Formal night ??

Zeno

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I guessed wrong on when Formal nights would be and booked Specialty Dining for those 'incorrect' nights and so, went to MDR with Dockers and Short sleeve shirt on actual Formal Nights. 

I have seen worse  than Dockers and a shirt. That sound respectable to me.  It really does come down to the staff on a particular ship.  We argue here on CC all the time about dress codes, but when I sat next to the guy in his flannel shirt and denim overalls, I saw the dress code in a new light.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

"I'm not retired yet so, I always have a wife (I'm proud of) and a suit that fits "

Does that mean you will not have a wife when you retire?????

Minions GIF - Despicable Me Minions What - Discover & Share GIFs

after reading this and a lengthy discussion, she said she would keep me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night was the first Formal Night on our 15 Day Hawaii cruise on the Sapphire. We ate at the International Dining Room and I didn't see more than 5 men in the IDR wearing a tuxedo. Half the dining room did not have on a coat or a tie; no shorts though.

At the production show Bravo after dinner I'd say no more than 30% of the men wore suits, coats or ties. I did see more men in tuxedos at the Champagne Tower in the Piazza, but still a huge minority.

I think attitudes towards Formal Night are different, depending on the cruise destination, and Hawaii definitely lends itself towards more casual. I have not taken long pants on vacation to Maui or Kauai in 20 years probably. Oahu is the only place I wear long pants or a suit, but 90% of my Oahu trips are business trips.

I am not an advocate for any position. If Princess said shorts are okay in an MDR, that would be fine with me. When Princess requests dressing up on Formal Nights, I am okay with that too and comply as a level of respect for my fellow passengers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I think attitudes towards Formal Night are different, depending on the cruise destination, and Hawaii definitely lends itself towards more casual. I have not taken long pants on vacation to Maui or Kauai in 20 years probably. Oahu is the only place I wear long pants or a suit, but 90% of my Oahu trips are business trips.

I used to take a tux on every cruise and wore it on every formal night.  At some point, I realized that I was in the minority and sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb.  After a business suit, blazer and slacks, I'm going with the majority with "business casual".    Also, I heard that Aloha shirt and slacks (even khakis) were considered appropriate business wear in Hawaii.

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Also, I heard that Aloha shirt and slacks (even khakis) were considered appropriate business wear in Hawaii.

They are for local businessmen, but as a mainland businessman I would never show up to a client/prospect meeting in an Aloha shirt unless I asked the client/prospect first.

We will have 3 "formal" nights on our next cruise. I will probably wear a tux on one of the nights. The other 2 I will wear at least a coat and tie. The longer cruises, especially the TA's, in my opinion tend to dress up a bit more. Maybe that is because there are more Europeans, maybe it is because we tend to be  older.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

We will have 3 "formal" nights on our next cruise. I will probably wear a tux on one of the nights. The other 2 I will wear at least a coat and tie. The longer cruises, especially the TA's, in my opinion tend to dress up a bit more. Maybe that is because there are more Europeans, maybe it is because we tend to be  older.

Be comfortable with whatever your dress decision may be. 

• Like 1