Oceania smoking policy on decks

disnemimi

6 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Apologies for joking on the O forum. 🤣 It's also been full of paying guests on my last 2 cruises. 

No need for sarcasm, I understand that the area is not exclusively for staff use. I just think O should provide an indoor area for staff to smoke elsewhere if they feel such a facility is necessary.

1 hour ago, Eloise4Ever said:

No need for sarcasm, I understand that the area is not exclusively for staff use. I just think O should provide an indoor area for staff to smoke elsewhere if they feel such a facility is necessary.

I don't see any reason why they would need to provide an indoor smoking place for staff (or passengers) at all.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Pretty sure they do. I assume any staff using Horizons smoking area are the staff who have passenger area dining privileges? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Pretty sure they do. I assume any staff using Horizons smoking area are the staff who have passenger area dining privileges? 

Usually officers in Horizons  or the outdoor smoking section  that we have seen if we pass by there

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 4:05 PM, LHT28 said:

I wonder  when it changed ??

It was only allowed in the smoking areas  on the current  website 

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005405774-Can-I-smoke-on-board-

I know that last November on Riviera, electronic vaping was only allowed in the smoking section.  I specifically asked about it before sailing since my brother was sailing with me and he vapes.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2022 at 4:01 PM, Robjame said:

IMO one would have to go to a lot of trouble to be offended by the smoke on Oceania.

Reformed smoker myself but I very often find that just the mere fact that a person smokes, elicits vehement reactions from people even if they never have to encounter said smoking area.  I always enjoy sitting with the smokers, usually a fun easy going friendly non-judgmental group.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 5:21 AM, Eloise4Ever said:

So basically O provide an indoor staff smoking area in a place designed for paying guests?😲

As opposed to hard working people that live on the ship for 9 months?

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Reformed smoker myself but I very often find that just the mere fact that a person smokes, elicits vehement reactions from people even if they never have to encounter said smoking area.  I always enjoy sitting with the smokers, usually a fun easy going friendly non-judgmental group.

it stinks...literally. Ridiculous to equate smoking with character traits of being fun, easy going, friendly and non-judgmental.  Those personality factors can describe non-smokers and plenty of smokers are none of those things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Staff has their own bar and recreation areas. It would not be unfair to separate guests from staff for smoking areas. 

a very elitist attitude, reminds me of that old PBS show, Upstairs Downstairs

• Like 2

I’ve had lovely chats with staff in the smoking areas, it’s nice to interact with them there, and conversely to give them space while they are having 5 mins break. They do no harm, I don’t what the problem is. 

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

a very elitist attitude, reminds me of that old PBS show, Upstairs Downstairs

That is an offensive accusation.

And my statement is not elitist at all. Staff deserves down time and an opportunity to have to not be on their very best customer oriented behavior. They deserve to not have to wear uniforms during down time. Passengers deserve not to have to be close to staff (including officers) whose clothing reeks of smoke.  Most indoor areas in the US do not allow smoking. Imo they shouldn't allow indoor smoking at all.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

I’ve had lovely chats with staff in the smoking areas, it’s nice to interact with them there, and conversely to give them space while they are having 5 mins break. They do no harm, I don’t what the problem is. 

You don't have to sit in a smoking area to chaat with staff/officers.  That's just where you can grab them for a few minutes, and it is likely the last thing they want to do, but cannot offend passengers.

New to Oceania so forgive me if what I’m reading is wrong. 

are you saying that inside horizons (in a small section) there is an indoor smoking area? 

is that area cordoned off or does all of horizons more or less smell like smoke? 

how is the ventilation in that area? 

and is cigar smoking allowed in that area as well? 

horizons is an observation lounge from what I see correct? 

1 hour ago, CruiseAF said:

are you saying that inside horizons (in a small section) there is an indoor smoking area? 

is that area cordoned off or does all of horizons more or less smell like smoke? 

You can smell the smoke if you come in on the port side and up the stairs. Cigar smoking is not allowed in this area. Some of the ships have doors and some don't, I can't remember which. Horizons is an observation lounge. 

If you come in on the starboard side and sit over there or upfront you would probably never know there is a smoking area there, unless you're super sensitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseAF said:

The smoking area is sectioned off  but they did not have a door on the Riviera & Marina  they do have a fully enclosed area on the R ships

https://content.invisioncic.com/j283755/monthly_2020_01/image.png.8a0430498c9d5a5d27fa4bcc111cd5bf.png

Afternoon tea is also  in Horizons  as Orv said  come in from Starboard side  & you probably will not smell anything

On 12/20/2022 at 8:34 PM, Guppy99 said:

You don't have to sit in a smoking area to chaat with staff/officers.  That's just where you can grab them for a few minutes, and it is likely the last thing they want to do, but cannot offend passengers.

Usually they start the conversations with me, and if they don’t I leave them to their personal time and just thank them for their work if they leave before me or I leave before them. 

• Like 2