What is Your Opinion of the Classic Beverage Package Vs Premium

mcrcruiser

5 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

A big differentiator in the premium package is that you can get Red Bulls, Vitamin Water, Premium Waters.

For me, this is where I get my monies worth on upgrading. Two red bulls a day, and a vitamin water and you’ve easily covered the price difference. 

Would you happen to know if, generally speaking, X ships carry Zero Sugar Vitamin Waters?

7 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I also get money's worth on the upgrade just on drinking the premium water and the smoothies in Spa Café.  That said, I do a great deal more by getting the more premium beer, wine, and liquor, but that's just gravy. 😉

Yep, I would upgrade just because of the *much*  better selection of beer...the Classic selection is pretty poor IMO.

22 hours ago, RichYak said:

This is correct. Additional gratuity only on the additional charge.

new cruiser here. We have the premium drink package, when we order a drink at the bar will we have to sign something that shows a tip and get charged that amount at the end? Or is that 20% included in the cost of the premium drink package cost? It’s so confusing. 

24 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Yep, I would upgrade just because of the *much*  better selection of beer...the Classic selection is pretty poor IMO.

You can get ANY beer with the classic package. You need to compare the cost of the per-beer upcharge with the classic package to the cost of upgrading to premium to see which is cheaper.

1 minute ago, ChefSha said:

new cruiser here. We have the premium drink package, when we order a drink at the bar will we have to sign something that shows a tip and get charged that amount at the end? Or is that 20% included in the cost of the premium drink package cost? It’s so confusing. 

The 20% is included in the package.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 1:38 PM, stellarose said:

the classic says frozen drinks.  is it not true? (this is from website)

Choose from an incredible array of beers, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs, frozen drinks and wines by the glass up to $9 per serving. This package also included a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle.

I'd hardly call the premium wines incredible.  Most are pretty average wines what you can purchase offshore for less than $20 a bottle plus they either ran out or didn't have in stock.  On the Equinox next Monday and will bring on my 2 bottle allotment. If I want something special I will just pay for it. 

35 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You can get ANY beer with the classic package. You need to compare the cost of the per-beer upcharge with the classic package to the cost of upgrading to premium to see which is cheaper.

The 20% is included in the package.

Rich, you should know I know that. LOL. But I drink enough beer on a cruise to almost get there...and remember, I just don't want to see the charges on my account. (of course you may not have seen that post...)

But, truth be told I haven't really checked the price differential...

ETA: But I will...just because I'm stuck here in the house with a severely twisted ankle (thought I broke it...)...going on 2 weeks now...could be worse, I could be on a cruise and stuck in my SR 🤣

Edited by dlh015

54 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes but not all bars have it.  When I have ordered it in the ocean view café, the server often have to go to the sunset bar or the pool bar to get it.

Thanks! Any excuse to spend more time at the Sunset Bar is a good thing! Seriously though, as long as I know it's on board, I'm happy to go wherever it is to get it.

43 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Rich, you should know I know that. LOL. But I drink enough beer on a cruise to almost get there...and remember, I just don't want to see the charges on my account. (of course you may not have seen that post...)

But, truth be told I haven't really checked the price differential...

ETA: But I will...just because I'm stuck here in the house with a severely twisted ankle (thought I broke it...)...going on 2 weeks now...could be worse, I could be on a cruise and stuck in my SR 🤣

Sorry, I guess we've had this conversation previously? I have to admit, I'm bad and keeping track of usernames that I've interacted with, and some CCers might be more than happy to forget me 🤣

It's a pet peeve of mine they way Celebrity markets their drink packages naming brands that one can get with the premium package implying that you can't get it at all with the classic.

Wow, 2 weeks is a bad sprain. Feel better. DrYak recommends keeping it elevated and doing lots of beverage package mathematical exercises. Truth be told, I'm not a doctor, I just play one on CC. 👨‍⚕️

• Haha 3

I find the Celebrity packages a little stressful and annoying, since so much is excluded on the classic package, compared to other lines I sail on, and they raise almost half the beers to $10 or higher so it's really difficult to know what to order, especially since there's no thorough drinks menu in any bar. It's even more annoying when I didn't have a package on my last no-perks cruise, so I just had to guess on prices without a physical or app menu for most bars, and I really don't like having to sign a slip asking for an extra tip beyond 18%. I also got nagged aggressively everywhere I went the first two days, trying to convince me to buy a package, even in the MDR and coffee bar, places I've never been package-pressured on any other line. Finally, I signed up for the classic non-alcoholic package for my next 2 cruises, but nowhere does it say if mocktails are included on that--it only says the premium package gives 'frozen mocktails', and the verbiage for the classic/premium coffee menu is also vague and unclear. I realize it's a way to convince people to upgrade and to maximize revenue, but I just don't feel the same pressure and pain points on Princess and HAL, either with their all-inclusive fares or buying individual drinks with OBC. What I really do like about the Celebrity packages, though, is that they allow you to buy them at a reduced price using OBC before the cruise, and the non-alcoholic ones seem a little cheaper than ones I looked at on Princess and HAL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

It's a pet peeve of mine they way Celebrity markets their drink packages naming brands that one can get with the premium package implying that you can't get it at all with the classic.

