Suites - What are the real Perks?

5 in OK

The word "Newbie" should be tatooed on my forehead! :)

There is much to learn! I have 3 pages of notes from 2 short browsings!!! This is so much fun!

We are looking at the Westerdam or the Oosterdam (so new I don't even know how to prounce that last one is it "Oh" or "OO"?) for 7 day/Alaska. I am traveling with my husband, my 3 kids (9,11,13) and my parents.

I love what I have read about the perks from HAL for suite passengers. We are definitely going with a verandah (the guy with the speakers kind of spooked me on that one) - just can't decide if we should splurge for the suites - the Neptune place sounds pretty cool.

Please advise - you guys really are the experts!

Welcome Aboard.

Have you traveled the Ferries ever ?

Alaska there is no place on earth like it ...

Yukon NuNuVliet and NWT Territory are pristine and divine.

Suites are wonderful and with a family better with much more room and services..

One of my good friends had never been on a cruise ever let alone a vacation with his family..

He took my suggestion and went in the best Suite available with his Mom and Stepdad and never left the ship .....

He is a Highend caterer in NY/NYC/NJ....

Having the best time he ever had was such a joy to hear and see ....

It all depends on what you want to do and see..

Some people never leave the Suites as they really do not want to do many things except enjoy the ship/services and voyage.:eek:

Alaska is quite different it is such a natural vibrant place...so many things to do and see being together in Mother Natures Kingdom.

But what ever your choice have fun and God Speed.:D

We had that PS last year on our Alaskan cruise, and we felt it was worth every penny, as the floor to ceiling windows in the living room and dining room made for spectacular viewing. I think that the space is a great perk especially if you are traveling with family. The free laundry and dry cleaning is also wonderful.

Welcome Aboard.

Have you traveled the Ferries ever ?

Alaska there is no place on earth like it ...

Yukon NuNuVliet and NWT Territory are pristine and divine.

Suites are wonderful and with a family better with much more room and services..

One of my good friends had never been on a cruise ever let alone a vacation with his family..

He took my suggestion and went in the best Suite available with his Mom and Stepdad and never left the ship .....

He is a Highend caterer in NY/NYC/NJ....

Having the best time he ever had was such a joy to hear and see ....

It all depends on what you want to do and see..

Some people never leave the Suites as they really do not want to do many things except enjoy the ship/services and voyage.:eek:

Alaska is quite different it is such a natural vibrant place...so many things to do and see being together in Mother Natures Kingdom.

But what ever your choice have fun and God Speed.:D

Thank you for responding!:)

We sailed on Disney's Magic in 2003 - we had ocean view adjoining rooms (because we had 5). Great cruise - Goofy did the Limbo to "Who Let the Dogs Out" with the kids - they still talk about it.

So, since the kids are older now we are anticipating they'll actually appreciate the sights they may encounter in Alaska - whales, bald eagles, glaciers, raw nature........

So many things I've read say Alaskan cruises are so much different the warm water tours and that you really do spend more time in your cabin. We don't want to finally make it to Seattle, board and then be disappointed we didn't spend a little more for comfort. :o

We're Sooners too, and not just in a football sense. If you're Cowboys we love you too as we're a mixed family. 2 OU and 2 OSU.

We also are going on the Westerdam to Alaska in an "S" suite. This will be our 3rd suite. We've been in a B cabin and several A's.

When we go by ourselves we don't mind the mini-suites, even in Europe. In 2004 our youngest son met us in Amsterdam and sailed 17 days to NY with us in an "A" and we had plenty of room. We just emptied 3 of the 9 drawers and one of the closets for him. We had used all the storage space for the first 17 days ( we kept both night tables).

That said, we really do prefer the "S". We have room to invite friends for get togethers, love the separate dressing room, the concierge service, the special invitations to events, the corsages for formal night, and the room itself which is huge compared to other cruise line we've been on. We eat breakfast on the veranda which is very roomy. The Neptune is so close, so we just run over and grab latte or cappucino while waiting for breakfast to

arrive.

