CBD Salve

Since almost all US states allow some form of cbd, it's really depends on the countries you'll be visiting.

Doesn't matter if it's for medicinal use, you're still in their country when you dock. Some islands will bring sniffer dogs on board and if they sniff anything out, you the pax will have to deal with the local authorities.  

The Brittney Griner case is on the extreme side, but can happen. 

All cruise lines that sail from US ports follow FEDERAL guidelines. The State you reside in has nothing to do with your question.

From a Federal standpoint, the cruise line will prohibit what you are asking.

Reality wise.... Most likely nothing would happen other than confiscation if found. Worse case though,,, the possibility of Federal violation and the consequences therein.

• Like 1

In actuality, it has nothing to do with state law or even US Federal law.  Under the IMO's conventions like STCW and MLC, which all flag states have adopted as law, all ships have a zero tolerance for drug use.  Since there is always some THC in a CBD product (in the US, since the FDA does not regulate it, you are relying on the maker's claims to zero THC), and even countries like Holland that allow certain CBD products (with a specified THC level) do not allow it on their ships.  It is a US Federal law about ships as well, since the US is signatory to the IMO conventions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies.  I'm cruising on Princess and their FAQ on banned items doesn't specifically list CBD

• All illegal drugs, including medications without proper prescriptions. This includes legal intoxicant synthetic or “designer” drugs also known as “Legal Highs” such as Lysergamides, Opioids, Methoxetamine, Synthetic Cannabis, Betel Nuts or Kava (Cava).
  • Medical Marijuana

I was hoping someone else had tried it, I will probably air on the side of caution.  Hate to fly across the country only to be denied boarding.🙀

I think you mean a topical product that contains CBD. Not all CBD products contain THC. I don't think that a truly 0% THC product would be considered banned. I do know people who use medical grade ones at their doctor's direction. However, if you can survive a week without it, it's way higher risk to bring that than a not CBD alternative. I wouldn't bother. 

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Not all CBD products contain THC. I don't think that a truly 0% THC product would be considered banned.

So, what is a "truly 0% THC product"?  As I've said, since the FDA does not regulate CBD products, you are relying on the manufacturer's claims as to whether the product is THC free or not.  Even CBD products from hemp can contain THC.  

Before my hip replacement, my CBD cream was very helpful. If I were still using it and went on a cruise I would most likely bring it and not even think about the legality of it all. Good for you on checking.
And I would be interested if a drug sniffing dog would be able to detect mine because the essential oil smell is VERY strong, my only complaint about it.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So, what is a "truly 0% THC product"?  As I've said, since the FDA does not regulate CBD products, you are relying on the manufacturer's claims as to whether the product is THC free or not.  Even CBD products from hemp can contain THC.  

ok. But you are only relying on the fda as a regulating authority. Are you suggesting there is no country in the world with an equivalent of the fda that regulates Cbd products? As I said, Japan comes to mind because there are more conservative than the US and products must be 0% thc to be legal there.

Edited by sanger727

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

ok. But you are only relying on the fda as a regulating authority. Are you suggesting there is no country in the world with an equivalent of the fda that regulates Cbd products? As I said, Japan comes to mind because there are more conservative than the US and products must be 0% thc to be legal there.

FDA is the regulatory authority in the US. CBP enforces US laws, including federal drug enforcement. The OP is sailing from a US port. What other authority would be relevant in this case? Certainly not any in Japan.

Edited by mom says

15 hours ago, mom says said:

FDA is the regulatory authority in the US. CBP enforces US laws, including federal drug enforcement. The OP is sailing from a US port. What other authority would be relevant in this case? Certainly not any in Japan.

The relevancy is whether any companies produce 0% THC products. If I can go to Japan and buy something that is 0% THC, then such products exist. The poster I was quoted originally stated that "ALL" CBD products contain THC. I agree, that some do and, especially in the US, it can be difficult to identify which do and which do not. That doesn't mean that there are no 0% THC CBD products. 

Edited by sanger727

Since US laws are brought up in this thread.....US federal law states CBD with a THC content of less than .3% is legal.  If that's what the op is carrying, then US law is not their concern.  In this particular question, the op is best to ask the cruise line. Cruise line zero tolerance policy is more applicable in this case than the law.