Bits and Pieces on Grand’s final US voyage until 2023

cr8tiv1

34 minutes ago, milogurd said:

Where did you get that room diagram in post 15? Are the diagrams available for other ships?

I've had that diagram for a very long time.  Some engineer/architect type person decided that it was a fun thing to do while in a Window Suite.  I don't even have his/her name.  I think this is a unique piece of art.  Doubt there are any more like it.

Hint, Hint...great project for someone in the know.

• Like 2

Aloha @cr8tiv1 and Mahalo for your review 🙂 ,

I do have one question regarding suites on Grand as we will be enjoying one in Feb.

Do you have an ice bucket in cabin so you can have a drink inside your cabin?

We just completed our first cruise on Princess in a mini-suite and there was not a ice bucket in room (all other various cruise lines we sailed always had ice buckets for enjoying a Diet Coke in cabin). Yes, the was a small refrigerator in cabin but, no ice.

Cheers,

John

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Aloha @cr8tiv1 and Mahalo for your review 🙂 ,

I do have one question regarding suites on Grand as we will be enjoying one in Feb.

Do you have an ice bucket in cabin so you can have a drink inside your cabin?

We just completed our first cruise on Princess in a mini-suite and there was not a ice bucket in room (all other various cruise lines we sailed always had ice buckets for enjoying a Diet Coke in cabin). Yes, the was a small refrigerator in cabin but, no ice.

Cheers,

John

You should have asked your steward for an ice bucket. Now you know for next time...if it isn't there, ask.

• Like 2

And in a suite, the ice bucket is stainless steel vs plastic.  I also order a big bucket of ice from Room Service -- comes in a wine chiller.  Stewart keeps it refilled and/or re-order from room service as necessary, keeps the drinks colder.

• Like 2

The one time I needed ice in the afternoon, all that was left were a few pieces of ice floating in cold water.  I am guessing the ice bucket is refreshed during turn down service and left in the "cold box".

Plastic ice bucket?  

Still Day 1…almost over.

My two older sisters were supposed to join me for my March/April Sea of Cortez voyage.  After final payment, the other sister had a family health event.  Both sisters cancelled and I continued solo (thank you AON/Princess).  When I approached this sister with the chance to cruise again, she agreed, as long as I took care of everything.  She is 10 years older than I am, but in much better physical condition.  I make up with being an experienced cruiser, more organized, and tech savvy.

Now that we are on the ship, I can finally relax. The Medallion is doing its thing (positive).  The App is behaving very well.  Internet is sufficient for our needs.  I downloaded Ocean Concierge on all of our hand held devices.  It is a much better portal to view the Patter events.  I taught her how to login.com and logout.com to easily switch devices.  I am enjoying her first impressions.  She has a refreshing new perspective that we sometimes take for granted.

I purposely choose a 6:20 time for the Crown Grill.  We had enough time to catch our breath and change gears.  The joys of being on the Fiesta Deck is that everything we need is either one deck up or down.  I pointed out that she will always be able to view the Customer Service Deck from anywhere in the Piazza.  Then all she had to do was to look for our hallway to the right (starboard) of it.

We were greeted by George the Head Waiter and taken to a table rather than a booth, since we missed the first seating.  She was looking forward to the Chilean Sea Bass.  I just love their lamb chops.  Service was impeccable and the dishes perfecto.  I wanted her to savor the joys of being on a cruise ship so our dinner was at a very leisurely pace.  Neither of us particularly like comedians so opted to skip Phil Tag (7:30 and 9:30).

image.thumb.png.142b5398a735c51c5adf610d0fdf21ff.png

This bread is new to the Crown Grill.  Hot, crusty, and the center was filled with mozzarella cheese.  What’s not to like!

This was meant to introduce her to cruising in hopes that she might want to do more cruises with me.  My other sister is a lost cause.  Her loyalty is with Holland America.  I know, it isn’t fair to drop her into a suite and then scale down to a Plaza Ocean View for our next cruise to Japan (port intensive).  I love my Window Suites but don’t care for the location of full suites (and/or the cost).  I showed her how to read the Patter and I would do almost anything she wanted to experience.  So instead of the Princess Theater we tracked down Fortuna Luck for our free Bingo Card.  EFFY drew her in with a free raffle and charm.  We ended up attending 5 sessions (counted the charms) and received the bracelet without going to the shopping show.  I even won one of the raffles.  Who needs ANOTHER blue sapphire pendant?

image.thumb.jpeg.d1013cae3d5e36972744a1a3e8b459e7.jpeg

That was enough excitement for one day.  I didn’t request turn down service but Eric prepared our room with fresh towels, turned on the lights, and fluffed our pillows.  I could see that a chocolate or two went missing from the plate every day.  We retired to the room and watched the Grand traverse the San Juan islands on my Marine Traffic App.  One of her best friends from home lives on Pendar Island for part of the year.  She arrived into YVR the day before we embarked.  They “waved” at each other as we passed by.  Too bad darkness shadowed the views.  I was amazed how narrow the channels were and how many islands there really were.