The boarding and tendering are so much easier with suite privileges.

This is our first trip on a Vista ship as we've been on the S and R class HAL ships and love them. I'll miss the extra sink in the dressing room, but no big deal. Having the extra shower stall will make up for it.

I enjoyed seeing a fellow sooner on this board, Welcome, and ask all the questions you want. We'll answer.

Grannynurse in Broken Arrow

the size of the room- you can do the calculating. Some perks are just money:1) Dry cleaning for "free"- you can get that from any room,just pay. 2) internet for "free" - you can get that from any room,just pay .

The nice perks are the ones that you must be in an S or PS to get and cannot pay money for; 1)Getting to the front of the lines ( coming on, getting off for excursions or final)- For some of us type 'a's it is the best.2) Neptune lounge - in the morning to get coffee easy is a must have- no waiting for room service or running to a buffet line 3) Separate room for breakfast-nice again not to wait in lines 4) concierge person in the Neptune lounge: having a body to talk to and not waiting on the phones forever is nice

5) some special cocktail parties- not sure this is a big deal since anyone can buy drinks anywhere,but some like it. Nobody likes to use the words two classes of service, but there is when some can get stuff that others can't buy, so........ I leave it to you to decide and it is hard to do without experience. These things cost money but they do make the trip much better. If it means that you go on one trip and not two because of the money then.........

Good luck and go for the gold!

Some perks are just money:... 2) internet for "free" - you can get that from any room,just pay ....

:confused: Are you sure??? If so, this must be something new in the last few months and a big secret. We've never gotten 'free' internet having an S and I've read nothing about it here if it is a brand new policy.

:confused: Are you sure??? If so, this must be something new in the last few months and a big secret. We've never gotten 'free' internet having an S and I've read nothing about it here if it is a brand new policy.

I haven't stayed in an S, but spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this board, so am pretty informed. They may be confusing their cruiselines?

Marie

1)Getting to the front of the lines ( coming on, getting off for excursions or final)- For some of us type 'a's it is the best.

I have a problem with this one. Of course who doesn't like getting off first.

But everytime we try and use this most people think we are cutting the line and being jerky. Sometimes we just wait in line like everyone else.

Can someone explain the correct protocal for using this one? Just showing the gold card doesn't always work for us.

The only time you have to worry about getting in a line to leave the ship is when you are tendering.

We just take the elevator down to the tender deck and join the line. We don't push ahead of anyone. When we get to the area where they are taking the numbers, we just show our gold card and move right on down to the tenders.

Hi! Welcome to the HAL board. This is a very friendly forum. I cruised to Alaska in 2004(on HAL) and it was magnificent. Where are you in OK? I live in a suburb of OKC.

Marie

We are 20 minutes Southest of Tulsa - small world! Did you sail out of Seattle? Did you go through Denver or Pheonix to get there? We're looking at American - but they take you through DFW - adds about an extra 90 minutes to the trip.

The line thing is not a problem most times- on tenders they give a card, on embark and disembark they have cards or lines. It is not nice to rub it in to other folks, I agree. But, the money spent allows those in the first class section of planes to sit in a bigger seat and get on first and most people do not have a problem with that. Anyone can spend the money,right?

On cruise ships, it is a little different as to how people feel about first and second class(if there is such a thing). But, certainly S rooms people expect and get the nicer tables in the standard dining rooms whether it is written or not. Are others upset with that- yea maybe.

We did Queen Mary last year and the separate sections for classes is really ugly. There they try as hard as possible to separate the high payers, on other ships they try to hide it. I like the hiding alot better, even though we always get the highest level.

By the Way, I might have gotten the internet thing goofed up (we go on 4 cruises a year and I get the lines confused a little some times). I also try not to look at the bill for services so hard that I might not do something I want to do just for 5 or 10 dollars why I am vacationing. I do that at home.

