Norwegian Fjords - Not so sure!

Cinatown

19 minutes ago, Cinatown said:

Thanks for your reply. Flam and Olden look like they have great days out (you can combine the train in Flam with a zip-line and walk or cycle back to town) and Olden has the glacier walk and you can also book to go on the Loen Skylift. 

I am struggling for options at Stavanger and Haugesund. They both only seem to have boat trips but ideally I would have liked to have done the Pulpit hike in Stavanger. I am not sure that we will be there long enough to do this but have seen other cruise lines offer this as an excursion so it was a disappointment. I think it is more that Stavanger and Haugesund both seem very same-y at the moment as the only activities are cruises. I am sure that we will have a great time no matter what but it would have been a perfect line up if we could get to Pulpit Rock!

I think taking a ship's excursion in Flam is a very good idea, though the combination trip sounds a no brainer for you - things are looking up for ship's excursions suitable for the younger passenger (unlike us and many other posters here).  People do say they have managed to book the train independently, though I have a friend who was very disappointed since it was fully booked when she was there.  I think it can it can be booked before arrival, but you always have to bear in mind the possibility of a last minute cancellation, which are not that common, though do happen.  Also, the even remote possibility of getting stuck in Norway is a big risk since costs are extremely high, even for a drink, so finding a hotel and transport out would cost an arm and a leg if you did miss the ship.

I have also seen mention of a bus or taxis bing used to a point with access to the Brikstal glacier from Olden, though again a risk which I would not take in that location.  Sorry to sound so negative about these points, but something to bear in mind.  That is how the cruise lines make their money of course, since alternatives to the official excursions do have their drawbacks.  It is easier and less risky in some ports though.

I do not know Haugesund at all, but we have been to Stavanger a number of times.  The museums are worth considering as others have said and whilst I do see the special appeal of your desired hike from there.  If you wanted to just go on a walk locally for part of the day, you could always take a look at Google Earth and see what you may find in the way of roads along the coast or similar.  I do not know if that would be a possibility, but we do use Google Earth a lot to explore destinations which has proved very worthwhile once we arrived in the port.  Whilst weather in Norway can be beautiful, especially near to the longest days, there is always the risk of rain, like in northern Britain, so a poor weather option and good rain gear is worth having.  We went on the trip in Olden late June when it was warm and sunny, so T shirts all the way, so I hope you have the same,

Barbara  

50 minutes ago, Cinatown said:

Thanks for your reply. Flam and Olden look like they have great days out (you can combine the train in Flam with a zip-line and walk or cycle back to town) and Olden has the glacier walk and you can also book to go on the Loen Skylift. 

I am struggling for options at Stavanger and Haugesund. They both only seem to have boat trips but ideally I would have liked to have done the Pulpit hike in Stavanger. I am not sure that we will be there long enough to do this but have seen other cruise lines offer this as an excursion so it was a disappointment. I think it is more that Stavanger and Haugesund both seem very same-y at the moment as the only activities are cruises. I am sure that we will have a great time no matter what but it would have been a perfect line up if we could get to Pulpit Rock!

Have you been into the Trip Advisor forums?  we have found them very useful for the more unusual ideas, especially those suitable for very active people like yourself.  The locals or regular visitors who enjoy the outdoors to the ports are often very happy to advise there.  Perhaps worth me mentioning though that cruising is somewhat of a bittersweet thing there, especially in Flaam.  Whilst the cruise ships must provide a fair bit of business to the area, the pollution they can cause and hoards of people spoiling their villages and small towns are campaigned against by some, which I can quite understand.  Hence diplomacy may be worthwhile,

Enjoy the cruise, Norway is beautiful and the best way to see it is from the water,

Barbara

When i have been to Flam there have been excursions to Gudvanger at the head of Nearoyfjord with a boat trip back to Flam. The excursion works both ways, coach to Gudvangen and boat back or vice versa.

On my first Flam call we had an all day excursion up to Myrdal on the railway, we broke down and were late but they delayed the Oslo Bergen express for us. Then on to Voss for a nice lunch by the lake. Then on to a coach to visit waterfalls and finally the spectacular Stalheim hotel for pastries and tea/coffee

• Like 1

We enjoyed a couple of visits to Stavanger. The old town by the cruise terminal is lovely to stroll around, and the walk up to the Tower in town is also worth it.

