Door decorators - Cabin doors are not magnetic on the Prima.

ziggyuk

On 9/25/2022 at 7:41 AM, RoutemanDan said:

Why would you put pictures of your dogs in the hallway??

Why would you put pictures on your door - period?

Surely you can remember a simple thing like your cabin number !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeroWA said:

Why would you put pictures on your door - period?

Surely you can remember a simple thing like your cabin number !!

Regardless of who can or can’t remember their stateroom number, some people enjoy having some identifier or cheerful presence on their door.  And there are people like myself that enjoy seeing what others have shared of themselves. 

If you want to wear a plain shirt, or a vibrant shirt, or have a plain cabin door or a vibrant cabin door, so be it.  I do know that people decorate their doors, and it is especially fun to see on the holiday cruises.  It hasn’t been forbidden in the dailies on the cruises I’ve been on.

I’m disappointed to hear Prima’s doors don’t support magnets.  We’ve used magnets on both sides of the doors in the past.  They’re incredibly useful

Edited by styxfire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMHO door decorations ate tacky. They make the hallways look like a row of dorm rooms.

Good that NCL has a policy that does not allow decorations on the cabin doors. I am curious if this is enforced on the ships.

MJ

Edited by MJSailors
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

I am curious if this is enforced on the ships.

MJ

Despite the Prima doors not working with magnets, here is one posted from Prima on FB with the message "My cabin door decor is up, I put it up last night and asked our Steward if it is okay and she said it is fine."

As always, mixed experiences on different ships.

May be an image of indoor

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

I'm guessing this thread will need to be merged with the 'controversial topics' one soon. Personally I'm in the camp of folks who like to see something other than the same brown door 100x in a row - provided it's tastefully done.

Most of our cruises we've made friends with fellow travelers that we keep in touch with either through FB, text, or other non-CC forums that allow direct messaging so we can coordinate trips and travel together again in the future. There's nothing wrong with letting a little bit of personality showing through.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJSailors said:

IMHO door decorations ate tacky. They make the hallways look like a row of dorm rooms.

Good that NCL has a policy that does not allow decorations on the cabin doors. I am curious if this is enforced on the ships.

MJ

i bet we could deputize you.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Despite the Prima doors not working with magnets, here is one posted from Prima on FB with the message "My cabin door decor is up, I put it up last night and asked our Steward if it is okay and she said it is fine."

that looks more like a ransom note than door decor.

"if you don't send £10,000, we're going to stuff a member of parliament in a phone box and then blindfold them and put them in a black cab and drive to scotland and iceland, then take them to canada, where we'll waterboard them with maple syrup and force them to listen to wayne gretzky sharing career highlights, after which we'll all go to prison in america, where we'll manufacture new york state license plates."

just dreadful.

who would want to look at that dozens of times over the course of a week or ten days? and why would someone think they have a right to subject their fellow passengers to such visual garbage? what's next? political bumper stickers? pin the tail on the donkey?

work it out before you get onboard! apply for a job as an art therapist for a class of fourth graders, for goodness sake!

you pay to rent the INSIDE of your cabin for a period of time. you don't own the hallway outside your cabin. you just don't.

perhaps nancy reagan had the best advice here, whenever ronnie felt the need to decorate his stateroom door:

just. say. no.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On our last cruise in the Gem in January of 22.

There was a door decorated with magnetic "Just MARRIED" with hearts flowers and cherubs. Done very well IMO. 

I also remember a small "CRUISE CRITIC" magnet on one of the room doors.

It's my impression that NCL does allow magnetic signs. But no decorations that may leave a residue or discoloration on the door.     

that may be your impression, but NCL haas no magnetic sign exemption.

they prohibit door decorations. period.

here's what they said when the policy was first implemented three years ago:

"we have often communicated that the safety and security of our guests and crew is always of the utmost importance... as such, we have specific requirements in place, including prohibiting stateroom door decorations, which can be a fire hazard."

on my most recent cruise a couple of weeks ago on the joy, this warning appeared in day 1 and/or day 2 of the dailies: 

“as per safety requirements, stateroom door decorations are strictly prohibited. your stateroom steward has been instructed to remove and place all decorations inside the room. thank you for your understanding and compliance with this safety policy.”

• Like 1

@UKstages Now thatI think about it,perhaps door decorations serving another purpose ie- games like pin the tale on the donkey may pass muster- no pun intended !😉

I think we are like-minded though about leaving cabin doors blank. After all, do you see hotel or resort room doors decorated, apartment doors decorated, office doors decorated? Not usually to never.

In HS,at Christmastime, each homeroom would decorate their classroom doors for a holiday contest. Once the door judging was finished  and awards given, the decorations had to come down. No one wanted to Santa etc in January when we all returned from vacation.

We always had a good time with the door contests- but,then again, we were high school kids !

If passengers want to decorate their cabins inside, then they should be able to do so and enjoy them.

By no means am I a Debbie Downer , but I like things with class and good taste- as I said in my first post, that is MHO.

MJ

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

"if you don't send £10,000, we're going to stuff a member of parliament in a phone box and then blindfold them and put them in a black cab and drive to scotland and iceland, then take them to canada, where we'll waterboard them with maple syrup and force them to listen to wayne gretzky sharing career highlights, after which we'll all go to prison in america, where we'll manufacture new york state license plates."