We are 20 minutes Southest of Tulsa - small world! Did you sail out of Seattle? Did you go through Denver or Pheonix to get there? We're looking at American - but they take you through DFW - adds about an extra 90 minutes to the trip.

I flew to Vancouver, as the ship left from there. I think I went through Dallas(Continental). On the way home, I flew out of Anchorage. We came into Seward, but bused to Anchorage. My flight was an evening one so I took a postcruise tour. I took the Kenai Fjords tour, and it was fantastic. A definite highlight of the cruise, if not THE highlight.

Have a wonderful cruise. You will want to go to Alaska, again and again :).

Marie

Princess offers free internet to suite guests. HAL does not.

One other option you might want to consider with your number of people is the SS (Superior Verandah Suites) on the Vista ships. You don't get use of the Neptune Lounge, but those cabins are very spacious. The bathrooms have two sinks and a separate shower stall in addition to the tub. The verandahs are big enough for most uses. Take a look and see what you think.

Internet service is not free for Suite Passengers. We pay the same rates as everyone else.

I, on one hand, would love free Internet as we almost always buy a package. BUT, I have heard so many stories about free Internet on Princess Cruises and how it is impossible to get a computer/connect. I don't want to drag my laptop with me so it would mean great inconvenience in trying to get something free. I'd rather pay and get what I want.

I do not consider any 'extras' we enjoy in Suites to be perks. I consider them to be items we have purchased. It is included in our price but is by no means free.

The only time you have to worry about getting in a line to leave the ship is when you are tendering.

We just take the elevator down to the tender deck and join the line. We don't push ahead of anyone. When we get to the area where they are taking the numbers, we just show our gold card and move right on down to the tenders.

We did it correct then we didnt' push ahead of anyone. When we got the ticket taker - he got very annoyed with us as we didn't have a number. I showed him the card and he told us go get a number - I questioned him on this and he let us go. During this brief conversation I noticed other people rolling their eyes and looking at each other which made me feel uncomfortable.

BTW - the ticket taker was one of the acitivity cruise staff - I would have thought he would know the procedure.

My dh and I spent a wonderful week on the "big z" in an s(a) suite on the rotterdam deck 5 doors up from the neptune lounge a couple years back.

the room was so nice we did not see much of the rest of the ship! ;)

the PERKS!

special line for embarkation

early disembarkation (unless you are on a trans to airport)

champagne in room from captain

cocktails with the captain

*** comp dry cleaning/laundry service - worth it!

pinnacle dinning room for breakfast (lunch too i think)

personalized stationary - to send that thank-you note to the captain ;)

super fast room service

hot and cold hors d's every night in our room (arrange this first thing in neptune lounge)

the neptune lounge was a great place for:

- coffee anytime - cappacino if you want

- a snack/mini meal anytiime (chocolate galore!!!!!)

- ** drop off the paperwork to the concierge instead of at main desk

- videos (if they have it on board they will get it for you)

- pay your bill

- wait to disembark in comfort

- order excursions

- envelopes

The best however was the room! or should I (be honest and say the balcony!

(sometimes at night I would wake up, go out, look at the stars, and just breathe in the sea air)

there is a lot of storage space (plenty of closet space, plenty of drawers) the bathroom is huge (whirpool tub! separate shower), space, space, space!

Go for the gusto! Although I should warn you my husband refuses to downsize so it is the suite life for us from now on (Oh, the hardships of cruising ;) ).

may your seas be mild and smooth sailings be had by all

Thanks Mama D, and all posters who gave the info on suite perks. We are thinking of trying HAL next year, after 13 cruises, 7 or 8 in suites. Yes, once you move up to a suite, theres no going back. For those who say "you can pay for . . . so its not free", these are just things that are nice to get. No one books a suite to get something for free, they book a suite so that they can have a more comfortable room to relax in. We just came off Princess, and the bedding was exceptional, which is a suite perk. I hear that HAL has upgraded bedding in their suites as well. Of course you can say that you get a bed in a regular cabin too.

Archived