To be truthful, the main draw for me is cruising down the magnificent fjords. Just such a shame they do it during the night, no doubt so that they can sell expensive tours when they dock at the end of the fjord. We always book balcony cabins, and try to wake up when we enter the fjord.  Spend the early hours well wrapped up on the balcony with a hot cup of something, and enjoy the breathtaking scenery. Then have a sleep in before a stroll ashore. Never book a speciality restaurant for a sail away on a fjord day, but head to the buffet, or anywhere with a view. The views of the fjords from the water are truly amazing, and the best way to enjoy them.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:03 PM, Cariad21 said:

I've just come back from the Fjords (not with P&O) and called in Flam, Olden and Haugesund. In Olden the Briksdal Glacier is a good 45-minute hike each way along a steep path (not a 'slight incline' as on the information board!). You can book independently and if doing the morning tour, there is enough time to then get a bus over to the Loen Skylift. The views are incredible and there are a number of walks you can do. Honestly, I could have spent the entire day doing that.

There are two paths to the glacier, one much more challenging than the other.

On 9/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, davecttr said:

When i have been to Flam there have been excursions to Gudvanger at the head of Nearoyfjord with a boat trip back to Flam. The excursion works both ways, coach to Gudvangen and boat back or vice versa.

On my first Flam call we had an all day excursion up to Myrdal on the railway, we broke down and were late but they delayed the Oslo Bergen express for us. Then on to Voss for a nice lunch by the lake. Then on to a coach to visit waterfalls and finally the spectacular Stalheim hotel for pastries and tea/coffee

Hi 
I was in Flam x3 weeks ago there is now the worlds first all electric boat,it sails from Flam to Gudvanger called Vision of the Fjords.

Its silent like a Tesla on water.

6374A7A5-A5BC-4E1F-B9CB-9DD40AF7165F.jpeg.4112169bf9225d5ee3b99e26d49fc779.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

The Briksdal glacier is the most underwhelming experience in Norway,,,it’s slowly receding and you can’t get anywhere near unless you are a mountaineer.

CD0315F1-E40E-4344-B389-CECA59C1D3F9.jpeg.94a4dd6d41e84bf38b639adc41b48fc1.jpeg

Indeed. It was better when I was last there.

259 Briksdal Glacier.jpg

On 9/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, Cinatown said:

I have spent ages looking at different Fjord cruises and finally settled on P&0 Brittania to Stavanger, Olden, Flam and Haugesund. Its our first cruise ever and I booked this specific cruise because out of all ports, Olden and Flam are the two that I would really like to visit and there doesn't seem to be many 7 day cruises that go to both these ports (its either one or the other!)

However, now that i've booked and seen the available excursions I am not so sure... I am disappointed with the excursions to Stavanger - the main attraction is Pulpit Rock (so Stavanger was also on the must-do list) but there are no hikes advertised, only boat tours which see Pulpit from below. It says we are docked from  morning to early afternoon so assuming we will not have enough time to book an independent excursion to Pulpit Rock (as these say around 8/9 hours). Then there does not seem to be a lot to do in Haugesund either. 

I would love to hear from anyone who has visited Stavanger and Haugesund - what did you get up to in the ports? Do you have any recommendations for independent tours/excursions ? We like walks but are open to suggestions.

We got off the Iona today visiting Stavanger as one of the stops .

I wanted to visit Pulpit Rock . P&O did offer it ( so it can be done) for £109 PP which i wasn't willing to pay as the Public/local bus is £31 PP. The issue I had when I rang the  PO call centre they wouldn't tell me the Docking times  saying i would have to book their excursion  🤬. I eventully found out it would dock at 9am and leave at 5pm so it was doable , as its a 1 hour eachway on the bus (new tunnel instead of ferry) and 3-5hrs walking/viewing depending how long you stay at the top. I read a 70 year old couple were tight for time and got down in 45 minutes. My problem was its just turned to winter timetable and the return buses were only 1.35pm and 4pm   plus It was the queens funeral so we decided to watch that instead .

Hope you manage to sort something out .

On 9/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, tring said:

I think taking a ship's excursion in Flam is a very good idea, though the combination trip sounds a no brainer for you - things are looking up for ship's excursions suitable for the younger passenger (unlike us and many other posters here).  People do say they have managed to book the train independently, though I have a friend who was very disappointed since it was fully booked when she was there.  I think it can it can be booked before arrival, but you always have to bear in mind the possibility of a last minute cancellation, which are not that common, though do happen.  Also, the even remote possibility of getting stuck in Norway is a big risk since costs are extremely high, even for a drink, so finding a hotel and transport out would cost an arm and a leg if you did miss the ship.

