From King Crab to Poi-almost live from Koningsdam Alaska to Hawaii and back

Clay Clayton

On 10/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, stretchcruz said:

Very interesting, Clay, about the Covid test. Are they anticipating that you will have contracted it? I know a lot of people don't realize that they have it until they fly home. Hmmmmm

On 10/7/2022 at 7:48 AM, SilvertoGold said:

On 10/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, SilvertoGold said:

22 hours ago, durangoscots said:

It sounds like cruises headed to Hawaii are doing more testing.

17 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Hi Clay - so enjoying your Live Report.

Re:  Covid Tests & Face Masks.

Yes there are 2 other HAL ships sailing towards Hawaii right now.

The Zuiderdam & the Westerdam.

All boarding passengers had to have a COVID test.

Passengers In-Transit had to have another Covid test like you.

All ships are having passengers wear face masks until they reach Honolulu.

(This is off their Cruise critic blogs)

I'm going to make a POSITIVE assumption:

HAL is taking extra precaution to minimize COVID on these longer cruises.

Wanting to ensure everyone is Covid free as they depart from final port prior to Honolulu.

Then wearing masks until Honolulu which is normally minimum 3-4 day transit --- giving time for COVID to surface for passengers who may have flown etc.

May the Force Continue to be With you --- Enjoy your Cruise

Cruising Grandma is correct.  We were told that everyone going to Hawaii has to be tested to meet HAL’s protocols that cruises of 16 days require all aboard to be tested. I have spoken to several B2B passengers who confirmed they also had to be tested.  It will be interesting to learn how they test those embarking today given the reports that some have been told that no testing is required. 

• Like 3

Finishing up Ketchikan day:

Lumberjack show was touristy but fun, glad we went. 

Dinner menu in dining room tasted better than expected.  Mike really enjoyed his lamb shank and Robert his braised brisket.  Scott had the sweet and sour shrimp and said it was tasty.  My vegetarian choice of mushroom and spinach strudel was just ok though the curry sauce and rice with it was great. 

We had dressed for the “Orange Party” but ended up just watching it for a minute before heading to bed, at 10:30 but since the clocks were going to be moved forward at 2am that meant we stayed up late right?😂

1F5FCF96-423B-4E38-824D-27B33FD39CF1.jpeg

• Like 5

Friday-Last Sea Day

We were notified last night that we needed to appear this morning for a COVID test.  Unclear why those of us onboard for the B2B to Hawaii have to be tested when those boarding on Saturday haven’t been told to present a test.  I asked when we went for the test and was told that HAL protocols require that everyone on cruises of 16 days or longer be tested. It will be interesting to see how they handle testing for the folks boarding in Vancouver. We appear to have tested negative-they asked us to isolate in our staterooms for 15 minutes and that if they didn’t call then we were free to leave. We waited closer to 30 and thankfully the phone never rang. 😊

While today was supposed to be scenic sailing through the inside passage, the heavy fog stayed with us all day so there was nothing to see and we heard the fog horn all day. Glad we have sailed this route before as it has been foggy in both directions on this cruise. 

The four of us ate lunch together near the NY Deli-Robert had pizza while the other three of us gathered food from the Lido and brought it upstairs. After lunch, we played “The Game of Life”. All of us retired Millionaires but Mike won with a net worth of $1.475 million plus a log cabin that apparently had no value. 

We then moved to Billboard on 2 and played cards until time for Trivia. 

The Culinary Institute Dinner didn’t sound good but was very tasty.  Who knew that Indian spiced Prime Rib would be tasty? We will be looking forward to it repeating!

Just had a final breakfast with Scott & Robert as they are disembarking and heading back to North Carolina. Will miss having them aboard for the Hawaii portion.  

Looks like it will be another beautiful day in Vancouver-sunny and 76°-guess it’s getting us ready for Hawaii. 

We are going to get off and stroll along the waterfront for a bit once most have left the ship.  We are required to at least get off and go back through US Customs-we aren’t sure why but will do as told. 

