It’s official-My GF and I are joining the Crossing Club

steve4031

We booked the eastbound crossing departing Brooklyn on July 7.  We have a balcony on the starboard side. Per suggestions on here I googled Cunard travel agents and got a great one hear in Chicago.  The agency is affiliated with virtuoso. I got 300 per person onboard credit and a dinner for two in the steak house.  

I appreciate the support and feedback I got on here. Many suggested the WB crossing for great reasons.  We both really wanted the experience of departing nyc and seeing the Statue of Liberty.  I think we will be flexible enough to manage the mid day time change. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

We booked the eastbound crossing departing Brooklyn on July 7.  We have a balcony on the starboard side. Per suggestions on here I googled Cunard travel agents and got a great one hear in Chicago.  The agency is affiliated with virtuoso. I got 300 per person onboard credit and a dinner for two in the steak house.  

I appreciate the support and feedback I got on here. Many suggested the WB crossing for great reasons.  We both really wanted the experience of departing nyc and seeing the Statue of Liberty.  I think we will be flexible enough to manage the mid day time change. 

Congratulations !  Welcome to the crossings club.

So glad one has used the excellent information on CC and no doubt one is briefed on all the things to do.  The only (some say contentious) issue now is to decide on if, or not, to follow the unofficial  crossings dress code.

This will be the first of many……

Consider booking next, or many, Cunard Voyages onboard for extra OBC, the one is also free to transfer booking/s to your current TA for even more OBC.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Onboard

My Gf is will have no problem following the dress code. She has lots of outfits that would work.  I’m willing but I will need to purchase a couple of suits.  Not so sure about tuxedos.  But if suits will do I’ll be fine.  

Yes.  He’s good. He knows the different parts of the ship and keeps track of details.  We were looking at specific cabin numbers and he found one and then realized it would be on the port side and we wanted to be on the starboard side. He remembered my email sent two days earlier mentioning seeing the Statue of Liberty and caught it before I could ask if the cabin was on the starboard side.  That’s a stud travel agent imho.  He charges 75 per person but that’s been well returned with the steak house dinner and the onboard credit. 

I tried another for an Alaskan cruise and he charged the fee and initiated the booking and then told me they did not want  me to make several smaller payments to pay it off.  It was obviously they thought this was too much work. My response was loud and profane.  They told me if I was going to be abusive they would  didn’t want my business. I told them any competent travel agent accepts the practice of making several payments to pay off the cruise.  We went our own way.  I booked with HAL directly.  No problems.  

Since this is my first crossing and I would be booking a return flight i knew I needed help in this area. So I’m glad I got this guy.  

If one’s flight does not give access to a lounge, suggest booking a pre-flight lounge at Heathrow…..So much better than being in the middle of noise.  Also, Cunard can offer good prices across all aircraft seatings.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:20 AM, steve4031 said:

We booked the eastbound crossing departing Brooklyn on July 7.  We have a balcony on the starboard side.

Well done steve4031. Now comes the fun of planning and anticipating. Looking forward to your trip report in July. 

Jack

(fellow Chicagoian)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, steve4031 said:

We will actually be flying back from Paris. When we arrive we spend one night in London.  Then Eurostar to Paris.  

Good idea to double up your visit to Europe - plus, by flying back from Paris you avoid that annoying “environment” surcharge the Brits tack on to flights leaving the UK - depending upon distance and class of seat, it can be significant: up to about an extra $250 for a long flight in premium cabin - meaning that you could actually be saving money by taking the Eurostar and spending a night in Paris.

Also, one more reason to fly to UK and QM2 home rather than the other way around.

Edited by navybankerteacher

16 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I didn’t knew there were significant taxes out of Heathrow.  We have been to Paris before and GF wanted to return.  And I wanted to ride the Eurostar so it’s a win win. 

Of course, the Eurostar comes with some risk:  my first time, it lurched to a stop shortly after leaving the tunnel upon entering France: a group of French fishermen were staging a protest strike against catch limitations by sitting on the track.  We were several hours late arriving in Paris as the train had to be re-routed.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Well done steve4031. Now comes the fun of planning and anticipating. Looking forward to your trip report in July. 

Jack

(fellow Chicagoian)

We have done the roundtrip Transatlantic with a balcony....superb.....we also went on deck to really take it all in...

13 hours ago, sandjango said:

We have done the roundtrip Transatlantic with a balcony....superb.....we also went on deck to really take it all in...

We truly enjoyed being up on deck with a glass of champagne, and celebratory travelers, sailing out of NY harbor and by the Statue of Liberty.  

We are excited about this crossing.  I know it is impossible to predict EXACTLY what the weather will be like on a particular crossing.  But I am curious about what the temperatures would be once we are at sea.  I was thinking 50's or 60's if it was sunny and calm outside.  

14 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

We are excited about this crossing.  I know it is impossible to predict EXACTLY what the weather will be like on a particular crossing.  But I am curious about what the temperatures would be once we are at sea.  I was thinking 50's or 60's if it was sunny and calm outside.  

What one has suggested is about correct, but even in July have enjoyed a couple of days at mid 70s

But if encountering fog, the silence, lack of long distance vision and sound of the noble Queen announcing her presence is quite special.

Congratulations! My husband and I are the exact same situation, but our EB crossing is in January. And oddly enough, I believe our travel agent is the exact same one as you describe. (Not allowed to name names though).

Sounds like you have the exact right spirit for planning! I hope you enjoy your trip and would love to hear details when you're back. 

2 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

Congratulations! My husband and I are the exact same situation, but our EB crossing is in January. And oddly enough, I believe our travel agent is the exact same one as you describe. (Not allowed to name names though).

Sounds like you have the exact right spirit for planning! I hope you enjoy your trip and would love to hear details when you're back. 

I intend to write a detailed trip report that should be helpful to first timers.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just made the final payment yesterday.  I have 300 in shipboard credit, prepaid gratuities, and dinner in the steak house.  I am quite pleased with my TA.  We are not big alcohol drinkers so 300 will go pretty far.  

54 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I just made the final payment yesterday.  I have 300 in shipboard credit, prepaid gratuities, and dinner in the steak house.  I am quite pleased with my TA.  We are not big alcohol drinkers so 300 will go pretty far.  

Not long now to wait….So much to look forward to…..

May one suggest to pay the small Dinner Menu ‘additional’ price and take the shared seafood platter and the Wagyu steak.  
Steakhouse Menu Link….

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/my-voyage/pdfs/qm/qm_steakhouse_verandah_menu_02a.pdf
Enjoy…..  Cunarders will look forward to one’s blog….

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Menu

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not long now to wait….So much to look forward to…..

May one suggest to pay the small Dinner Menu ‘additional’ price and take the shared seafood platter and the Wagyu steak.  
Steakhouse Menu Link….

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/my-voyage/pdfs/qm/qm_steakhouse_verandah_menu_02a.pdf
Enjoy…..  Cunarders will look forward to one’s blog….

The Cunard page is not showing up.   But I get the idea.  I can pay extra and order things that I might actually like.  Some of the menu options are meh IMHO.  

51 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

The Cunard page is not showing up.   But I get the idea.  I can pay extra and order things that I might actually like.  Some of the menu options are meh IMHO.  

Also, the sides can be considered on the small, but one is allowed up to 6 sides without charge.