I love Princess beds, pillows, and comforters.  I learned that twin beds have the fluffy comforters while the queen bed has a thinner blanket.  My sister remarked that the bed was difficult to get into because it was so soft.  By the next night, she had to tear apart her bed (untuck everything) to make it more cozy for her.  I like to sleep like a mummy.  More trivia.  Suite sheets are changed everyday (i normally amend that) while other cabins are every 3 -4 days. 

Lights Out….Good Night.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Try slumming once in a while. 🤣

Am lowering my standards for Japan then back to my Window Suites.  (Sarcasm @ Sheldon).  Sure wish there were more Grand/Golden/Caribbean on my side of the world.    The only "real" difference is Club Class dining, same day laundry, and breakfast.  

• Like 1

Day 2:  Pre-Arrival to Astoria (noon to 9 PM/all aboard at 8:30)

Sis got up on her own and decided she wanted to do Tai Chi in the Vista Lounge.  She had my blessings.  I gave her verbal directions:  up one flight of marble stairs, turn right/make a U turn, and walk away from the Customer Service Desk.  There is only one Piazza flight of stairs between decks.  There are carpeted steps near the elevator banks and the infamous stairs to nowhere on deck 7.  I told her I would meet her at 8:45 near the bar (Crooner’s).  Over breakfast, she shared her morning exercise.  It is a recorded video without any cruise staff to monitor.  On following sea days, it would be the same video.  She remarked that it included stretching and breathing exercises, but that a progressive “class” might be difficult for new attendees.

Suite breakfast at the Crown Grill is probably my most favorite perk.  I am a breakfast person who loves to wake up, dawdle, then eat a hearty breakfast.  On a 7 day cruise, there are only 5 days to get in everything I love.  George (Georg’ie) was very personable but did explain that he could only accommodate changes with what was on board.  For instance, crab would be canned, no thank you.  Avocado and salsa is always available.  He frequented the table often.  Yasa and Wayan were our servers.  By the second day, 2 lattes, no foam, one decaf would arrive shortly after we sat down.  We did not order mimosas.  That is way too early in the day to start filling my body with calories when there is so much more to look forward to.

I ordered watermelon slices with blueberries and she requested the melon plate.  Strangely, the melons were not cut properly any of the days.  The rind was cut too closely and there was that middle hard core on every slice that you had to carve off.  I had the poached eggs with roasted potatoes and crisp bacon.  Sis had lox and bagels.  The pastry tray was brought over.  Sis enjoyed sampling different items every day but her favorite was the chocolate crescent.

Princess does a really good job on their poached eggs.  Whites are cooked and yolk is soft, not runny.  All of their meats were spot on in the Crown Grill and MDR.  I like to eat my chops, prime rib, and steaks medium to medium rare.  I did not have any issues with gristle or untrimmed fat.

On tap for today was the Shore Excursion Presentation in the Princess Theater.  This was nothing but a reading/slide show of tours you could take at each port.  I was really disappointed that with 3.5 sea days, there was not a single enrichment lecture.  Princess missed the boat on this one.   I purposely did not plan any excursions at any of the ports.

While my sister attended the Acupuncture - A Life Changing Introduction” at the Wheelhouse Bar, I snuck away to see what the Cruise Direct Staff Arts and Crafts of the day" was at Sabatini’s.  It would be repeated in the afternoon.  Today:  Adult Coloring.  On another day it was Origami.  And the third one was making snowflakes.  Pretty lame to me.

We attended the snowflake one, but left about half way through for some other event. There were two demonstrators.  Obviously this must have been their first time paired.  The “assistant” was going from table to table telling us the wrong instructions as the lead demonstrated what we should be doing.  My snowflake is still folded and will probably remain unfinished.

Moved right along next door to the Explorer’s Lounge to sample the “Enrichment Seminar - Get Smart about Art”.   So we “registered” just in time to pick up our free gift of the day.  On following days, it was much more difficult since registration was just before lunch with the auction around 1:00.  We would register, pick up our bidding paddle, and go to lunch.  Gee:  Activity or Lunch?  We were given the same paddle number each day.  There was a little bit of art history.  A little bit about becoming an art collector.  A little bit about types of canvases.  And a lot of Peter Max stuff (not my favorite).  We did visit the art gallery on Plaza Deck (5) a few times while dropping in at the International Cafe.   

My sister’s son has his degree in the fine arts but became a flight attendant to support his craft.  That turned into a full time career.  He has taken her all over the world to see art in real time.   You guessed it, the “free” print/lithograph guaranteed to draw her back again and again and again.  Sis attended the last Auction while I started packing on our last sea day.  She did not think of bringing back the fourth gift for me.

image.thumb.png.c21cbf87f6621646b6aa09051976b326.png

While we were out of the room in the morning, room service delivered my 2 modified mini-bars: one for being in a suite and the other for being elite.  In addition, we were given two bottles of water every morning.  Our ice bucket was filled and left in the refrigerator during the evening’s turn down service.  Didn’t understand why not in the morning.  Maybe because Eric has much more to do.  More information:  Window Suite stewards are also assigned a second deck of rooms.  Sometimes it is other suites.  Other times it has been on Plaza Deck.  It all depends how full the ship is.

