Sorry another ArriveCAN Question

realnice46

We arrive in Vancouver September 9 and cruise leaves September 11. I filled out ArriveCAN September 7 for arrival in Vancouver.

Now from previous posts do I understand I need to fill out another ArriveCAN to board ship? Where do I do that I’m not seeing a place on their website to do that ? I’m not very good with all the stuff.

38 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

We arrive in Vancouver September 9 and cruise leaves September 11. I filled out ArriveCAN September 7 for arrival in Vancouver.

Now from previous posts do I understand I need to fill out another ArriveCAN to board ship? Where do I do that I’m not seeing a place on their website to do that ? I’m not very good with all the stuff.

There is nowhere, because you cannot submit multiple Trips - only after you actually arrive in vancouver tomorrow can you submit the next entry for your cruise. You'll be well inside the 72hrs at that point, but with 2 days precruise you have plenty of time to find the two minutes to submit trip 2.

If you try to submit the cruise now, on Sep 8, it will let you - as that is 3 days before Sep 11 - BUT it will delete your first trip as it only holds one! So then when you fly in you'll be slapped for not having a valid ArriveCAN - I've yet to hear about anyone actually being fined on a first offence, but scrabbling to redo the correct ArriveCAN entry at the customs booth while being stared at by everyone around you would be very stressful, so best to do it right!

2 hours ago, realnice46 said:

You don't need ArriveCAN to board the ship. You are leaving Canada at that point, not arriving. As I don't know what cruise you're on, I'm assuming an Alaska cruise, you will likely need to fill out another ArriveCAN form when you return to Victoria or Vancouver after the Alaska part of the cruise.  When you're entering Canada for the second time...

We've done this same scenario...flew to Vancouver, boarded ship a couple days later, etc...

Bon Voyage!

22 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

You don't need ArriveCAN to board the ship. You are leaving Canada at that point, not arriving. As I don't know what cruise you're on, I'm assuming an Alaska cruise, you will likely need to fill out another ArriveCAN form when you return to Victoria or Vancouver after the Alaska part of the cruise.  When you're entering Canada for the second time...

We've done this same scenario...flew to Vancouver, boarded ship a couple days later, etc...

Bon Voyage!

We needed ArriveCAN twice in June, once to fly to Vancouver and the second time to board the rt Vancouver cruise.   I remember that it did make sense once we were in Vancouver, the second Arrive CAN is to allow you to return to Vancouver at the end of the cruise.   

And for the second ArriveCAN, the option was for Marine (or something like that), the 72 hour time frame is for the start of your trip, not within 72 hours of returning to Canada.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rotoal said:

We needed ArriveCAN twice in June, once to fly to Vancouver and the second time to board the rt Vancouver cruise.   I remember that it did make sense once we were in Vancouver, the second Arrive CAN is to allow you to return to Vancouver at the end of the cruise.   

And for the second ArriveCAN, the option was for Marine (or something like that), the 72 hour time frame is for the start of your trip, not within 72 hours of returning to Canada.

Cunard had us do the second ArriveCAN prior to returning to Vancouver. That was in late June 2019. But we didn't need it to board the ship leaving Vancouver.

So perhaps things have changed. 

Edited by dlh015

37 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Bon Voyage!

You actually are required to complete the ArriveCAN prior to boarding the ship. Those filling in the forms are because it was missed it in the first place. You will not have to fill it in again as you get near to your return to Canada.  

24D3F2D9-CB34-4846-89FF-D0B74AFA428C.jpeg

1 minute ago, amcco said:

You actually are required to complete the ArriveCAN prior to boarding the ship. Those filling in the forms are because it was missed it in the first place. You will not have to fill it in again as you get near to your return to Canada.  

24D3F2D9-CB34-4846-89FF-D0B74AFA428C.jpeg

I stand corrected. Apparently, things have indeed changed...I

50 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Bon Voyage!

Thank you that makes me feel better.

9 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

Thank you that makes me feel better.

The good thing is that all of your data should be stored in ArriveCAN so you just have to enter the trip data in and your vaccines etc. are there. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Cunard had us do the second ArriveCAN prior to returning to Vancouver. That was in late June 2019. But we didn't need it to board the ship leaving Vancouver.

So perhaps things have changed. 

They didn't... because it didn't exist in 2019!

ArriveCAN began in April 2020; that cruise season was canceled before it began, as was 2021, this year is literally the first Canadian cruise season since ArriveCAN was created...

The logical conclusion to draw is that you are conflating the Customs Declaration form (which is indeed completed on-board, and must be handed in the day before the ship arrives back into Canada) with ArriveCAN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Canadians we sailed out of Vancouveron Aug 28th and did not have to show arrivecan when boarding the ship. Couldn't fill in arrivecan using the basic wifi,so turned on my data the last day and was able to complete the form.  Upon our arrival back in Vancouver was never asked to present the form.  Just handed in the usual customs declaration and that was it.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:12 PM, amcco said:

It is totally confusing. I’m Canadian and believe me, we wish this would go away as well! 

