Finally trying the Grills

MylesS

After 13 voyages on Cunard starting as a child and carrying into adulthood, I'm finally trying out Queens Grill on Queen Mary 2 next year.

I've opted for a shorter trip to experience The Grills for the first time, as I was a little hesitant when it came to dining. I often travel solo, and having a 6 or 8 person table in the Britannia restaurant has helped me meet people.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on what I should try to take the most advantage of, or something that will improve the experience more? (Not that I think it does need anymore improving) 

Many thanks, very much looking forward to my trip!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MylesS said:

After 13 voyages on Cunard starting as a child and carrying into adulthood, I'm finally trying out Queens Grill on Queen Mary 2 next year.

I've opted for a shorter trip to experience The Grills for the first time, as I was a little hesitant when it came to dining. I often travel solo, and having a 6 or 8 person table in the Britannia restaurant has helped me meet people.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on what I should try to take the most advantage of, or something that will improve the experience more? (Not that I think it does need anymore improving) 

There should be tables for 6 or 8 in the Grills.

• Like 2

I would recommend the cheese trolley, if you can - and definitely enquire whether flambé desserts are available. I did a two-night crossing to Hamburg earlier this year on the QM2 and the Crepes Suzette was exquisite. It’s an ‘off menu’ item but very commonly requested I believe. And the waiting staff were very happy to fire up the table-side burners with a bit of notice!

The hot tub on the Grills Deck is also worth attempting for the view, if nothing else, but I must confess in February it was a brief attempt on my part! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonem2001 said:

I would recommend the cheese trolley, if you can - and definitely enquire whether flambé desserts are available. I did a two-night crossing to Hamburg earlier this year on the QM2 and the Crepes Suzette was exquisite. It’s an ‘off menu’ item but very commonly requested I believe. And the waiting staff were very happy to fire up the table-side burners with a bit of notice!

The hot tub on the Grills Deck is also worth attempting for the view, if nothing else, but I must confess in February it was a brief attempt on my part! 

Crepes Suzette is well worth requesting- it’s often on the menu anyway, but if you order it as a special request on an alternate night you tend to get a more generous portion!  Same applies if you order Caviar on nights it’s not included on the menu.

Cherries Jubilee is another good dessert to put a special request in for.

I was underwhelmed by the cheese trolley in QG - it was identical to the one in BC and lacked any interesting choices.

8 hours ago, Se1lad said:

Crepes Suzette is well worth requesting- it’s often on the menu anyway, but if you order it as a special request on an alternate night you tend to get a more generous portion!  Same applies if you order Caviar on nights it’s not included on the menu.

Cherries Jubilee is another good dessert to put a special request in for.

I was underwhelmed by the cheese trolley in QG - it was identical to the one in BC and lacked any interesting choices.

Cheese trolley is definitely hit and miss.

I've had [or didn't as it turns out]  Cambozola which almost needed carving and yet at the same time, Munster which was ready to run off to sea. Munster 5 Cambozola 0.

I always ask for the soft ones to be knife pressed now to see how ripe they are but if not ready, they shouldn't be offered.

I notice the Stilton is now crumbled, or was on QV, in a bowl. Much easier and quicker to serve and  always a good stand by for me if nothing else appeals.

Edited by Victoria2
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Cheese trolley is definitely hit and miss.

I've had [or didn't as it turns out]  Cambozola which almost needed carving and yet at the same time, Munster which was ready to run off to sea. Munster 5 Cambozola 0.

I always ask for the soft ones to be knife pressed now to see how ripe they are but if not ready, they shouldn't be offered.

I notice the Stilton is now crumbled, or was on QV, in a bowl. Much easier and quicker to serve and  always a good stand by for me if nothing else appeals.

I’ve never seen anything interesting on the cheese trolley - the Munster sounds great though!  I’ll try again in November!  

How long ago did you have the Munster on the trolley?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

Excellent - I was worried you were going to say six years ago!

Always worth asking if there's nothing you fancy.

I've had Camembert sent up from the Britannia galley with the rider not to bother if it's not mature.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MylesS said:

28 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

I’ve never seen anything interesting on the cheese trolley - the Munster sounds great though!  I’ll try again in November!  

How long ago did you have the Munster on the trolley?

I very rarely have the cheese, because of fullness and because the cheese trolley is not what it was. But I did try it once in the spring, and it did have two cheeses I hadn’t heard of, which I suppose would count as interesting?