Sadly, £10,000 doesn't go as far as it used to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Sadly, £10,000 doesn't go as far as it used to.

yes, but the £10,000 does not include taxes or fees, gratuities, wifi or the DSC (daily solitude charge).

once those are added in, it's quite a princely sum.

• Like 1

there were no issues because, thankfully, i assume there was no fire onboard during your travels. had there been a fire on your deck, your door decorations would likely have contributed to the rapid spread of that fire.

according to NCL, that's why they're prohibited.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:12 PM, UKstages said:

who would want to look at that dozens of times over the course of a week or ten days? and why would someone think they have a right to subject their fellow passengers to such visual garbage? what's next? political bumper stickers? pin the tail on the donkey?

work it out before you get onboard! apply for a job as an art therapist for a class of fourth graders, for goodness sake!

you pay to rent the INSIDE of your cabin for a period of time. you don't own the hallway outside your cabin. you just don't.

perhaps nancy reagan had the best advice here, whenever ronnie felt the need to decorate his stateroom door:

just. say. no.

The door poster was very far from an eyesore to me, so it seems some folks are just a bit sensitive I guess to other's personal choice in what they find fun. I do however like the idea of pin the tail on the donkey and may just bring that along on my next trip.

Last time I checked, no one was decorating the hallways leaving a trail of painted breadcrumbs back to their room. The decorations are on their door. If you don't want to see them, don't look I guess, or look and make your unhappy comments to anyone in earshot. 

19 hours ago, UKstages said:

there were no issues because, thankfully, i assume there was no fire onboard during your travels. had there been a fire on your deck, your door decorations would likely have contributed to the rapid spread of that fire.

according to NCL, that's why they're prohibited.

Posters and crepe paper etc aside, I'm pretty sure a simple magnet is not a fire accelerant. The policy is there so they have something to stand behind if/when someone crosses the line. My simple magnet was not removed, hence not viewed as a problem by them.

Honestly, I'm much more perturbed by folks who have no elevator etiquette than by door decorations. I can't tell you how many times the doors would open and folks wouldn't move aside to make room (only 4 people in the lift, so plenty of room for 2 more), only to hear them make rude comments as the door closed about guessing that we didn't want to share the lift with them. Sorry, but no, I don't want to stand on your feet so if you don't make room for me it implies it's you who doesn't want me in there. Or the folks who insist that there is room for 2 more meanwhile we're already 10 deep.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 6:51 PM, UKstages said:

i'm sure four photos didn't "hurt" anybody, but i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that few people enjoyed seeing your girls for seven days as much as you did, just as few people enjoy seeing signs wishing others a happy birthday or sweet sixteen or a christmas wreath or an easter bunny or tommy's toy train.

Okay Ebenezer.  

BTW: what is wrong with Toy Trains?

25 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Some people travel in groups. Many groups have door decoration contests as part of the program. Some also have matching t-shirts, private parties, group slot pulls, etc.

Some people just look for things to grouch about.

26 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Some people travel in groups. Many groups have door decoration contests as part of the program. Some also have matching t-shirts, private parties, group slot pulls, etc.

Whatever turns you on - I guess!

all the fine folks who say that some are just being grouchy or overly sensitive are ignoring this inconvenient truth: NCL prohibits door decorations and they don't leave it to passengers to decide what constitutes a safety risk.

you're not allowed to skip your muster station check-in, even if you're sure you know where to report in the event of an emergency; you're not allowed to vape surreptitiously on the pool deck or in the buffet even if you're sure you're not bothering anybody, and you're not allowed to smoke on your balcony because you have determined in your infinite wisdom that you're in the open air and it isn't bothering anybody.

no means no.

the fact that many vape and smoke and decorate their doors with impunity is a different issue. clearly, when it comes to muster station check-in, NCL ain't kidding around. with regard to these other issues, enforcement is more lax. that doesn't mean passengers have permission to do these things.

don't be distracted by the fact that many (myself included) don't like door decorations and think they're tacky. that is not the issue. the issue is that it's a fire hazard and NCL prohibits the practice.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I lived in a dorm for four years.  I don't remember ever seeing any door decorations.  I'm guessing you've never set foot in a dorm in your life?

Wrong guess. Although, I was in a dorm for only one year. Townhouse for two and finally,rented a beach house with friends for Senior year. 

MHO - I do not appreciate door decorations on a cruise ship.

Apparently, YHO is that they are a fine addition to a cruise experience.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Let’s leave it at that.

MJ

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

all the fine folks who say that some are just being grouchy or overly sensitive are ignoring this inconvenient truth: NCL prohibits door decorations and they don't leave it to passengers to decide what constitutes a safety risk.

you're not allowed to skip your muster station check-in, even if you're sure you know where to report in the event of an emergency; you're not allowed to vape surreptitiously on the pool deck or in the buffet even if you're sure you're not bothering anybody, and you're not allowed to smoke on your balcony because you have determined in your infinite wisdom that you're in the open air and it isn't bothering anybody.

no means no.

the fact that many vape and smoke and decorate their doors with impunity is a different issue. clearly, when it comes to muster station check-in, NCL ain't kidding around. with regard to these other issues, enforcement is more lax. that doesn't mean passengers have permission to do these things.

don't be distracted by the fact that many (myself included) don't like door decorations and think they're tacky. that is not the issue. the issue is that it's a fire hazard and NCL prohibits the practice.

i lived next door to you my hard would be COVERED i pink flamingos.

• Haha 1