Me too and Covid test before embarkation (Canada)

Edited by saphir

We have a princess cruise sailing out of Vancouver to LA September 20.  It makes one stop in Victoria the next day, along the way and we just received an email from princess stating that we had to complete the arrivecan app prior to boarding.   I do understand why we need to do it, but will complete it so we do not have an issue at the pier.

2 hours ago, tert333 said:

We have a princess cruise sailing out of Vancouver to LA September 20.  It makes one stop in Victoria the next day, along the way and we just received an email from princess stating that we had to complete the arrivecan app prior to boarding.   I do understand why we need to do it, but will complete it so we do not have an issue at the pier.

You need to do it because the Canadian government has mandated that you do so.

Check your government website for cruise travel in Canada.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:23 PM, lobsternight said:

As Canadians we sailed out of Vancouveron Aug 28th and did not have to show arrivecan when boarding the ship. Couldn't fill in arrivecan using the basic wifi,so turned on my data the last day and was able to complete the form.  Upon our arrival back in Vancouver was never asked to present the form.  Just handed in the usual customs declaration and that was it.

when we enter the info on arrivecan the government has it so no need to show it.

• Like 1

Well yes I agree as it is linked to our passport, but we were not even asked to see our passports.  I guess in the case of disembarking a cruise, everyone has already been screened prior to embarkation, so risks are probably considered low, and trying to empty 3 ships at once is quite a task.  

What is so complicated?

You need to complete ArriveCAN to enter Canada.  Doesn't matter how. .car, walking, airplane.

You then need to enter your details again for your cruise.  Oy takes a minute the second time as your basic data is saved.

When we spent time in Point Roberts WA and went to a store we crossed into Canada each time.  EVERY trip we simply updated the app.

You do not usually need to show the app because the ArriveCAN info is tied to your passport and Canada matches that with the Ship's Manifest.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

Well yes I agree as it is linked to our passport, but we were not even asked to see our passports.  I guess in the case of disembarking a cruise, everyone has already been screened prior to embarkation, so risks are probably considered low, and trying to empty 3 ships at once is quite a task.  

In Vancouver, they already have all the information for all the passengers long ahead of time. When it’s “cleared” it’s cleared. We’ve never shown passports on disembarkation in Vancouver. We have at times even been required to hand in our customs slips on the ship ahead of time.

1 hour ago, lobsternight said:

The cruise ship already sent the manifest to the port authorities.  The manifest has your passport details.  If there was an issue you would be notified usually before embarkation.   The manifest is sent out about an hour before sailing.   Only takes seconds to verify everything with computers today.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, martincath said:

There is nowhere, because you cannot submit multiple Trips - only after you actually arrive in vancouver tomorrow can you submit the next entry for your cruise. You'll be well inside the 72hrs at that point, but with 2 days precruise you have plenty of time to find the two minutes to submit trip 2.

If you try to submit the cruise now, on Sep 8, it will let you - as that is 3 days before Sep 11 - BUT it will delete your first trip as it only holds one! So then when you fly in you'll be slapped for not having a valid ArriveCAN - I've yet to hear about anyone actually being fined on a first offence, but scrabbling to redo the correct ArriveCAN entry at the customs booth while being stared at by everyone around you would be very stressful, so best to do it right!

We are flying to Vancouver on the 15th. Doing the ArriveCAN on the 14th to fly into Canada. I thought that the marine ap to get on the ship is different than the flight ap. Would really help if you could explain. Really confusing 😥

32 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

It is the same app. Once you’re in Vancouver, and thru customs simply delete your existing ArriveCAN submission. You can then do a new one for your cruise. You’ll find it very easy as most of your info will already be in the app.

The vaccination info etc will still be there?

42 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

It is the same app. Once you’re in Vancouver, and thru customs simply delete your existing ArriveCAN submission. You can then do a new one for your cruise. You’ll find it very easy as most of your info will already be in the app.

But alas, if you were to somehow test positive in Canada (even if 10 feet inside the border) you would need to quarantine in Canado for at least 10 days (at your own expense).  Heading back across the border (into the USA) would be illegal (under Canadian rules) even if your home was right across the border.  We recently ran into this Canadian rule while planning a driving trip into Canada with some friends.  Today, we all cancelled our plans, called the Canadian B&B, whose owner was not even aware of this rule, and cancelled several thousand dollars of reservations.  No big deal for us (we will simply do an alternative trip into New England).  But we do feel sorry for the Canadian B&B and restaurants that have lost a lot of business because of this type of silly rule.  

I only post this because there is nothing "simple" about ArriveCan or the related rules!  What is simple is going to Mexico of just about anywhere in Europe.  Canada......"forget about it!"

Hank

• Like 1