Regarding San Pellegrino:  Room Service called to let me know they could not fill all of my San Pellegrino order and would have to add some Perrier instead.  I told them that would be fine.  It was very interesting to find out later that not all venues had San Pellegrino.  My jr. waiter ended up going to Good Spirits to get us some.  I told him that it really wasn’t necessary and the any sparkling water would be fine for lunch and/or dinner.

image.thumb.png.20e1732b33574d70020ea2d9d0b0f9a4.png

This information is for new cruisers.  I upgraded to a Princess Plus Beverage Package when it was at $40.  The difference in price was worth the convenience of not having to worry about stopping by the bar or ordering a beverage while dining.  I am not so sure I would do it at $50 a day on a port intensive cruise.  One mini-bar in a regular cabin should be sufficient.  Crunching the numbers for an Ocean View cabin:  Crew Appreciation/$14.50 plus Wifi/$5 = $19.50 leaving me $30.50 per day for drinks I would not use.  I will have enough On Board Credit (obc) for the occasional glass of wine I would have with dinner.

Today’s introduction tour was the International Cafe for my Peanut Butter cookies.  Mila was there to offer her assistance.  She went in the back to retrieve the tasty delights and placed them in a new portable oven on the counter to warm them up/make them crispier (it replaced the Panini Grill).  She was given my business a few more times during the cruise.

On a different night run to pick up chamomile tea, I ran across Karan.  We chatted and he asked me if I needed Peanut Butter cookies.  We became very good friends on my last cruise.  Unfortunately, I did not see him earlier because he was assigned the night shift now that the IC was open 24/7.  He told me that he had to bake some cookies and to return in 30 minutes.  I guess they don’t have them ready to go all the time. That was news to me as I watched him place a few cookie disks in the huge oven.  Friday would be his last night.  He was going home from San Diego.  Of course, I had to pay him a final visit and wish him a safe journey home.  But he was not there at 9 PM.  His friend said he was having his hair cut but to return a little later.  I brought him a small token of my gratitude:  a ziplock bag of travel treats for the long plane ride home and some cash.

My apologies if I sometimes combine bits of and pieces, here and there.  Can you see why it was so difficult for me to be a math teacher?  I had to force myself to be very linear when focusing on my lessons.  It was a perspective that actually helped in my teaching style.  I can so easily be distracted.

I marvel at those posters who can do a live thread.  This is my first post cruise review.  I didn’t realize I had so much to share.  I am having the time of my life reliving this cruise.  I "may" not have as much to write about once we get the preliminaries out of the way..  Thank you to everyone who is following and contributing to this thread.  A special shout out to my friends who have been so supportive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Day 2:  Pre-Arrival to Astoria (noon to 9 PM/all aboard at 8:30)

Sis got up on her own and decided she wanted to do Tai Chi in the Vista Lounge.  She had my blessings.  I gave her verbal directions:  up one flight of marble stairs, turn right/make a U turn, and walk away from the Customer Service Desk.  There is only one Piazza flight of stairs between decks.  There are carpeted steps near the elevator banks and the infamous stairs to nowhere on deck 7.  I told her I would meet her at 8:45 near the bar (Crooner’s).  Over breakfast, she shared her morning exercise.  It is a recorded video without any cruise staff to monitor.  On following sea days, it would be the same video.  She remarked that it included stretching and breathing exercises, but that a progressive “class” might be difficult for new attendees.

Suite breakfast at the Crown Grill is probably my most favorite perk.  I am a breakfast person who loves to wake up, dawdle, then eat a hearty breakfast.  On a 7 day cruise, there are only 5 days to get in everything I love.  George (Georg’ie) was very personable but did explain that he could only accommodate changes with what was on board.  For instance, crab would be canned, no thank you.  Avocado and salsa is always available.  He frequented the table often.  Yasa and Wayan were our servers.  By the second day, 2 lattes, no foam, one decaf would arrive shortly after we sat down.  We did not order mimosas.  That is way too early in the day to start filling my body with calories when there is so much more to look forward to.

I ordered watermelon slices with blueberries and she requested the melon plate.  Strangely, the melons were not cut properly any of the days.  The rind was cut too closely and there was that middle hard core on every slice that you had to carve off.  I had the poached eggs with roasted potatoes and crisp bacon.  Sis had lox and bagels.  The pastry tray was brought over.  Sis enjoyed sampling different items every day but her favorite was the chocolate crescent.

Princess does a really good job on their poached eggs.  Whites are cooked and yolk is soft, not runny.  All of their meats were spot on in the Crown Grill and MDR.  I like to eat my chops, prime rib, and steaks medium to medium rare.  I did not have any issues with gristle or untrimmed fat.

On tap for today was the Shore Excursion Presentation in the Princess Theater.  This was nothing but a reading/slide show of tours you could take at each port.  I was really disappointed that with 3.5 sea days, there was not a single enrichment lecture.  Princess missed the boat on this one.   I purposely did not plan any excursions at any of the ports.

While my sister attended the Acupuncture - A Life Changing Introduction” at the Wheelhouse Bar, I snuck away to see what the Cruise Direct Staff Arts and Crafts of the day" was at Sabatini’s.  It would be repeated in the afternoon.  Today:  Adult Coloring.  On another day it was Origami.  And the third one was making snowflakes.  Pretty lame to me.