7 minutes ago, rj59 said:

I find the Celebrity packages a little stressful and annoying, since so much is excluded on the classic package...

You've quickly demonstrated the point I just made prior to yours. Celebrity would lead you to believe that $10 beers are excluded on the classic package. They are not. They cost $1.20 including gratuity on the classic package.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Finally cruising after way to long, and  can't find the price difference to upgrade from the classic ( included in our booking) drink package to the premium? We always use to upgrade, but I can't recall the price. We love the martini bar, better bourbons and nicer wines so upgrading is a no brainer. But why can't I find the cost anywhere? We will be on a 10 day through Spain  & Morocco if that makes a difference? TIA for any answers.

5 minutes ago, scubamommy! said:

Finally cruising after way to long, and  can't find the price difference to upgrade from the classic ( included in our booking) drink package to the premium? We always use to upgrade, but I can't recall the price. We love the martini bar, better bourbons and nicer wines so upgrading is a no brainer. But why can't I find the cost anywhere? We will be on a 10 day through Spain  & Morocco if that makes a difference? TIA for any answers.

I think it is now $15 plus 20% gratuity, pppd. You can Celebrity to upgrade. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubamommy! said:

Full price now the upgrade is $18 per person per day.  Loyalty (if applicable) and pre-cruise discounts bring it down lower.  Usually you have to call to upgrade pre-cruise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, adventurer1 said:

How much is a Blue Moon onboard?  Are the wines by the glass included in the classic beverage package reasonable?  I’m not a wine connoisseur,  but I don’t want to be stuck with poor quality wines.

$10 for a Blue Moon.  You'll need to try the classic wines to see which ones appeal to you and which don't.  Even among less expensive wines, there are always some pretty drinkable ones.

ETA: Since you asked about Blue Moon ... If it's a Weissbier that gets your taste buds going, they also offer Franziskaner for $6.  Might want to see what you think of that.

Edited by canderson

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Even among less expensive wines, there are always some pretty drinkable ones.

I didn't bother with the AI package on my recent cruise as I had enough red wine in my cabin and also with the Elite benefit the HH drinks were enough for me. One of the cabs offered was CK Mondavi actually pretty good as I drank it when too lazy to get a glass from my cabin.  Many couples who had the Premium package were ordering it although I would imagine there were better offerings on the Premium.  I drink more wine than martinis so why pay for Premium and order basic? 

On 9/18/2022 at 6:34 PM, RichYak said:

EVERY cocktail is covered by either package. The classic gives you a $9 discount and the premium gives you a $15 discount. It's as simple as that.

If you order a $12 cocktail or glass of wine, it will cost you $3 + 20% gratuity with the classic or $0 with the premium.

The one exception I can think of is the martini flight, which you pay full price regardless of package.

This is the most intelligent way I've seen this explained!  I will be totally using this when trying to explain the same thing to friends & family.

Edited by Team Stag
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 6:34 PM, RichYak said:

EVERY cocktail is covered by either package. The classic gives you a $9 discount and the premium gives you a $15 discount. It's as simple as that.

If you order a $12 cocktail or glass of wine, it will cost you $3 + 20% gratuity with the classic or $0 with the premium.

The one exception I can think of is the martini flight, which you pay full price regardless of package.

No.  Had to pay extra for some cocktails.  It wasn’t much.  

On 9/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, RichYak said:

Would you happen to know if, generally speaking, X ships carry Zero Sugar Vitamin Waters?

Yes, I have had quite a few bottles of these as recent as March/April of this year on Silhouette. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

This is the most intelligent way I've seen this explained!  I will be totally using this when trying to explain the same thing to friends & family.

Thanks. Also factor in any premium waters you might drink daily as they are completely included in the Premium package, but full price in the Classic.

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, I have had quite a few bottles of these as recent as March/April of this year on Silhouette. 

Thanks, my wife drinks enough of these to warrant upgrading to Premium without even factoring in any higher priced wine or cocktails.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

My girlfriend and I aren't drinkers

Would like bottled water available to me on a daily basis.  I take it that's included in the classic package?

Yes, but I think only the basic aluminum bottle waters are included in classic.