What is your solution to overpacking?

spleenstomper

If you are simply flying to Port, getting on the ship, getting off the ship and flying home don’t worry about it.  I only care when I have a multi segment plan which requires I haul luggage from station to station, hotel to hotel.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Thanks for all the commentary. @luvteaching thanks, I guess I’ll put my travel puffy coat back (folds into its own pouch but still puffy)

how cold does it get when the ship is underway and where is this shop with the really great  jackets everyone mentioned? Lol 

The Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan with the cheap jackets that are so popular is located on the pier.  The downstairs level is filled with souvenirs while the upstairs is where the locals shop for gear.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan/P5236046-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Include the following in your packing:

• Lightweight long underwear (Under Armour 1.0) will come in handy for excursions on high-speed boats.
  • Mid-thigh water resistant (Columbia my fave) jacket with removable hood
  • Cardigan sweater that is much easier/quicker to remove than pullover sweaters
  • Poncho to keep your camera dry between photos during rainstorms
  • Small backpack to hold poncho and removed clothing layers as temps rise
  • Water resistant hiking shoes (not boots) or waterproof-sprayed athletic shoes
  • Trogg rain pants in case being seated in the rain
Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

Back to the original question, @spleenstomper -- I used to pack for the two of us, two 29" Samsonite pullmans and two carryons, plus "personal items" that probably pushed the limit. All was carefully cross-packed and planned out...

We got off the plane in Dublin -- but our checked bags did not. And I realized that we'd be fine with what was packed in just the carryons! A true eureka moment. Even though our luggage showed up at the hotel by teatime, packing was never the same again.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Back to the original question, @spleenstomper -- I used to pack for the two of us, two 29" Samsonite pullmans and two carryons, plus "personal items" that probably pushed the limit. All was carefully cross-packed and planned out...

We got off the plane in Dublin -- but our checked bags did not. And I realized that we'd be fine with what was packed in just the carryons! A true eureka moment. Even though our luggage showed up at the hotel by teatime, packing was never the same again.

Oh, I’ll bet. I went to Dublin at the end of May with only a carry on, but it was because my daughter caught Covid and I had to go take care of her and didn’t want to risk losing my luggage or having to wait for it. We did have to stay longer than expected because it took forever for her to get a negative and I ended up doing sink laundry and steaming clothes in the bathroom and spot cleaning by the end of the trip. It was a bank holiday and so no place was open for laundry when we needed it. I didn’t like that the sink laundry became a thing— took up a lot of time and then I was blow drying clothes to get them dry enough to wear. 

• Like 1

Alaska is tricky. You never know what the weather is going to be like. We went mid-August. Had several days with a long sleeve t, sweatshirt and rain jacket and others with shorts and t shirts. After airlines started charging so much for luggage we seriously downsized what went into the bags and now pay to check one shared bag and each take a carry on - sometimes a small carry on. That's tough to do with Alaska. Shoes, sweatshirts and jackets take a lot of space.

I tend to put everything in a pile, then lay it out on the bed when I'm ready to pack. Sort through and put a bunch of it back in the closet. Of course when I get where ever I'm going I'm always looking for what I put back - but always have enough to make do. One hint  - dinner in Alaska seems much more casual. I took two pair of day-wear pants that could be used for dinner also - along with one pair of good black pants. The long sleeve nicer t-shirts could be worn for dinner also.

• Like 2

Wear your heaviest shoes and outerwear on the plane ride (it can always be removed and stuffed in the overhead or hung up. Get the unlimited laundry once on the ship. Have an outer water proof shell with hood and layer with things that can be reworn without worry for a couple days. Other than undies and socks, we (adults, kids are a whole other ball of wax) can get buy on 3 changes of clothes just about indefinitely as long as laundry is a possibility every couple of days. We have just travelled with those big "carry on" size backpacks before though now we usually take one large roller due to the kiddos. 

• Like 2

My solution to overpacking? You have to WANT to pack less. Unless the motivation is yours, you will always find ways to "justify" your choices. And, as others have said, in the end it is really your choice.

I struggle with wanting to take too much but years ago I realized I HAD to cut down if I wanted to do the kind of travel that included not just a cruise but also perhaps some train travel thru Europe -- and as a solo with no one to help with the lugging of luggage.  The surprising thing about packing less is that not only does it make the lugging part easier, I also actually feel freer having fewer choices to make.  No more having to spend extra time in the cabin unpacking while everyone else is already out and about enjoying the ship. No more taking two hours to get ready for dinner while I craft just the right outfit with purse, jewelry, shoes, and accessories.  Instead, I have more time to simply enjoy my cruise.

