Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

My country club allows them, thus country club casual. QED

The local club that I am a member at is very casual. They do not bill themselves as a “country club”.  They say “This is not your father’s country club”. There are few rules but one of them is no jeans in the dining room. 

• Like 1

I think that very dark navy or black jeans, pressed, maybe even a crease, worn with a shirt tucked in and a belt, or a cashmere sweater, would be allowed anywhere.  The ship's dress code is to keep out the people who dress like bums, I doubt that there's any other reason for it.  The crew certainly doesn't care.  I remember going out for dinner in Manhattan years ago, I was wearing nice jeans that fit well and my new leather jacket.  The restaurant was down a few steps, and as I reached the door, right at eye level, was a sign  "No Denim".  I didn't even slow down and nobody said boo.  It's the whole picture that's important. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Hmmmm. are jeans allowed according to the dress code?  I think NOT!

A lot of fancy restaurants around here such as the old school House of Prime Rib show lot of people wearing jeans.  There are a lot of nice looking jeans.

• Like 1

Of course jeans are allowed. Please read the dress code. Seems we have this conversation every few months. What is not allowed is Casual jeans. Now, defining that is the million dollar question. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Where I worked prior to retiring, they allowed jeans in the office, with the same "non-casual" stipulation.  Some of the old-time directors around the country, though, hated the policy and put their own spin on it.  The only jeans they'd allow were "Sunday-go-meeting" jeans that were indigo blue, unfrayed, AND had a crease ironed in, thereby ruining them for any other use.  The other 95% of the directors simply stated, "No rips, no worn spots, and no excessive fading."  These days, even going to Michelin-starred restaurants, jeans are common - if not the norm.

My take on this whole thing.

My wife gets dressed up, does her hair, make up, wears nice clothes - why would I want to dress down to the lowest possible acceptable level?

BTW I don’t notice if you wear a ball cap,  jeans, sandals, flip flops. My attention is only on one person when we eat out. You do you.

• Like 6

Being trim and wearing newish solid color jeans is very different from being overweight and wearing ill-fitting jeans that you go grocery shopping in.

I do not wear jeans in any dining venue because I am past the 20 something tight little butt stage.

Let's be honest that it's not just the clothes, it's also how they fit a person.  I am flabbergasted at the number of women that wear tight spandex leggings. I often wonder if they have a magic mirror at home. So it's more than "if you can" but also "if you should".

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Being trim and wearing newish solid color jeans is very different from being overweight and wearing ill-fitting jeans that you go grocery shopping in.

I do not wear jeans in any dining venue because I am past the 20 something tight little butt stage.

Let's be honest that it's not just the clothes, it's also how they fit a person.  I am flabbergasted at the number of women that wear tight spandex leggings. I often wonder if they have a magic mirror at home. So it's more than "if you can" but also "if you should".

I had no idea that country club casual meant "buns of steel".  You learn something new every day.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

And I usually think those women have no mirror at home at all.  Hardly anyone looks good with their butt covered in spandex.  Wear a longer top!  OTOH, lots of people couldn't care less what we think.  That's why there are dress codes. 

• Like 4

On 9/16/2022 at 1:23 AM, Mura said:

From my experience on many Oceania cruises, he will be fine with that attire.  He doesn't need a sport coat or a suit.

A few years ago we dined with another couple early on a cruise.  He was wearing a suit and tie.  He noticed that many other gentlemen were far more casual.  So he asked about it, and I told him not to worry.

The next night we saw him in one of the specialty restaurants and he was FAR more casual.

The fact is that MOST gents on Oceania cruises are casual.  When a man wants to wear a sports coat he is free to do so. If he wants to "dress up", he can.  But as long as he doesn't show up for dinner in jeans with holes in them he will be fine. (The same goes for women,)

Mura

Husband wore polos  chinos and nice shoes for dinner in every speciality restaurant . 
I would  say it’s the norm . Some men wore Jackets but inky a few . You wear what you are comfortable in .

On 9/22/2022 at 3:36 PM, Cruisingagain2022 said:

Husband wore polos  chinos and nice shoes for dinner in every speciality restaurant . 
I would  say it’s the norm . Some men wore Jackets but inky a few . You wear what you are comfortable in .