8C554E93-CFEB-4AF2-8D95-A85851D07D5A.jpeg

71CDC339-B946-4320-9246-09B2CB3E081F.jpeg

CDD9640D-E353-4F39-8633-94F9C5167C9A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Assorted Thoughts after a week 

Lettucegate

We have noticed an interesting trend on board. Menus will call for one item but another will be substituted. For example, there was a delicious sounding salad one evening on the dining room menu-butter lettuce with pear, walnuts, and blue cheese.  However, there was no butter lettuce to be found. This wasn’t a big deal but we found it interesting since when I asked to see the menus for the week (so we could decide which nights to make reservations at Specialty Restaurants) I was told they weren’t available and that no one knew. When I stated that this impossible and that I believed that the chef likely knew what would be served for the next month, I was told they didn’t want to publish menus ahead of time as they might have to change it due to a lack of ingredients. My suggestion for some fine print that stated menu items subject to change seemed to be a revelation 😂. And of course the next day when we ordered a Caesar Salad it was made with butter lettuce🤔  

Another dining room conundrum:

I appreciate them having salt and pepper grinders on the tables in the Dining Room but they are exact matches. There is nothing to identify one from the other. No big deal but why?😂 

We are So Lucky

Several times during our visit to Alaska I have been reminded of just how lucky I am to be able to visit places around this world. Alaska is so beautiful and amazing to visit. I think we may have to look into to coming back and staying for a longer period and really get to know it. 

8744520E-9E8B-477B-8C01-7736EB5B49AD.jpeg

87566180-E448-43C3-A999-807B2853FD07.jpeg

E2EC2223-6CE9-47FF-BEA0-609A907C94EA.jpeg

75F3DE63-3A68-4F2B-AC7C-0D07965B6498.jpeg

DBEDBAEF-A90E-479C-976E-7B4FBC8C1B54.jpeg

54E97D19-7D42-4993-B37A-38ADF20EAE5C.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I appreciate them having salt and pepper grinders on the tables in the Dining Room but they are exact matches. There is nothing to identify one from the other.

On our recent Zaandam cruise, my wife pointed out that the salt had a thin circle of white on the adjusting knob, the pepper black. A few of the grinders also had an "S" or "P" near the bottom.

I hate the salt grinders, I end up with gravel sized salt chunks too often.

Great thread, Clay, thanks for posting.

12 minutes ago, whogo said:

On our recent Zaandam cruise, my wife pointed out that the salt had a thin circle of white on the adjusting knob, the pepper black. A few of the grinders also had an "S" or "P" near the bottom.

I hate the salt grinders, I end up with gravel sized salt chunks too often.

Great thread, Clay, thanks for posting.

I will see if I can find the line…four of us looked unsuccessfully every night for 5 nights.  They are well marked in Rudi’s. 

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

It will be interesting to learn how they test those embarking today given the reports that some have been told that no testing is required. 

Wife and I received the email from HAL advising no test for fully vaccinated guests on 16 day Hawaii from Vancouver. We have Verifly with Ready to Sail status (no test). Info button on Verifly states vaccine OR test required.

8 minutes ago, MarinersBaseballFan said:

Wife and I received the email from HAL advising no test for fully vaccinated guests on 16 day Hawaii from Vancouver. We have Verifly with Ready to Sail status (no test). Info button on Verifly states vaccine OR test required.

Very strange…wonder why they told us one thing and you another. 

10 minutes ago, MarinersBaseballFan said:

We just double checked on the HAL specific cruise protocol search. We put in the booking number and name and it states that fully vaccinated passengers do not need a Covid test. If HAL has changed that without changing the app, I would not be shocked; we would just make like Gumby and Pokey and be flexible. See you on the ship.