We attended the snowflake one, but left about half way through for some other event. There were two demonstrators.  Obviously this must have been their first time paired.  The “assistant” was going from table to table telling us the wrong instructions as the lead demonstrated what we should be doing.  My snowflake is still folded and will probably remain unfinished.

Moved right along next door to the Explorer’s Lounge to sample the “Enrichment Seminar - Get Smart about Art”.   So we “registered” just in time to pick up our free gift of the day.  On following days, it was much more difficult since registration was just before lunch with the auction around 1:00.  We would register, pick up our bidding paddle, and go to lunch.  Gee:  Activity or Lunch?  We were given the same paddle number each day.  There was a little bit of art history.  A little bit about becoming an art collector.  A little bit about types of canvases.  And a lot of Peter Max stuff (not my favorite).  We did visit the art gallery on Plaza Deck (5) a few times while dropping in at the International Cafe.   

My sister’s son has his degree in the fine arts but became a flight attendant to support his craft.  That turned into a full time career.  He has taken her all over the world to see art in real time.   You guessed it, the “free” print/lithograph guaranteed to draw her back again and again and again.  Sis attended the last Auction while I started packing on our last sea day.  She did not think of bringing back the fourth gift for me.

image.thumb.png.c21cbf87f6621646b6aa09051976b326.png

While we were out of the room in the morning, room service delivered my 2 modified mini-bars: one for being in a suite and the other for being elite.  In addition, we were given two bottles of water every morning.  Our ice bucket was filled and left in the refrigerator during the evening’s turn down service.  Didn’t understand why not in the morning.  Maybe because Eric has much more to do.  More information:  Window Suite stewards are also assigned a second deck of rooms.  Sometimes it is other suites.  Other times it has been on Plaza Deck.  It all depends how full the ship is.

Regarding San Pellegrino:  Room Service called to let me know they could not fill all of my San Pellegrino order and would have to add some Perrier instead.  I told them that would be fine.  It was very interesting to find out later that not all venues had San Pellegrino.  My jr. waiter ended up going to Good Spirits to get us some.  I told him that it really wasn’t necessary and the any sparkling water would be fine for lunch and/or dinner.

image.thumb.png.20e1732b33574d70020ea2d9d0b0f9a4.png

This information is for new cruisers.  I upgraded to a Princess Plus Beverage Package when it was at $40.  The difference in price was worth the convenience of not having to worry about stopping by the bar or ordering a beverage while dining.  I am not so sure I would do it at $50 a day on a port intensive cruise.  One mini-bar in a regular cabin should be sufficient.  Crunching the numbers for an Ocean View cabin:  Crew Appreciation/$14.50 plus Wifi/$5 = $19.50 leaving me $30.50 per day for drinks I would not use.  I will have enough On Board Credit (obc) for the occasional glass of wine I would have with dinner.

Today’s introduction tour was the International Cafe for my Peanut Butter cookies.  Mila was there to offer her assistance.  She went in the back to retrieve the tasty delights and placed them in a new portable oven on the counter to warm them up/make them crispier (it replaced the Panini Grill).  She was given my business a few more times during the cruise.

On a different night run to pick up chamomile tea, I ran across Karan.  We chatted and he asked me if I needed Peanut Butter cookies.  We became very good friends on my last cruise.  Unfortunately, I did not see him earlier because he was assigned the night shift now that the IC was open 24/7.  He told me that he had to bake some cookies and to return in 30 minutes.  I guess they don’t have them ready to go all the time. That was news to me as I watched him place a few cookie disks in the huge oven.  Friday would be his last night.  He was going home from San Diego.  Of course, I had to pay him a final visit and wish him a safe journey home.  But he was not there at 9 PM.  His friend said he was having his hair cut but to return a little later.  I brought him a small token of my gratitude:  a ziplock bag of travel treats for the long plane ride home and some cash.

My apologies if I sometimes combine bits of and pieces, here and there.  Can you see why it was so difficult for me to be a math teacher?  I had to force myself to be very linear when focusing on my lessons.  It was a perspective that actually helped in my teaching style.  I can so easily be distracted.

I marvel at those posters who can do a live thread.  This is my first post cruise review.  I didn’t realize I had so much to share.  I am having the time of my life reliving this cruise.  I "may" not have as much to write about once we get the preliminaries out of the way..  Thank you to everyone who is following and contributing to this thread.  A special shout out to my friends who have been so supportive.

thank you for sharing your cruise,..loving all the details you are sharing!!

I am glad to hear they are replacing the panini presses with the ovens...I thought the heated sandwiches in January were much better from the oven on the Majestic than the panini press on the Grand

I am loving having a 'window' into life in a Window Suite, have friends who love them but never knew why...I hope you can convince your sister to cruise with you more...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

By the second day, 2 lattes, no foam, one decaf would arrive shortly after we sat down.  We had a different experience...5 days, always had to order coffee/tea. Always asked for the same coffee/tea. 

Princess does a really good job on their poached eggs.  Whites are cooked and yolk is soft, not runny.  