We were dining in Polo a few years ago --- I think on Riviera.  We had 7:30 reservations but somehow they thought we had 6:30 reservations ... they found us a table in a corner anyway.  But when our neighboring party got up to leave we saw that they all had jeans with holes in them.

So much for rules about dining room attire.  Don't get me wrong"!  We didn't see what they were wearing until they left. We were surprised!  But not offended.

Mura

On 9/24/2022 at 4:52 AM, Mura said:

We were dining in Polo a few years ago --- I think on Riviera.  We had 7:30 reservations but somehow they thought we had 6:30 reservations ... they found us a table in a corner anyway.  But when our neighboring party got up to leave we saw that they all had jeans with holes in them.

So much for rules about dining room attire.  Don't get me wrong"!  We didn't see what they were wearing until they left. We were surprised!  But not offended.

Mura

Have definitely not seen any Jeans but the dress code is a lot more relaxed ( Recently on Riviera ) 

I have been following this discussion with interest. We have cruised many cruise lines and have settled on Oceania as our favorite. There is no question that over the last few years the accepted definition of country club casual has fallen considerably on Oceania. I’m personally sorry that neither I nor any Oceania staff member have been willing to be the appropriate police what is country club casual because the definition is not clear and confrontation is not worth the backlash.

And it shows. Last night in Jacques the man at the table next to us was wearing beat up jeans, a hooded sweatshirt with printed somewhat offensive drawings and verbiage on it and sandles with dirty socks and pontificating loudly about the American political groups he disapproved of. He and his wife were paired at their table with a nicely dressed European couple who were obviously by their expressions a bit taken aback by this pairing. 

My wife and I observed others in Jacques. We saw a number of men and women in blue jeans who accompanied them with what I would call more upscale shirts and tops.  We also did see another man and another woman in jeans wearing printed sweatshirts with colorful sweat shirts. 

The vast majority of the guests at dinner were in what we would classify as country club casual or even more dressy outfits. 

When we first started extensive cruising I remember packing a tux and my wife packing evening gowns. I’m glad those days are past but I’m sorry that going out to a specialty restaurant on Oceania is no different for some than going to Waves.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

And it shows. Last night in Jacques the man at the table next to us was wearing beat up jeans, a hooded sweatshirt with printed somewhat offensive drawings and verbiage on it and sandles with dirty socks and pontificating loudly about the American political groups he disapproved of. He and his wife were paired at their table with a nicely dressed European couple who were obviously by their expressions a bit taken aback by this pairing. 

That is   sad  that  they allow  such dress  anywhere at dinner other than the Terrace

• Like 6

To allow people in hoodies with 'designs' at an upscale dining area is just plain stupid.  People with real class won't take any action, but they'll probably look for a cruise line who cares about personal appearance.  Loud-mouthed louts have always been with us, but I just get up and walk away from them.  I understand why Oceania doesn't take action ... these days whomever screams the loudest gets their way, regardless of suggested behaviour or dress.  So it's a no-hope situation all the way around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

To allow people in hoodies with 'designs' at an upscale dining area is just plain stupid.  People with real class won't take any action, but they'll probably look for a cruise line who cares about personal appearance.  Loud-mouthed louts have always been with us, but I just get up and walk away from them.  I understand why Oceania doesn't take action ... these days whomever screams the loudest gets their way, regardless of suggested behaviour or dress.  So it's a no-hope situation all the way around. 

Why can't you just relax and enjoy your vacation.  Now if these people are making loud noises and spitting and harassing you I can understand but who knows maybe they were rushed back from an excursion.  Maybe there luggage got lost in flight.  Maybe it just does not matter.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Why can't you just relax and enjoy your vacation.  Now if these people are making loud noises and spitting and harassing you I can understand but who knows maybe they were rushed back from an excursion.  Maybe there luggage got lost in flight.  Maybe it just does not matter.

I read her quote in Dame Maggie's voice and it made perfect sense. 

Image result for Maggie Smith Downton

• Like 1