• Like 1

How perfect-red maple tree in Canada!  Beautiful day in Vancouver-enjoying a walk along the sea wall while all the newbies board for Hawaii. Lots of Vancouverites enjoying what has to be one of the last warm days until spring…including two ladies who are pushing the season even more than us in our regular length shorts😳

3543EE14-EF3A-44A8-BE5D-D07F1C29C59A.jpeg

6990FA69-182A-43FA-A57B-4E2DEAF3BEF4.jpeg

9E75DC16-7134-4F1B-A0CD-215F72DBDC10.jpeg

763A2F41-5024-4BA7-B665-26748A936F66.jpeg

1E8CA84E-DAD1-4641-9F4E-1E54C058FFBA.jpeg

C4EC15EE-DFC1-4684-B8FF-CD49D2D53077.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Back on board with only having to be a jerk a little bit.  As we reentered the terminal, we flashed our “in transit” cards and were directed to the “crew” line which was also being used as the handicapped line at security.  Then unlike crew, we followed the “in transit” sign to passport control, then were directed to purgatory…but why I asked, we are in transit and told we could go immediately aboard.  After deer in headlight looks from two of the contracted terminal staff, I just kept walking towards Heaven’s Gate and while the terminal staff tried to stop me,  a HAL officer in Heaven saw me waving my In Transit pass and waved me through.  After that it was clear sailing (pun intended) all the way onboard.  

Now back at “our” table beside the pool for lunch. 

5473B414-CDB4-4764-833B-3E0685C6428B.jpeg

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Back on board with only having to be a jerk a little bit.  As we reentered the terminal, we flashed our “in transit” cards and were directed to the “crew” line which was also being used as the handicapped line at security.  Then unlike crew, we followed the “in transit” sign to passport control, then were directed to purgatory…but why I asked, we are in transit and told we could go immediately aboard.  After deer in headlight looks from two of the contracted terminal staff, I just kept walking towards Heaven’s Gate and while the terminal staff tried to stop me,  a HAL officer in Heaven saw me waving my In Transit pass and waved me through.  After that it was clear sailing (pun intended) all the way onboard.  

Now back at “our” table beside the pool for lunch. 

5473B414-CDB4-4764-833B-3E0685C6428B.jpeg

Happy sailing!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

How perfect-red maple tree in Canada!  Beautiful day in Vancouver-enjoying a walk along the sea wall while all the newbies board for Hawaii. Lots of Vancouverites enjoying what has to be one of the last warm days until spring…including two ladies who are pushing the season even more than us in our regular length shorts😳

3543EE14-EF3A-44A8-BE5D-D07F1C29C59A.jpeg

6990FA69-182A-43FA-A57B-4E2DEAF3BEF4.jpeg

9E75DC16-7134-4F1B-A0CD-215F72DBDC10.jpeg

763A2F41-5024-4BA7-B665-26748A936F66.jpeg

1E8CA84E-DAD1-4641-9F4E-1E54C058FFBA.jpeg

C4EC15EE-DFC1-4684-B8FF-CD49D2D53077.jpeg

Where is the other half of the shorts 😛?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UWDawg said:

It's now Oct 14 and I'm on pins and needles anxiously awaiting Clay's next post. 🏝️

It's still the middle of the night there, considering the time difference. 
Give him a chance to sleep, wake up, and get some coffee. 

• Haha 1

Oct 9-First Sea Day

63° sunny, foggy by late afternoon 

Awoke to sunshine, warmer temperatures, and a bumpy ride.  Actually, noticed we were rolling a bit when I woke up during the night, but can definitely feel the stabilizers working this morning. The temperature was 62° at 9 am.  We enjoyed a light breakfast beside the rear pool, but unlike the Alaska segment we had to share the space. I suspect this will get worse as time goes on and the weather gets warmer and warmer and more and more people want to eat outside. 

