Wine Not Completely Consumed in the Dining Room

ridgerunner51

6 minutes ago, ridgerunner51 said:

If you have wine left in a bottle you buy in the dining room, can you take it back to your cabin?

Or they will keep it for you until another meal, even if it's in a different 'restaurant'! It is marked with your room-number I believe; it's quite the magic trick.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Whether you purchase the bottle onboard or bring it on yourself and pay the corkage fee you can do whatever you want with it. There are various wine glasses (plastic) in your stateroom or any of the bars will provide you with an empty glass on request.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

And, if you are at a Lounge and want the bottle, it can be retrieved. 

So this is the way we've always rolled with the wine bought in the MDR (the Sommelier packages) but on a a recent thread where the wine package brochure was attached, it had this dreadful rule that must be new?  

Any intel from anyone onboard if this is true regarding where you can and cannot consume your HAL bought wine bottle?

Please note that packages are nontransferable and may not me consumed in public bars and lounges.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 8:21 AM, FlaMariner said:

So this is the way we've always rolled with the wine bought in the MDR (the Sommelier packages) but on a a recent thread where the wine package brochure was attached, it had this dreadful rule that must be new?  

Any intel from anyone onboard if this is true regarding where you can and cannot consume your HAL bought wine bottle?

Please note that packages are nontransferable and may not me consumed in public bars and lounges.

Apparently if you purchase a wine package, you may only drink in dining rooms and in your cabin if you have leftover wine after a meal. But if you pay corkage on a bottle you brought into the ship, the leftovers may still be consumed in a lounge in addition to dining areas and your cabin. 

I haven’t experienced this personally yet, just reading between the lines. Of course, implementation of this will probably vary from ship to ship.  I think HAL changed the policy as it was too much work or consumed too much time to retrieve the leftover bottle from storage. They are probably short staffed in the lounges and don’t want to spend the extra time finding the bottle. If that’s the case, they probably won’t retrieve a “corkage” bottle either.

7 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Apparently if you purchase a wine package, you may only drink in dining rooms and in your cabin if you have leftover wine after a meal. But if you pay corkage on a bottle you brought into the ship, the leftovers may still be consumed in a lounge in addition to dining areas and your cabin. 

I haven’t experienced this personally yet, just reading between the lines. Of course, implementation of this will probably vary from ship to ship.  I think HAL changed the policy as it was too much work or consumed too much time to retrieve the leftover bottle from storage. They are probably short staffed in the lounges and don’t want to spend the extra time finding the bottle. If that’s the case, they probably won’t retrieve a “corkage” bottle either.

I always wondered about this in the past.  I could not be worthwhile for the ship crew to go hunting for a partial bottle of wine, which likely was being housed on the other end of the ship.  With smaller staffs now, it has to be a problem IMO.

• Like 1

I don’t drink and my DH can’t finish a bottle by himself during dinner (well , he can, but he chooses not to 🤪). He will have a glass or so during dinner. If we go to a lounge afterwards, he’ll sometimes just order a vodka. That way it’s easy on the bartender and DH gets a variety.

8 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I could not be worthwhile for the ship crew to go hunting for a partial bottle of wine, which likely was being housed on the other end of the ship.

It didn't used to be.  I have experienced an Ocean Bar bartender doing such.  The gentleman received a nice gratuity for his efforts.  Very good service has always been a HAL hallmark.