I have also seen mention of a bus or taxis bing used to a point with access to the Brikstal glacier from Olden, though again a risk which I would not take in that location.  Sorry to sound so negative about these points, but something to bear in mind.  That is how the cruise lines make their money of course, since alternatives to the official excursions do have their drawbacks.  It is easier and less risky in some ports though.

I do not know Haugesund at all, but we have been to Stavanger a number of times.  The museums are worth considering as others have said and whilst I do see the special appeal of your desired hike from there.  If you wanted to just go on a walk locally for part of the day, you could always take a look at Google Earth and see what you may find in the way of roads along the coast or similar.  I do not know if that would be a possibility, but we do use Google Earth a lot to explore destinations which has proved very worthwhile once we arrived in the port.  Whilst weather in Norway can be beautiful, especially near to the longest days, there is always the risk of rain, like in northern Britain, so a poor weather option and good rain gear is worth having.  We went on the trip in Olden late June when it was warm and sunny, so T shirts all the way, so I hope you have the same,

Barbara  

Thanks Barabra. Your post doesn't come off as negative at all. All good points to consider! You are right that there is a risk of cancellation. And this is one of the pros for booking with the cruise liner. I've done lots of scoping of online forums and tripadvisor etc for things to do in each port. Flam and Olden are not a problem, I just wish P&O did a trip to Pulpit rock when in Stavanger 🙂 the only trip they do around this is a boat excursion rather than visiting it. I am sure we will still have a great time whatever we get up to

Thanks again for all your comments! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nyckfocus said:

We got off the Iona today visiting Stavanger as one of the stops .

I wanted to visit Pulpit Rock . P&O did offer it ( so it can be done) for £109 PP which i wasn't willing to pay as the Public/local bus is £31 PP. The issue I had when I rang the  PO call centre they wouldn't tell me the Docking times  saying i would have to book their excursion  🤬. I eventully found out it would dock at 9am and leave at 5pm so it was doable , as its a 1 hour eachway on the bus (new tunnel instead of ferry) and 3-5hrs walking/viewing depending how long you stay at the top. I read a 70 year old couple were tight for time and got down in 45 minutes. My problem was its just turned to winter timetable and the return buses were only 1.35pm and 4pm   plus It was the queens funeral so we decided to watch that instead .

Hope you manage to sort something out .

Thanks for info 🙂 the Pulpit rock hike doesnt seem to be offered as an excursion on our cruise which is really disappointing (we will be travelling on the Britannia) as I do feel this is one of the main activities/attractions in the area. The only excursion involving Pulpit rock on ours is a cruise excursion. Its very frustraiting that they don't let us know the docking times as I am not sure if I should book something with P&O for that day or try to do an independent activity. I think it is doable if we are there 9-5 but on the website it says docked from 'morning to early afternoon' as opposed to 'morning to early evening' which makes me think we will be leaving before 5pm!

20 minutes ago, hobgoblin said:

Thinking about a fjords cruise but not so sure now !

Do the P&O ships all sale into fjords during the night?

Sounds like a bit of a disappointment .

The excursions sound underwhelming too.

Maybe Im wrong?

We loved our fjords cruise on Iona in May and didn’t find either of the excursions that we did, ferry to Geiranger and Troll car trip to Briksdal glacier, underwhelming at all, we’re hoping to do the troll cars again in a couple of years time.

Time-wise, if I remember rightly, we didn’t dock in the fjord ports until 8am ish so I was up taking photos at 6. Even if you don’t wake up to see the sail in you will see the sail out in the afternoons. The views while docked in the fjord ports are lovely too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hobgoblin said:

Thinking about a fjords cruise but not so sure now !

Do the P&O ships all sale into fjords during the night?

Sounds like a bit of a disappointment .

The excursions sound underwhelming too.

Maybe Im wrong?

Our cruises to the Norwegian Fjords have always been amazing and we wouldn't hesitate to do it again (and again)! The sailing in and out of the ports is very special, the ports themselves are spectacular and there is plenty to do, either by ship excursion or do-it-yourself. Olden is probably our favourite of all the ports, but Geiranger, Flam, Bergen, Stavanger etc. etc. are all lovely and varied places to visit. Never once have we experienced disappointment.

• Like 1

We have had 4 cruises to the fjords and would do it again in a heartbeat.  We are going back to Norway on a Midnight Sun cruise next year and at the other end of the scale we did a Northern Lights cruise in November.

Scandinavia has a lot to offer throughout the year.