day.

May you win many Ships on a Stick.

If you google screenshots for the Fun Times of the ship you are going on, will also give you a good idea of how much trivia and what kinds will be offered on your cruise. (Usually the staff does the same trivia for many weeks in a row on the ships)

Some staffs lean heavily on general knowledge trivia, (cartoons, states, cars, sports,etc.) Some staff lean on specialized trivia. (Harry Potter, Star Wars, James Bond, etc.)

So it differs radically from ship to ship.

• Like 1

The last two cruises I was on, both Carnival Splendor, they had many trivia’s each day, probably 6-7.  Unfortunately they were giving pendants as prizes, no ships on sticks.  They cited supply chain issues and said they were “out” of ships on sticks.  However, at special events hosted by the CD, ships on sticks were given out as prizes.

38 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

The last two cruises I was on, both Carnival Splendor, they had many trivia’s each day, probably 6-7.  Unfortunately they were giving pendants as prizes, no ships on sticks.  They cited supply chain issues and said they were “out” of ships on sticks.  However, at special events hosted by the CD, ships on sticks were given out as prizes.

I didn't see a single Ship on a Stick last month on Magic - everything was "Bling on a String."😃

I think there was 6 trivias each day on Magic, at least on the sea days.

On one of our Carnival cruises, they did team trivia with the men against the women. Only the captain of the winning team got awarded a ship on a stick. I was the captain for the first one; the others on the team tried to vote me as the captain again since I was the main answerer of the questions, but it was not allowed. The captain gave the answers, and one time I had to basically spell out an answer for him. BTW, the men won all 4 contests. The assistant CD doing the trivia said no team had ever before won all the contests.

On the plane back from Fort Lauderdale, we recognized a woman and her son from our cruise sitting in front of us. The son looked back at us and said, "You're the trivia guy.".

• Haha 1

We love doing the trivia and go to it often.  Lately though it is very disappointing because there are always "those" people who have their phone right there and google everything and miraculously have all the answers right.  Then act surprised when they win their ship on a stick.  

Very sad. 😪

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, wemjam said:

We love doing the trivia and go to it often.  Lately though it is very disappointing because there are always "those" people who have their phone right there and google everything and miraculously have all the answers right.  Then act surprised when they win their ship on a stick.  

Very sad. 😪

Never paid that much attention before but cell phones are much more common than my last time cruising..

Also hate the sad people who leave the questions they don't know blank and you see them scribling while the answers are given.

Then miraculously they get one more right than the 2nd best team.

Luckily we have been able to win at least once every cruise.

If we win trivia after winning a ship we just play for fun and don't try to win the ship unless friends traveling with us want one.

• Like 2

There will be about five different trivia events a day. Unfortunately cheating by looking up the answers and return customers who just remember all the answers has become a big problem.  I wish Carnival would work a little at changing up the questions, but they are literally asking the same questions at events like Friends Trivia and Harry Potter trivia that they were asking like 8 years ago. 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 1:14 AM, heziggy said:

Thanks

Multiple trivias are held per day. Some are a little stale (Friends Trivia), while others incorporate different elements, such as theme song trivia or team-based Wheely Big Trivia (think Trivial Pursuit). 

In my experience, Harry Potter Trivia, Game of Thrones Trivia, and Big Bang Theory Trivia can be standing room only, while the early morning general trivia or Carnival Cruise Line Trivia may only have a handful of participants, depending upon what time they are scheduled. 

Along with the ones posted above, they have a 50th anniversary Carnival trivia that is all carnival related, the Name that Movie theme songs or TV shows and also Music trivia by the years, they start out at 50’s and work their way up to 90’s music songs etc.

I've come to the conclusion that you go to trivia to challenge yourself, not compete for "ship on a stick" or "bling on a string" (the prize on our Magic cruise last month). My favorite was "Name That Tune: The 70s." DH and I are in our early 60's; we listen to Sirius 70's on 7. This is our game. At the end, when the host asked folks to shout out the answers, one woman (looked not much older than our oldest son) kept shouting out the wrong answers. Then lo and behold, when we were asked to tally our answers (40 points in all), she exclaimed "I have 38!" I guess if you're that desperate for a prize....🙄

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

I've come to the conclusion that you go to trivia to challenge yourself, not compete for "ship on a stick" or "bling on a string" (the prize on our Magic cruise last month). My favorite was "Name That Tune: The 70s." DH and I are in our early 60's; we listen to Sirius 70's on 7. This is our game. At the end, when the host asked folks to shout out the answers, one woman (looked not much older than our oldest son) kept shouting out the wrong answers. Then lo and behold, when we were asked to tally our answers (40 points in all), she exclaimed "I have 38!" I guess if you're that desperate for a prize....🙄

My husband and I go just to compete against each other lol!

Thats the fun for us, who cares about plastic ships on a stick when you can proclaim yourself the trivia champion over your spouse!!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

Multiple trivias are held per day. Some are a little stale (Friends Trivia), while others incorporate different elements, such as theme song trivia or team-based Wheely Big Trivia (think Trivial Pursuit). 

In my experience, Harry Potter Trivia, Game of Thrones Trivia, and Big Bang Theory Trivia can be standing room only, while the early morning general trivia or Carnival Cruise Line Trivia may only have a handful of participants, depending upon what time they are scheduled. 

The least stale question I ever heard was how old am I from the member of the fun team running the contest. (No one got it right, but two of us including me, were only a year off.)

Later at another contest, I told a different fun squad member running a trivia contest about it, and he said "that is not in the book.".

Also, the person who had asked that question was later at the checkout for one of the ports, and I said to my DW, I bet I can guess his age. He chuckled.

Thank you everyone. My son is a trivia nerd and the only reason he likes cruising. For ex. He was only 14 and named 19 of 20 flags in under 2 mins, he will never for get Tonga.  Hea now 20 and it is still the one thing he looks forward to. below is his trivia haul from our last cruise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBCEAmK1155y13sh7

• Like 2

15 hours ago, heziggy said:

Thank you everyone. My son is a trivia nerd and the only reason he likes cruising. For ex. He was only 14 and named 19 of 20 flags in under 2 mins, he will never for get Tonga.  Hea now 20 and it is still the one thing he looks forward to. below is his trivia haul from our last cruise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBCEAmK1155y13sh7

Sounds just like a teenager who was on our last Carnival cruise. I won the second most ships on a stick; he won the most. He would have won more than me anyway, but he racked up several wins while DW and I explored the various ports while he won all the trivia contests that were held at those times.