You got lucky. I don't think it's "Princess" that is good at eggs. I've had runny, half raw (at least to me) poached eggs on many Princess ships. I've learned to ask for medium well eggs of all types, otherwise they way too undercooked for my taste.

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You got lucky. I don't think it's "Princess" that is good at eggs. I've had runny, half raw (at least to me) poached eggs on many Princess ships. I've learned to ask for medium well eggs of all types, otherwise they way too undercooked for my taste.

My experiences at the suite breakfast have always been the same.  There is a coffee person behind the counter and he starts making my coffee when I walk past him.  These "guys" are the best of the best.  I am sorry that your suite experience (overall) was less than stellar.  My regular cabin mate feels the same way.  She doesn't care to do the suite breakfast and instead goes to the MDR.  

• Like 1

Day 2:  Astoria from noon to 9 PM

Lunch was served in the MDR since it was a late arrival.  Don’t ask what I’ve eaten.  I rarely remember what day it is unless I look at a calendar.  All in all, food quality has been good.  But then again, my meals do not include a lot of flavor.  Sauces are usually served on the side, no/little salt, and even the presentation is different.  Skipping ahead to what was pre-ordered for dinner, I can tell that I opted for Fettuccine Alfredo.  Assistant Manager (aka Head Waiter interchangeable since I take a long time to get it in my head) offered me a cheese basket.  Of course, I happily accepted.  My sister was not thrilled about the menu and leg of lamb.  He offered her lamb chops instead.  I believe the special was some kind of meat.  I accepted a second dish.  Caesar salad was that strange one with Kale.  That green Asian vegetable that the chef calls bok choy (white cabbage in Chinese) is actually Shanghai Cabbage according to my sister.  Ramil offered it every night to my sister, sautéed with garlic.  It was a nice alternative but she also requested cauliflower (one vegetable I do not eat).

The morning was very wet and “looked” cold.  By afternoon, the weather improved.  I was prepared for rain for each port.  Never happened.  Suites do include those huge umbrellas but I brought along my smaller travel ones.  Not needed once.

image.thumb.png.641ee8ebe19bc78060f48673fefa07e1.png

Although the website said the trolley wasn't in operation,  it WAS working, but it was further out and did not go all the way into town because of some damage to the tracks.  The Historical Society was very friendly and offered all of kinds of advice.  We opted to take their bus into town.  One stop was on 10th Street, then on to the Boat Museum, before returning to the ship.  We just missed a bus and boarded the next.  During our 20 minute wait, a member boarded and began to share a wealth of information.  He provided a narrated tour all the way into town.  He apologized for the rate raise to $15.   They were having difficulties finding drivers.  In fact, our driver came from an hour outside of town to drive for them.

image.thumb.png.746eb53c890ce18e183a76d41fc94952.png

We opted to ride the bus all the way to the Museum to check out the gift shop.  By now, it was getting late and I didn’t think we had enough time to do the museum and accomplish our goal for   the day.  We started our walk back along the riverfront.  Nothing really exciting, but do love the small town vibe.  I’ve been to this area on several RV trips and did not need to be a tourist.  Same for sister since her son lived (and is moving back) to Oregon.  Her contribution today is to avoid picking wild berries below your waist.  

We were on a quest:  to find some white wine from the Willamette Valley.  On a side hunt, she was looking for a small plier like water bottle cap “unscrewer”.  The later was found after our cruise a couple of miles from my house.  The Historical Society recommended three shops.  2 were closed.  We lucked out on the third one.  The WineKraft Wine Bar owner was so helpful.  Offered us a couple of pours AND a 20% discount per bottle.  Sis ended up buying 3:  Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, and I think a Chardonnay.

156282004_capopener.thumb.jpg.5a10e8f0194e3158dcc6e56d620f6f42.jpg

My worries for buying wine in Oregon, carrying them back to the ship, and then taking them off in San Francisco were all for not.  Sent them through security scanner and walked back to the room.  No questions, no one cared.

It was a leisurely day in Astoria wandering in and out of the small shops along the main street.  We arrived a few minutes before the bus picked us up at 6th and Commercial Streets.  I had a few moments to chat with the members regarding how I appreciated them setting up this for visitors.  They were so informative and friendly.  We must have spent a good 3 to 4 hours meandering through the town.

Dinner was enjoyable.  Absolute no/little wait if you arrived between 6:15-6:30.  The first wave is just clearing out.  I was able to be seated in Francisco’s section for every meal.  Maybe not by a window, sometimes not at “my” table, but always with Francisco.  If there was no table available in his section, Ramil set me up in the overflow section and Francisco would come over to make sure he served me.  There was this random waiter Jesse that I’m sure I should have remembered.  He would stop by to chat.  He would see if there was anything I needed.  Never figured him out.  This is probably the thing I will miss most when I “return” to the Main Dining Room on my next cruise.

After dinner, we checked out the Massage Tester on the Spa Deck and a brief tour of the spa area/pool.  10 minutes of bliss.  My therapist introduced me to hot rocks.  And then it was over.  Not enough to really get me to shell out the big bucks for a massage that I get for “free” at home once or twice a week.  Again, an introduction to cruising for my sister. 