• Like 3

Another recommendation is to research your luggage choices. Youtube some vids by people who travel a lot to get pointers on luggage choices and packing tips, like packing cubes. I know when we splurged on some new luggage (it was my Bday present actually) we went with stuff that was compact, wearable/stackable, and easy to get through airports/ on to trains.  

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

@spleenstomper

I took the time to search out the recent laundry prices. This was posted in June by Roger, our @Crew News

image.thumb.jpeg.3839a1cde9dfcbaea900ee401e49e3fe.jpeg

For your Info: the by-the-bag bags are fair-sized -- say, a travel-pillowcase, not an at-home pillowcase -- and cloth so very stuffable, AND you are not restricted by what you can put into them, if it fits. The current price is $20/bag ($30/bag in Europe).

The Unlimited Laundry Package is $7/day ($9/day in Europe), and must be purchased for the whole cruise, or $49 for a one week cruise. So if you put out your laundry on day 3 but check that box, still $49. You can't send out in the last 24hrs. 

It seems two bags during a week is a "better deal" -- but, you will need to plan to FILL THE BAG before you send it, which will leave you lacking for half (or maybe a third of) your clothes by that time. So I don't know which is the better idea. I have only used the by the bag option myself! But I'm a skinflint, plus travelling with my husband we can fill a bag twice as fast.

Well, that's all. Just wanted to fill in some of the blanks!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@crystalspin thank you for taking the time to post the list. 

@fatcat04 yes, I have been thinking about this. I hunkered down for the pandemic and the shut downs and I had 3 surgeries during 2020 (which took forever because they were non emergent and so I had to wait a lot as elective surgeries were turned on and off) and we didn’t go anywhere basically all of 2021 (rented a house for a week for an immediate family beach vacation). 

2022 has been the year of unexpected travel for me: April in NYC, end of may to mid June in Ireland unexpectedly (Covid), July in New Orleans (but I live close), August in Olympic National Park and now this last minute cruise. I’m going to start building a travel wardrobe with monochrome pieces and I hear Eileen Fisher has great separates with which to do this. 

I do have and love my packing cubes, and I last month bought the double zipper compression ones. 

I have a love hate relationship with carry on. On one hand, it’s a lot quicker and probably easier and on the other hand I detest rolling it all around the airport with me. Plus, I mentioned the dreaded sink laundry above, but I think that was more or less a fluke of timing and circumstance. 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 2

If I don't have it, I don't miss it.  Like anything else, we all have favorite clothing that we tend to wear repeatedly.  Those are the things I am most likely to wear, so they come with me.  I'm a light packer and have learned through the years that I wouldn't be wearing most of the extra clothing that I brought on board in the past.  So, I tend to buy really nice clothing that I'm happy to pack but not too much of it since I wouldn't wear all of it anyway.

• Like 2

I’m in the “be prepared camp.” I pack for all weather situations when traveling. A roll up rain coat is always in my bag, even when no rain is in the forecast. It also serves as a wind proof layer if we decide to go out on a friend’s boat and comes in handy if the weather forecast changes.

For Alaska, I would pack multiple layers - 3-4 of each except for heavy coat or puffy jacket. This way if there’s a backup in the laundry service, you still have something to wear. Also, they usually don’t accept laundry 2 days before disembarkation. So you’ll need a min of 3 things to wear at the end of your cruise.

I detest shopping and never want to waste time in a port trying to find cold medicine or another shirt, etc. I want to “see and do” in a port not be in an inside mall or scrounging through racks in a store. I purchase the majority of my clothes (and other items) online and do free returns if it doesn’t fit. So much easier than shopping in stores.

Edited by sandiego1
  • Like 4

Ok, I have managed to put back enough things to make a difference, and when I get back, I’m going to look up new checked luggage. Although this one is fairly new (samsonite winnifield 2) , the luggage itself is pretty heavy. My newest samsonite free form carry on is much lighter. 

ETA: I just checked and the large free form checked luggage is about 1.5 pounds lighter than the one I have. 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Ok, I have managed to put back enough things to make a difference, and when I get back, I’m going to look up new checked luggage. Although this one is fairly new (samsonite winnifield 2) , the luggage itself is pretty heavy. My newest samsonite free form carry on is much lighter. 

ETA: I just checked and the large free form checked luggage is about 1.5 pounds lighter than the one I have. 

When choosing checked luggage, ponder the possibility that your luggage may be on the bottom of a HAL luggage carrier with a number of 40-50 pound suitcases atop.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/canada-place-terminal-vancouver/IMG_0954.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My solution to overpacking? You have to WANT to pack less. Unless the motivation is yours, you will always find ways to "justify" your choices. And, as others have said, in the end it is really your choice.

