What is Your Opinion of the Classic Beverage Package Vs Premium

mcrcruiser

My wife and I don’t drink a lot and the standard package was more then enough. At dinner, we let our sommelier know what package we had and she would make recommendations within that.

I didn’t know you could just pay the difference, I might have tried a few more options but Def would not upgrade unless you drink a lot and only like top shelf. 

It depends on what you drink. We like the martinis at the martini bar and cocktails at the world class bar. Also I do like a baileys after dinner and my husband likes Stella Artois and a nice single malt after dinner . So in our case add in better wines,  Gins, San Pellegrino and the premium package is the best for us. Each to their own you just need to decide what works for you

If your traveling as a pair, you can upgrade one package for a small amount. So if if you have classic and one has premium, you could order a frozen drink on one and wine on the other.  This works for us but mzy not for all.  One of us does not like fancy coffee, sparking water, champagne etc.

the classic says frozen drinks.  is it not true? (this is from website)

Choose from an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs, frozen drinks and wines by the glass up to $9 per serving. This package also included a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle.

Yes, frozen drinks. And if you have the premium package, you do get better wines. You also must specify what liquor you want in a mixed drink in order get the premium liquor. I.E. Bloody Mary with Grey Goose. Otherwise, bartenders will make that mixed drink with well liquor. This is of course not so at the World Class or Martini bar as those drinks are priced for the premium package anyway/

A BT that we became friends with because he was on many cruises that we were on told us that the Classic was the best value because about 90% of the drinks that people order are in the Classic.  Even though you have a Premium Pack the drinks will be made with well spirits unless you request a premium

The only exception is drinks ordered from the Martini Bar Menu and WCB.   None of them are covered by the Classic.   

If you order a Martini flight you will pay the full price even if you have a premium pack, you can’t pay the difference.

You can order common style martinis at the Martini Bar that are covered by the Classic.    It will be in a small glass using well spirits, but they won’t duplicate the Premium using well spirits ex.  You can’t order a desert Martini using well spirits.  

One time they told me that they didn’t have any small glasses.   I said that is fine make it and use a Manhattan glass.   He said it wouldn’t be a martini.   I said it will still taste the same and have the same effect.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stellarose said:

the classic says frozen drinks.  is it not true? (this is from website)

Choose from an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs, frozen drinks and wines by the glass up to $9 per serving. This package also included a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle.

A

we have no cruised since 2016 but in the past when we had a liquor package in the past we had to pay for frozen strawberry daiquiri.  

9 minutes ago, doktor71 said:

A

we have no cruised since 2016 but in the past when we had a liquor package in the past we had to pay for frozen strawberry daiquiri.  

but isn't a strawberry - frozen- daiquiri is a frozen drink covered?  I am not saying you are wrong but just confused.  

Edited by stellarose
fixed

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

but isn't a strawberry - frozen- daiquiri is a frozen drink covered?  I am not saying you are wrong but just confused.  

EVERY cocktail is covered by either package. The classic gives you a $9 discount and the premium gives you a $15 discount. It's as simple as that.

If you order a $12 cocktail or glass of wine, it will cost you $3 + 20% gratuity with the classic or $0 with the premium.

The one exception I can think of is the martini flight, which you pay full price regardless of package.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

EVERY cocktail is covered by either package. The classic gives you a $9 discount and the premium gives you a $15 discount. It's as simple as that.

If you order a $12 cocktail or glass of wine, it will cost you $3 + 20% gratuity with the classic or $0 with the premium.

The one exception I can think of is the martini flight, which you pay full price regardless of package.

Do you pay the 20% gratuity even if you have gratuity included in your package?  I assume the 20% would still apply but just on the $3 overage? 

My friends all had premium. I had the classic. I paid the extra couple of dollars on 2 or 3 drinks in 7 days. They all ordered the classic drinks 90% of the time. When I asked them about it, they replied they didn't know what "those drinks were", lol. For our group, the classic package seemed to be the more economical choice. If you are picky about wines & top shelf alcohol - premium is your huckleberry. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RichYak said:

thank you. 

I upgrade because I really like Perrier/San Pellegrino (not covered at all by classic) and martinis from the Martini Bar (and nicer wines are a plus).  On average, I drink enough of those to make up the daily upgrade cost.  I really appreciate that Celebrity allows just me to upgrade because my husband would never make use of the premium package.

Unless you will drink enough premium drinks, it isn't worth the upgrade.  And right now (because of supply issues), if I was only upgrading for wine, I would probably wait until I boarded to make sure they actually have in stock premium wines I drink.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

I think that this rule applies to anything designated as a "flight", the wine flights at Cellar Masters (if it is on your ship), the Macallan flight, etc. Daily program seems to list these on a regular basis.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, capecodmercury said:

I think that this rule applies to anything designated as a "flight", the wine flights at Cellar Masters (if it is on your ship), the Macallan flight, etc. Daily program seems to list these on a regular basis.  

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

16 hours ago, doktor71 said:

A

That is absolutely covered under the classic package.  I can personally attest to that!  😃

• Like 1

I also get money's worth on the upgrade just on drinking the premium water and the smoothies in Spa Café.  That said, I do a great deal more by getting the more premium beer, wine, and liquor, but that's just gravy. 😉

• Like 4

You can pay the difference to upgrade but I recommend you check to see if the things you want on the Premium package are even available before doing so.  I've read several reviews of late that indicated that due to supply issues, many of the Premium wines and spirits were not available or had run out.  I believe you can upgrade once on board and you can do so up to 2 days after departure...giving you time to see what's available.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

We got the premium package for our next cruise because it was included in the package with premium wifi, premium drinks and $600 OBC which they aren't offering any more.  We have sailed in Europe with just the classic package because we felt that our money would be better spent on doing things in each of the ports of call and upgraded each drink as we went along but it is nice not to worry about it and just order whatever drink you want and not be concerned about an uncharge.   As others have said, the premium waters, wines, cocktails and beer gives you a much better choice of what you want to drink.  The beauty of it is that it is your choice to cruise any way you want. Just cruising is the important thing!  

• Like 1