We attended the “Yes and No Game” in the Explorer’s Lounge.  It was fun, but I have seen better engagement with other cruise directors.  We left about halfway through to attend the “Tribute to Elton John”.   Jeffrey Allen.was the headliner in the Princess Theater.  He was good but I am not a big Elton John fan.  Once would be enough.  He did return another night and we did not attend.

Princess Theater was never really full for the 9:30 show.  Here is my soapbox rant.  I have a special section in the theater that I go early enough to get a seat.  I don’t mind others sharing this space with me.  But to come in a minute before the show starts, sit down in front of me without a mask when one is required, is not right.  This happened more than once.  The second time, the maskless person was coughing.  We chose to get up and move.

My other rant is why do passengers go to an entertainment venues and then talk/converse throughout the performance?  This is rude and really shows that someone is not cultured or well mannered.  This happened in the Princess Theater AND the Vista Lounge.  One was right behind me.  The other was loud enough that I could hear them 10 feet away.  Yes, I am a theater snob.  This happens at theaters on land too.  I don’t understand why people can’t sit and be quiet for 30 minutes.

I did meet an Australian couple on the last night of the cruise.  They were there first, seated, and masked.  I joined them and introduced myself by mentioning that I appreciated that they wore masks.  They had come from the 12 day Alaska round trip from Vancouver, on this leg, before taking the ship back to Australia.  She had mentioned that the Captain announced that there were 125 cases on board on the previous cruise.  Some passengers were taken off the ship in Vancouver.  Others were in quarantine since they would be going to Australia.  Like minds who didn’t understand why people were not wearing masks when the letters in our cabin on embarkation day required masking in indoor spaces.

Sometime in between events, I looked out from my window.  It was dark outside and must have been a potty break before going to the theater (love this reason for being in a Window Suite).  It was dark.  I saw a taxi drive up, but it didn’t seem to be a passenger.  The gangway was retracted and we were getting ready to leave.  There were no late runners at any of our ports.  Disappointed!

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:51 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Love it!! Where did you find it?

Daiso is a Japanese store.  It used to be comparable with America's 99 cent or dollar stores.  You know how that goes.  Most prices are now up to $1.75 per item MIXED with higher priced items.  You really have to be careful and look for the corresponding price.  

Wednesday:  First Sea Day

I requested a complimentary birthday special for my sister.  Our birthdays are in the same month, 10 years apart.  My two brothers are in the same month, 10 years apart.  Then there is that HAL sister who is randomly in between (haha).

image.thumb.jpeg.96b2da512a41103fbfe3c72bb6141d24.jpeg

image.thumb.png.081e84259dd3e5083dbbf1d5307ab6f2.png

I stopped by the Loyalty and Events Officer’s office on the way to breakfast this morning.  She was less than happy to give me these numbers.  I was not planning on being crammed into the Vista Lounge to hear them announce these numbers or give a mini-advertisement for the new Sun Princess.

Total passengers on the Grand:  1232 out of 2600 capacity with 1150 crew

Blue:  338

Gold:  220

Ruby:  154

Platinum:  283

Elite:  237

Most Traveled Luncheon:  421 days (I will never be invited to one of these).

image.thumb.png.079c0a62b2217ffc1333ed569b92946a.png

Sis went to Tai Chi.  On the way to breakfast, I showed her the table by Leaves Tea & Library that had Sudoku and other printed games.  Our morning included a brief run through all of the shops since none have really been open during normal waking hours.  I really miss the $10 rummage sale in the MDR.  I miss the tables on Deck 7 that captures everyone’s attention as you try to walk past the crowds.  Instead, there are a few counters in the Calypso Shop with some marked down/end of season items.  Even with the 10% off the regular priced items did not entice me into a shopping frenzy.  I bought one Stanley Bear Alaska t-shirt for my grandson for $4 and change.  That was the extent of my shopping spree this cruise.  She bought nothing.

Our big event of the day was BINGO with Fortuna Luck.  Oh, that was a painful hour.  Your free ticket is only good for the blackout last round.  They will draw 25 balls (card only has 24 squares).  If no one wins, black out is continued on the next BINGO day.  I was preparing to leave when someone told me to stay.  They would do one more “game” worth $200.  Sis likes BINGO.  For me, it’s like pulling teeth.  We did not return to any more BINGO games.  By the way, the Vista Lounge Bar has a few golf type pencils for non-diehard folks like me.

Of course thee was the mandatory registration for the Art Auction, lunch and go back to pick up our print.  New is the Pandora raffle.  Yup, we were there.  Someone from the store mentioned that it would be quick and dirty since there was a wedding to attend.  I saw the decorations going up in the Piazza and thought it was strange that the couple didn’t get married in the chapel.

It turned out to be officers:  Kimberly Shay Shannon (Guest Service Supervisor) and Callie Smit (Entertainment Director).  So we plopped ourselves down at a table in Vines and I enjoyed a glass of Gewurztraminer.  The crowd grew.  Officers in formal attire showed up everywhere.  It was supposed to begin at 3.  Around 3:20 the bride descended the marble staircase to the theme from Star Wars.  That wasn’t as strange as the groom with his blinking colored bowtie.

image.thumb.png.8f1373817e8183c45cd9a6ae5e705f6d.png

By this time, it was getting really close to the end of tea time.  Hurried over before they closed the doors at 3:23.  Sat down and was served a cold scone.  Got my hot water but never the lemon slices.  Oh well, that was the one and only time we made it to tea.