I struggle with wanting to take too much but years ago I realized I HAD to cut down if I wanted to do the kind of travel that included not just a cruise but also perhaps some train travel thru Europe -- and as a solo with no one to help with the lugging of luggage.  The surprising thing about packing less is that not only does it make the lugging part easier, I also actually feel freer having fewer choices to make.  No more having to spend extra time in the cabin unpacking while everyone else is already out and about enjoying the ship. No more taking two hours to get ready for dinner while I craft just the right outfit with purse, jewelry, shoes, and accessories.  Instead, I have more time to simply enjoy my cruise.

One of the best example of light packing I have seen was on a trip to Europe for a meeting.  One of the participants was one of the Deputy Commissioners of the FDA.  When we returned from the 4 day trip she was there talking to use while we waited in baggage claim.  After our bags arrived and we were leaving I noticed that she had not gotten one so I asked what about hers.  She held up her large hand bag and said that was all of it. That she had learned how to travel light during her time in the consulting business.  This is a person that just spent 4 days in formal meetings with representatives from the US, Europe and Japan, attended official dinners and receptions, always dressed very well for each occasion, and never appeared to wear the same thing twice.

I have found that in most cases one can travel for long periods (in my case trips over 30 days in Europe) with just a carry on bag.  Easier to travel (especially on trains and ferries around Europe) when you are not having to deal with large and heavy bags.

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

When choosing checked luggage, ponder the possibility that your luggage may be on the bottom of a HAL luggage carrier with a number of 40-50 pound suitcases atop.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/canada-place-terminal-vancouver/IMG_0954.jpg

No problem just do not put anything breakable in the suitcase.

33 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Good job for a first try! I didn't get to ONLY carryon in that one trip to Ireland (just had the AHA moment then). 

This is the bags we use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265834457690

It was sold as 21.8" inch (counting wheels and handle) and it was called the World's Lightest at 4.8lbs. All of the IT bags (and they are not all carryon) on Amazon now have spinner wheels. I'm glad we got ours when the lighter and more reliable 2-wheel version was available and relatively inexpensive. Luggage Factory now has a few but listing them at $400! We got everyone in the immediate family (seven total) a different color!

You might think about getting that carryon (says used only twice) while it's available! It's good as a second bag...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Good job for a first try! I didn't get to ONLY carryon in that one trip to Ireland (just had the AHA moment then). 

This is the bags we use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265834457690

It was sold as 21.8" inch (counting wheels and handle) and it was called the World's Lightest at 4.8lbs. All of the IT bags (and they are not all carryon) on Amazon now have spinner wheels. I'm glad we got ours when the lighter and more reliable 2-wheel version was available and relatively inexpensive. Luggage Factory now has a few but listing them at $400! We got everyone in the immediate family (seven total) a different color!

You might think about getting that carryon (says used only twice) while it's available! It's good as a second bag...

Thanks, while I do agree the two wheels are more secure (I have a few of the eBags 2 wheels), I prefer the 4 wheels because you can push them instead of pull them. I have arm weakness, so pulling one isn’t comfortable. Thanks though. Someone else might be able to grab that one. 

2 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I prefer the 4 wheels because you can push them instead of pull them. I have arm weakness, so pulling one isn’t comfortable.

We tried the spinners (nominally carryon size, hard-shell) for 1-2 trips. They were very easy to move in the airports on smooth floors! But about twice as heavy as the ITs, and wouldn't you know it, just when airlines lowered the weight-limits.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We tried the spinners (nominally carryon size, hard-shell) for 1-2 trips. They were very easy to move in the airports on smooth floors! But about twice as heavy as the ITs, and wouldn't you know it, just when airlines lowered the weight-limits.

I have found traveling that one should get the lightest and in most cases cheapest functional bags you can find.  I have found that features found in more expensive bags often add weight.  Also no matter what the quality of the bag, especially spinners, are subject to damage.  Travel enough and you will run into bags getting dented, handles and wheels getting damaged, bags getting soiled with grease and other dirt , cuts, etc. In many cases the cheaper bags last as long as the more expensive ones.  You save money, though they don't look as stylish when checking into an expensive hotel. 

With a cheap bag if it gets damaged during a trip you just find another one and throw the damaged one away.  With an expensive bag you often try to deal with the problem during the trip, often until you get home, and then you try to get it repaired.

Edited by ldtr

On 9/7/2022 at 4:33 PM, kangforpres said:

the 4 star and 5 star mariner laundry benefit. Once you get this perk it will help you from overpacking for any length of cruise.

We will have the free laundry on our next cruise.   My concern is sending clothing that will shrink in the dryer.   Is there any way to request a 'COOL"  setting for certain clothing I send to the laundry on the ship?  A lot of my stuff is cotton and it will shrink in the dryer if it's a  hot  dryer setting.   I hang laundry outside on a clothes line at home - rarely use the dryer.

• Like 1