Does he need a walker?

trtog7

My husband uses a walker to get around. He can walk short distances without it. We are going on a Danube river cruise with Amawaterways in October. We know he can probably get around the boat with the use of a cane. How close to the boat does the bases get? Hopefully, close enough that he can leave the walker at home and just take a cane.

It will vary depending on where you are docked.  Which section of the Danube will you be cruising?  People with experience with those location will be able to reply with more information.  Also be aware there may be rafting where you will need to walk through another ship.  There may be ramps or steps that will need to be navigated. 

If your husband can barely walk to the coach, what will he do when the coach arrives at the tour location?  River cruise tours are rarely just a 'panoramic' bus ride – they almost always have you get off for a walking tour of a town or at least a tour of the main attraction (e.g. castle).  They do try to find a café where those with mobility issues can sit and wait for the group to return, but is that going to satisfy your desire to 'see' this part of the world?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trtog7 said:

We know that he will be limited as to what he can see but anything is better than not going. And we are sure there will be wonderful things to see cruising the Danube

Enjoy your travels, take it easy and take in the scenery and surroundings.

I would suggest taking the walker.

We were on a Danube cruise with Avalon this June. At these ports, Bratislava, Durnstein, Linz, Passau, the tours started direct from the pier - ie no busses. There was a lady who used a walker and she was able to join in. Her husband also would push her seated when she would tire. The local guides (in the gentle walker groups) would often choose/change the direction to accommodate the walker - choosing ramps rather than stairways etc. Also places to sit whilst listening to them rather than standing.

The bus drivers were also very helpful with storing of the walker etc.

Do your research on the included tours, speak to the tour director and enjoy your holiday.

• Like 1

Just now, sharkster77 said:

(castle-apalooza). 

I like that. And yes, much sailing is during the evening and at night, so with reduced daylight, fabulous autumn sunsets can be had, but there is also less landscape to look at. During the day, depending on water level and docking location, the cabin view can be - concrete. But October often brings lovely days that can be enjoyed on the sundeck.

I can only repeat what others have said: ramps, steep slopes, stairs to get over rafting ships. Docking not always in prime location. In short, I recommend talking to the cruise line before you leave and taking the walker.

Have a great time on the Danube.

notamermaid

I'll just add that we've been on a few cruises where we've met people where one of the travelling partners had extremely limited mobility.  In some cases, they chose to stay on the ship while the rest of us were out touring, especially the walking tours.  Other times when we were bussed, they may walk to a meeting area then sit and wait for the walking group to return.  The crews are very accommodating and will be able to assist with your decisions when you're on the cruise itself.  

Better than a walker will be a Rollator.  That way, your husband can sit if he tires on an excursioon.  Dad successfully managed getting on an off the riverboat, going between boats when they were tied together, etc.  If he tired too much, he sat and waited for the group to circle back and/or we returned to the vessel.  Due to the cobblestones in many ports, a cane isn’t that safe. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

Better than a walker will be a Rollator.  That way, your husband can sit if he tires on an excursioon.  Dad successfully managed getting on an off the riverboat, going between boats when they were tied together, etc.  If he tired too much, he sat and waited for the group to circle back and/or we returned to the vessel.  Due to the cobblestones in many ports, a cane isn’t that safe. 

I do mean a Rollator. The seating option is necessary.

1 hour ago, trtog7 said:

I do mean a Rollator. The seating option is necessary.

The "All Terrain" models with the bigger wheels will serve you best over cobblestone. Anything less will just lead you to taking a tumble, wheels catching and such. The small wheeled rollator and walker models will also rattle you to death. 😂

Edited by Haqdeluxe
Add more details