Formal Night.

Wore my “little black dress” that is really comfortable.  I have these wonderful shear overlays that take up so little room when I travel.  Menu on the first formal night was Prime Rib.  Huge slice, perfectly cooked, about a half inch thick.  Stuffed but always room for a bite of dessert.  Tonight they served my sister’s square dark chocolate birthday cake.

With anytime dining, I have missed every Champagne Waterfall event since the restart.  It was listed in the patter from 6:30 to 7:15.  Sis was not too excited about this event either.  It’s another photo op.  Skipped all of the photograph events.  Don't miss the crowds, but miss the lollipop cakes.

When I go “home” to Honolulu, I sometimes play tourist with my friends to places they don’t frequent often.  My sister’s novice standing wanted to see what “Queen’s Sea Poker Demonstration” was all about.  I’ve never done this.  In fact, never even heard about Pirate Queen.  We were given free chips and invited to play her version of poker.  I can’t explain it without going into a dissertation.  But it did draw an audience.  We played for about 20 minutes before giving our winnings to other guests.  If you look hard enough, you may find something that only a newbie will spot.

Looking back at the Patter, I didn’t realize how many events we did go to and the many more we really missed.  We missed the pre-show for Stardust: the 50’s and 60’s Music Trivia followed by Rock and Roll night in the Explorer’s Lounge.  I prefer to get a good seat in the Theater for Stardust.  After Stardust, we stopped at the Piazza to watch Dave Rave, the juggler.  After his short 15 minute show, I stopped to chat with him.  He was a local boy from Hilo (Puna/Pahoa) who later moved to Japan.  While in the Piazza, I will use my app to order water or tea since both are convenient for the runners.  It worked.

We called it a night

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 7

Anybody still around?  Sorry for the break between the reports.  It was a busy weekend.  

Day 4:  San Francisco. (7 AM to 10 PM)

We had a very leisurely breakfast although the Crown Grill closed at 9:30 AM.  Chatted with George about the Chef’s Table.  He said it is very popular and this cruise had it scheduled twice.  His advice was to book it as soon as you get onboard.  I don’t drink and so have never attended one.  Did watch the parade of dishes once while dining at the Crown Grill.  That was interesting.  I asked him if he could duplicate James Beard French Toast for me.  He would check into it with his chef.

There was not much scheduled for this port day.  It looked cold outside.  After breakfast we went out on the Promenade Deck.  By the time we left the ship, the weather was warm and beautiful.

image.thumb.png.ca55946a4feb3294a94b4d0739af2224.png

We returned to the cabin to take care of an assortment of “business” since my sister’s daughter was tied up with a conference call until 1:30.  My niece is a Captain in the San Francisco Fire Department.  I’ve always been really proud of this (not so young anymore) kid.  My sister has been trying to read a book.  Neither of us ever got past the title page.  She wanted help with her iPhone, iMessaging, and computer photos.  Happy to say that most of that was successfully completed.

image.thumb.png.45574c7300d99ad72764d229a1506500.png

We enjoyed lunch at a dim sum restaurant near the port.  San Francisco is definitely a progressive city.  I was impressed that they had an “All Gender Bathroom” that also had handicap stalls.  Women don’t have to wait in long lines, although today, the office building was empty.  Guys will never understand this.  It was very clean and I felt very safe.

image.thumb.png.2f66279a4e004a5c3e41b6ebf32bda34.png

Then the shopping began.  I had ordered beef jerky from Jackson Market.  It has been a place that I’ve gotten beef jerky for more than half a century.  It’s a small shop at the top of some hill on Jackson Street.  I was in contact with an employee.  After placing my order, he said that I could pick it up at the Ferry Building Village Market, just blocks from the terminal.  This stuff is delicious, but the prices have really skyrocketed.  Such service.  “Bob” told me he was made my jerky the night before to assure freshness.

On to Molinari Delicatessen to pick up (5) “salame”.  It is very near the Columbus salami place, but this one is better.  Eastern Bakery, Jackson Market, and Molinari both “recommended” cash to avoid a credit card fee.  Coffee pick up was next (unknown not a chain).

image.thumb.png.027b6b90848600959f8ab50061de8689.png

We parked ourselves at a new beautiful park overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge.  My niece was trying to tell me that this park just opened.  It has something to do with the open green space being built above the tunnel access near the bridge ????

image.thumb.png.490bf6fd059033adba2d6bc69793a070.png

We were dropped off in time for dinner (not memorable) and an early show at the Princess Theater.  Marty Thomas was the singer.  He was more in line with our interest including music from Broadway tunes and the Great American Songbook.  I really enjoyed his performance.  We were hoping there would be lots of passengers enjoying the city at night.  “My” favorite seats were occupied so we looked for another area that was in the less desirable real estate.