58 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I saw one large table in August where normally, I would have seen three. Admittedly, my line of sight didn't stretch to past the kitchen door. By next year, there might be less demand for two tops although our first trip next year will be a two top. 

I would hope solo passengers would get first dibs on any large table.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

There certainly are and there's some wonderfully interesting company to be had there sometimes including the guest speakers. I tend to travel solo and always request to join a large table for 8. I will be on-board again next February for the first time since covid so can report back on the state of play with the large group tables then. These tables tend to be made up of singles, couples and friends travelling toegther who are sociable enough to want to have dinner companions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

There certainly are and there's some wonderfully interesting company to be had there sometimes including the guest speakers. I tend to travel solo and always request to join a large table for 8. I will be on-board again next February for the first time since covid so can report back on the state of play with the large group tables then. These tables tend to be made up of singles, couples and friends travelling toegther who are sociable enough to want to have dinner companions.

Table configuration depends on demand which is why, in my experience on QV,  the layout is fluid. At the moment, Covid has pushed many of us sociable types onto two tops and on our August trip, where there have been three large tables [the bubble, behind the desk and by the kitchen] within the area I can see only the kitchen one was a large table.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Table configuration depends on demand which is why, in my experience on QV,  the layout is fluid. At the moment, Covid has pushed many of us sociable types onto two tops and on our August trip, where there have been three large tables [the bubble, behind the desk and by the kitchen] within the area I can see only the kitchen one was a large table.

I think there were two on QM2 in the summer. Don’t know the makeup of course.

There always seems to be at least two large tables, but sometimes three.

A few years ago, all those in Q1's seemed to know each other and it turned out, were all bumped up to that category together (don't know why) and they had a table for 6 right at the front.

It was good for us as we were a lowly Q3 but had the best table almost with dual aspect views.

We also like the table at the back corner (75 on QV) as it's a mirror image of the front albeit it's a walk, but hey! who cares. You get quite a lot of space with nobody in touching distance.

45 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

There always seems to be at least two large tables, but sometimes three.

A few years ago, all those in Q1's seemed to know each other and it turned out, were all bumped up to that category together (don't know why) and they had a table for 6 right at the front.

It was good for us as we were a lowly Q3 but had the best table almost with dual aspect views.

We also like the table at the back corner (75 on QV) as it's a mirror image of the front albeit it's a walk, but hey! who cares. You get quite a lot of space with nobody in touching distance.

Table 4, when it exists, in the 'bubble' is our go to. 

Maybe next year once we feel confident with a large table again and of course, if it's configured. 

We were first timers in Queens Grill last month on QV, and felt it deserved the reputation of being the best restaurant at sea.  And yes, the Crepes Suzette were amazing.  Don’t hold back on breakfast though; we were able to get our smoked salmon Benedict with caviar on top, and also a great shirred egg, as off-menu requests.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Where is the 'bubble'? Do you mean the circular alcove by any chance?

That's the one. It didn't exist  pre Covid on two of our last three cruises otherwise, we'd have been seated there.

It wasn't there in August either but that wasn't an issue as we were two topping.

Edited by Victoria2
pte covid

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

That's the one. It didn't exist  pre Covid on two of our last three cruises otherwise, we'd have been seated there.

It wasn't there in August either but that wasn't an issue as we were two topping.

I'm glad that someone else likes that spot - no-one ever mentions that table but it happens to also be my favourite. I haven't cruised since covid started but shortly prior to that there was a large table in that spot on Queen Elizabeth. I'm hoping to find myself back there again in February on a large and congenial table.

Edited by LittleFish1976
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm glad that someone else likes that spot - no-one ever mentions that table but it happens to also be my favourite. I haven't cruised since covid started but shortly prior to that there was a large table in that spot on Queen Elizabeth. I'm hoping to find myself back there again in February on a large and congenial table.

We're two topping it again for our next outing and have selected 'our' table but have high hopes of 'the bubble' for eight again one day as it's in a wonderful position.

Enjoy.

🙂

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I had a cozy table for two in the Queen's Grill. However, we had no problem socializing with adjoining tables. In fact, we became fast friends.

If you do not get the table size you desire, keep that award winning smile on your face and don't be afraid to start a conversation. You will have new friends in no time!

• Like 4