We had dinner last night at one of our two seatings!  When we originally booked, we requested and received “Open” seating for dinner (show up and eat or wait for a table when you wish). Scott and Robert prefer “Main” seating (8pm each night at the same table) so we changed it for the Alaska portion to a table for four at Main Seating. We thought we had only changed it for the first week but discovered our key cards said we were still expected at the same table for Hawaii. We tried several times to change it and were told we couldn’t do so until the next cruise started. Upon reboarding yesterday, we stopped and spoke to one of the restaurant folks and he was willing to put us on a wait list for “open” seating but warned us that if we were reassigned that we should expect quite a wait for a table as there were 1,700 guests on the open seating list.  We elected to stick with the 8 pm seating.  If we didn’t want to wait that late, we would just head to the Lido Buffet -which we expect we will prefer when we get to a warmer climate and want to eat Al fresco anyway. But wait Clay, you said at the beginning of this epistle that you ate at one of your two seatings.  That’s right, we got back to our room and found a new set of key cards dated just for the Hawaii cruise and they show “open seating”. So I guess we can really “Freestyle” (to borrow another cruiselines tagline) and eat when and where we want!  

This is another example of the miscommunication we find on all cruiselines but that HAL seems to have a particular issue with. Other examples: NY Deli advertises bagels for breakfast yet they aren’t open, the letter we received last night chastising us for not checking in at our muster station even though the letter we received three days prior describing the “in transit” procedures clearly said we didn’t have to do so. 

We headed to the Crow’s Nest (the forward observation lounge) to “Meet for a game of RISK” advertised in the “when & where”-HAL’s daily activity listing thinking it would be a group event. But appears not.  So we found the board game and played. After taking 30 minutes to set up, Mike won the war and was King of the World about 30 minutes later😂

Unfortunately, due to my stupidity, I failed to attend the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. I had it on my calendar for 4pm rather than 11am when it was actually held.  I understand it was well attended. Hate I missed it. 

Spent most of the afternoon on our balcony reading.  Unfortunately it appears our next door neighbor is learning to play the recorder and decided that the balcony would be a good place to practice. 

Trivia was a real bust today-only got 5 points. Do you know Mother Teresa’s birth name? How about what type of precipitation killed 90 people in Bangladesh in 1990something? (Snow and Bernadette are incorrect. Agnes and grapefruit sized hail would have gotten us two more points). 😂

It’s a dressy night tonight-hope we don’t run into anyone who was on the Alaska cruise as they will recognize our outfits!😳

Menu tonight is only slightly different than on the previous segment/still using the 75th Alaskan Anniversary paper stick for the menu but no golden eagles for dessert. I had escargots, artichoke & carrot soup, and rack of lamb. For dessert I had the flourless chocolate cake. Mike had a shrimp cocktail, the soup and the lamb.  He tried the no sugar added Black Forest Cake. Everything was good, nothing spectacular.  

There is a table of 10 Indians beside us. I noticed last night that during a discussion with the Maitre d’ that he shared with them a paper menu that appeared to be what I recall from online as the daily Indian menu.  Tonight, it appeared they all ordered appetizers and desserts from it and about half ordered the standard vegetarian option for their main course while the rest had the Indian selection. After we had finished, I asked them how the Indian food tasted, they all said very good. When I asked one of the ladies if it was as good as what she made, she said better. Another lady said that was true  for her but it wasn’t as good as what she could make😂. We spoke with the Maitre d’ about ordering it and he offered us the menu but when I asked what was on the regular menu, he said the special was Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner, so we elected to wait on the Indian menu since we both love turkey and the fixings. 

After dinner we went to the Main Stafe and saw “Humanity” a dance show.  It was very good, especially the integration of the dancers with animation on the huge screens which surround the space and the projections on the stage floor. Two numbers made particularly good use of the space.  One was a solo number where the dancer was duplicated throughout the space and his choreography matched that of the projected. The other was a number where all the dancers had paint buckets of different colors and as they splashed paint around, it appeared on the walls and floor. 

Dining Room Issues: Service still tends to be haphazard. We sat for at least 15 minutes after our waiter poured water without menus. He came to take our order and only then realized we didn’t have the menu. While it hasn’t affected us directly, it appears that each waiter has to enter bar orders into a computer. There is a constant line at the computer station to enter these orders- perhaps having bar waiters would work better.  Or rather than using paper tickets for food, perhaps they could use the Pile of unused tablets sitting over on one side of the dining room. Perhaps their computerized ordering system didn’t work out?  I know the last few lines we have cruises on used devices the size of old iPhones. 

• Like 7