We were in our cabin before sail away.  The Bay Bridge (between San Francisco and Oakland) was lit up a couple of years ago.  It was so popular, they decided to make it permanent.  I cropped out the multitude of seagulls sitting in the cold water outside my window.

image.thumb.png.7683e0e251e8693d38a8ac4fe684ec46.png

We enjoyed visiting with family in San Francisco.  Some of you may be wondering why I chose to do this repositioning cruise if I have been there/done that before.  For me, cruising is rarely the destinations.  I love the concept of cruising where you unpack and do as much/as little as you want to do.  I love Vancouver and all of the ports we stopped at.  This was the perfect cruise to introduce my sister to Princess.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Chatted with George about the Chef’s Table.  He said it is very popular and this cruise had it scheduled twice.  His advice was to book it as soon as you get onboard.  I don’t drink and so have never attended one.  

You don't have to drink. Chef's Table costs less (IIRC $15 less) without the wine. We don't drink and enjoyed it immensely. There are non-alcoholic drinks provided, so you won't be thirsty.🥰

5 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You don't have to drink. Chef's Table costs less (IIRC $15 less) without the wine. We don't drink and enjoyed it immensely. There are non-alcoholic drinks provided, so you won't be thirsty.🥰

Good way to spend OBC.  Thanks for the information.  

• Like 1

Second Sea Day:  Day 5 / Formal Night

Without hesitations, sister woke up and went to Tai Chi.  I think we are finally settling into life on a cruise ship.  We met for breakfast.

Mandatory events today were EFFY Auction Preview/free charm, Art Auction registration/free print, but did miss the Time Traveler Watch Seminar.  Anish was moved from the Calypso Shop on my March/April cruise to this store.  He did mention that he thought he remembered me.  I filled in the guess the jewels in the expensive watch, but wasn’t present to find out that I lost.

We spent a few passing minutes in the casino, but there was still a sea day after San Diego to cash out, so it was a brief visit.  Sister loaded her remaining $25 obc.  I can’t find my notes that we loaded the first $50 of her OBC to her casino account on the first sea day.  The casino does have a small section of slots machines in a no smoking area (along with table games).  Princess used to have “no smoking on formal nights”.  This is gone post pandemic.

I have not spent as much time in the casino as I have in the past.  Part of the reason is for the late ports.  It took a long time to open the casino after it left Vancouver.  The long trek through the San Juan Islands meant the casino would not open until after 10 PM.  Then we were approaching Astoria by noon.  Casino was already being shut down.  San Francisco and San Diego would be long stays and the casino would not open until well after we left those ports at 10 PM.

There wasn’t much that interested us today.  We just wandered and enjoyed the ship.  Sis did mention that she enjoyed the brief musical performances in the Piazza.  We never stayed and actively listened.  It was more of a stop for a minute to hear the violinist, pianist, or other instrumentalist.  We spent some time on the Promenade Deck watching the world/ocean go by.  The aft section was closed on at least 2 occasions.  I am not sure if that was for maintenance or crew smoking.  My room steward said that there were other open areas of the ship that crew could smoke, but not being a smoker, he didn't know if this was actually happening.

Lunch was light.  I had pre-ordered guacamole, salsa, and chips.  Princess does not know how to do small.  All I wanted was a small cup of each.  Instead, it was presented in cereal bowls.  Sister wanted a Waldorf salad.  I don’t know what she was served, but it was soon changed out.  Decided that today would be my banana split day.  Got to trade off calories one way or the other.  Ice cream is only served at lunch.  Gelato is served at dinner.

I had ordered canopies the night before.  Since it was going to be formal night, I requested 4 profiteroles but added chocolate covered strawberries, if they had any at no additional cost.  If I had known, I would not have quantified the profiteroles.  They included 2 (4 + 2) strawberries.  That was fine with me.  I don’t eat strawberries and sis enjoyed them both.  When the canopies were delivered, I offered chocolates (and a tip) to the runner.  She gently took one until I told her she could have more than one.  She took one of each.  They are so polite.

Dinner was escargot and lobster.  We were each served two (that’s how they came on the dinner plate).  Love having someone remove the meat from the shell.  More impressed with that than the lobster itself.  Creme Brûlée for dessert.  I do have my favorites although I missed my tiramisu while we were in San Diego (tomorrow).

Purposely skipped “Sweet Soul Music” but did catch another Dave Rave Juggling Performance in the Piazza.

Here’s my good deed of the evening.  I was picking up my freshly baked cookies from Karan at the International Cafe when two women came up behind me.  I mentioned that I was there to get my Peanut Butter Cookies…still warm.  They had not known of this option and was delighted to also request “my” cookies.  The IC does display the other cookies.  I feel that Peanut Butter cookies are a well guarded secret like the hidden doors on the Coral Princess.

With fresh cookies and tea in hand, I returned to our stateroom for a nightcap.  More helpful information:  Be sure to bring a container to store your cookies in.  I am a hunter and gatherer.  Not all of these cookies were consumed onboard.  I am savoring a treat now and then to remind me of my cruises.  I go to sleep with a smile on my face when I am home.  My air fryer does a good job of refreshing my frozen cookies.

• Like 3