Hair splitting on Loyalty Tiers: When exactly do they change?

WestonOne

After my next trip I will have accumulated enough points to move up to the Caribbean level.   But when exactly does this kick in for the 'onshore' benefits?  Do you move up the level at the end of the qualifying cruise or when you board the one after?    There are only a few things affected, so it is more curiosity than of any significance.

The FAQ says:

Once you have spent at least 15 nights on board (150 points), you automatically become a member and enter at the Pacific Tier. When you join us for your next cruise, you will be entitled to Pacific Tier benefits.

As points are awarded at the end of a cruise, you cannot move up a tier mid-cruise. Instead, you will enjoy

the additional benefits when you join us for your next cruise.

... which is not that clear about the onshore benefits.

Edited by WestonOne

I am Caribbean tier and can't think of any onshore benefits??

P&O site

Peninsular Club Magazine / Dedicated hotline - 0345 3 576 969 (local call charges apply) / Exclusive cruise discounts of 5% / 10% discount on bespoke P&O Cruises travel insurance / Priority booking / Annual gift

Also you get onboard earlier

I have not seen a peninsular magazine or annual gift for ages

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I am Caribbean tier and can't think of any onshore benefits??

P&O site

Peninsular Club Magazine / Dedicated hotline - 0345 3 576 969 (local call charges apply) / Exclusive cruise discounts of 5% / 10% discount on bespoke P&O Cruises travel insurance / Priority booking / Annual gift

Also you get onboard earlier

I have not seen a peninsular magazine or annual gift for ages

I think the gift is the calendar, did you get one of those?

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We didn't get one last year, not that we are bothered 

count yourself lucky.   Ours was ok but dads is missing October and November.  You couldn’t make it up!  Mind you the way this year is going it might be a bonus 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Recently we got to the heady heights of Caribbean, the early embarkation, welcome onboard lunch and 1/2 bottle of champagne is really nice. On our next cruise we should experience our first loyalty lunch which I’m not so sure about as we aren’t really into the mixing with others who just want to talk about how many cruises/how well they know the Captain/how large their cabin/moan how things have changed etc. Hopefully it will be a pleasant experience. 

We went up a loyalty tier mid cruise and as soon as we had completed that cruise it meant we could use our 10% discount on booking shore excursions for the next cruise. We had already booked some trips at 7.5% but cancelled and rebooked to get the extra off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I travel down by coach, the early embarkation and lunch are irrelevant. All I will have to look forward too is 'lunch with the staff', the extra discount and maybe a calendar. Hmm, I won't be holding my breath. (Though the extra discount would be gratefully received).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FluffyFiFi said:

Recently we got to the heady heights of Caribbean, the early embarkation, welcome onboard lunch and 1/2 bottle of champagne is really nice. On our next cruise we should experience our first loyalty lunch which I’m not so sure about as we aren’t really into the mixing with others who just want to talk about how many cruises/how well they know the Captain/how large their cabin/moan how things have changed etc. Hopefully it will be a pleasant experience. 

We went up a loyalty tier mid cruise and as soon as we had completed that cruise it meant we could use our 10% discount on booking shore excursions for the next cruise. We had already booked some trips at 7.5% but cancelled and rebooked to get the extra off.

We always request a table for the size of our party and no staff. Has worked so far

15 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

We always request a table for the size of our party and no staff. Has worked so far

As a matter of interest, why no staff ? We will never cruise enough to join the lunch, but I would have thought that talking to crew members would be interesting and informative. 

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, why no staff ? We will never cruise enough to join the lunch, but I would have thought that talking to crew members would be interesting and informative. 

It is. I’m disappointed if not at an officer’s table at the loyalty lunch.
Most of the time you find out all sorts of interesting info into how the ships operates etc. Although I will admit on one occasion I had a crew member who really didn’t want to talk - but you can get that with any shared table!!

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Quite right wowzz, it was always interesting to hear what their job entailed, and any anecdotes they were prepared to divulge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Quite right wowzz, it was always interesting to hear what their job entailed, and any anecdotes they were prepared to divulge.

Indeed. Not exactly the  same,  but we were on an excursion with one of the onboard entertainers - she was the piano soloist who played in various venues around the ship. Talking to her about life on board was more interesting than the excursion! 

Nice food - far better than standard fare. Free wine.   Nice atmosphere.   Done over 40 cruises and had the Aurora captain (Bogoyne) at our usual dinner table several times and captain at this lunch.  Find my hot news out on the internet nowadays. They are unlikely to divulge anything.  Other passengers just want to tell you where they’ve been and how much they paid.  

3 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Nice food - far better than standard fare. Free wine.   Nice atmosphere.   Done over 40 cruises and had the Aurora captain (Bogoyne) at our usual dinner table several times and captain at this lunch.  Find my hot news out on the internet nowadays. They are unlikely to divulge anything.  Other passengers just want to tell you where they’ve been and how much they paid.  

I’ve never met anyone on those lunches who has told me how much they paid for their cruise or for example who they’ve sat with previously 🤣🤣.

Of course you are going to initially going to talk about other P&O cruises you’ve done because the likelihood with it being a loyalty lunch you may have met before (and that has happened to me several times).
I’m not interested in “hot” news - just decent conversation, good food and a few glasses of wine followed by a lovely afternoon snooze!.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’ve never met anyone on those lunches who has told me how much they paid for their cruise or for example who they’ve sat with previously 🤣🤣.

Of course you are going to initially going to talk about other P&O cruises you’ve done because the likelihood with it being a loyalty lunch you may have met before (and that has happened to me several times).
I’m not interested in “hot” news - just decent conversation, good food and a few glasses of wine followed by a lovely afternoon snooze!.

Perhaps these staff members would be better employed by putting on a spare pinney and opening a few speciality restaurants.  Perhaps they don't want to chat with the punters.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps these staff members would be better employed by putting on a spare pinney and opening a few speciality restaurants.  Perhaps they don't want to chat with the punters.

I suspect most of the crew hate hosting those lunches with passengers asking the same old questions 🤣🤣

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I suspect most of the crew hate hosting those lunches with passengers asking the same old questions 🤣🤣

Probably do Avril. I guess some folk enjoy them, but not for us. Plenty of professional entertainment. Off you go number one. Time to eat with the Important people. Do I have to sir, can't I Splice the mainbrace instead..?🤣