Currently on Riviera Lisbon to Rome

clairol

Julian,

Yes they did have a faux leather card case, at least that is what we had this past April on Marina.   Not sure what is provided at this time.  I would not expect to see everyone walking around with a lanyard around their neck and a hole punched in your card, just not O’s style. Actually when swiping my card to get in the door, there was no need to remove the card from the case, just pass the case by the door lock. 
Your first O cruise, you will love it.  We are on Marina in January in South America so our excitement is starting to build. 😁  Feel free to ask any questions of the Oceania family because the people who post here are very helpful.  Lots of new O cruisers and you will find it difficult to go back to other lines after you have experienced Oceania. Not inexpensive but amazing Value.

Ciao, Mauibabes 

Yep, already packed my fine, faux leather card case 😁👍 ORV, maybe you could add your box of cases to our eBay, “white” market site. The one where we will be selling Oceania blanket towels, bathrobes, needle point kits, and maybe some Big O Points, or O ankle socks and other cool stuff. We could get quite a sale going.  
OK, I kinda lost it for a minute.  My thumbs  went berserk. 😇

Mauibabes

45 minutes ago, NeedToChill said:

did they used to provide a leather card holder for use carrying your ship ID card around?

--Julian

Julian,

Here is a comparison - top shows what was previously given. Bottom shows what was given this time. hope this helps! I’m sure you’ll have a fabulous time on your trip in March. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
image.thumb.jpeg.49ef1932cc3f099944fbccaed7fb65e3.jpeg

21 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

I would not expect to see everyone walking around with a lanyard around their neck and a hole punched in your card, just not O’s style.

Mauibabes,

I would agree that lanyards around the neck with cards are typically not seen on Oceania. But I have to say on this cruise. They were absolutely everywhere. Very different crowd. When I have more time - busy readjusting to reality and playing catch up after being away - to compose my thoughts and I’ll shoot some out. 

Oh No, please, don’t tell me the Carnival/Princess crowd is storming the gangplanks with their lanyards in their move to Oceania.  
I recall some tan leather card cases years ago as well.  Darn supply chain issues, thought Joe fixed all that months ago. 
Ciao, Mauibabes 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

The next knock at the door was the Housekeeping Manager and down the hall came the maintenance man carrying a “new safe” which was promptly installed.  Not in a PH either. 
Just saying, give the staff the chance to fix what is wrong. 

Mauibabes 

Exactly

so wait to see if the ice bucket is full or not

I have never had a problem  so never needed to instruct  housekeeping on how to do their job

Just saying

Julian,

Yes they did have a faux leather card case, at least that is what we had this past April on Marina.   Not sure what is provided at this time.  I would not expect to see everyone walking around with a lanyard around their neck and a hole punched in your card, just not O’s style. Actually when swiping my card to get in the door, there was no need to remove the card from the case, just pass the case by the door lock. 

In the past you had to insert the key card in the lock  I guess things are different post covid??

I usually put the card holder away as they are too fiddly to get the card out when you need it

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Oh No, please, don’t tell me the Carnival/Princess crowd is storming the gangplanks with their lanyards in their move to Oceania.  
I recall some tan leather card cases years ago as well.  Darn supply chain issues, thought Joe fixed all that months ago. 
Ciao, Mauibabes 

OH NO

Horrors  I have an Oceania lanyard  & have had reception punch a hole in my key card 🙄

I will now be mistaken for the great Mass market  cruiser crowd

The great ones  will be horrified

• Haha 1

Ciao, Mauibabes 

We have some of the tan ones, or did I mention that in a previous post on this thread. My wife prefers it, she likes things that are different, maybe why she's married to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

We have some of the tan ones, or did I mention that in a previous post on this thread. My wife prefers it, she likes things that are different, maybe why she's married to me. 

Different or weird 🙃😁😉

5 hours ago, clairol said:

Julian,

Here is a comparison - top shows what was previously given. Bottom shows what was given this time. hope this helps! I’m sure you’ll have a fabulous time on your trip in March. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
image.thumb.jpeg.49ef1932cc3f099944fbccaed7fb65e3.jpeg

Mauibabes,

I would agree that lanyards around the neck with cards are typically not seen on Oceania. But I have to say on this cruise. They were absolutely everywhere. Very different crowd. When I have more time - busy readjusting to reality and playing catch up after being away - to compose my thoughts and I’ll shoot some out. 

We're on the Marina now and have the old style folder shown above.  Yes the state room door unlocking system works through the card holder. Most of the time Marina is using facial recognition cameras when leaving and returning to the ship. But the card is still needed at security points in the terminals... Even scanned to operate turnstiles, hard to do that scan if on the lanyard around the neck.

Regarding the ice bucket, they don’t fill it unless you ask them to. I’m currently on board in a PH. 
The card holders are a sturdy plastic. We haven’t had any problems with them. No need to take it out of the holder. Just tap it on the pad of the cabin door lock. 

13 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Regarding the ice bucket, they don’t fill it unless you ask them to. I’m currently on board in a PH. 
The card holders are a sturdy plastic. We haven’t had any problems with them. No need to take it out of the holder. Just tap it on the pad of the cabin door lock. 

cut backs I guess🤔

Oh dear.  I use a lanyard on board - a nice one from Etsy.  But I seldom have pockets, don't like having to carry around the card or case with card, and don't need to have anything much with me while on the ship.   And I don't  leave it anywhere or lose it, and it's easy to just hold out for scanning when I go off the ship. Sorry if I look like a Carnival or Princess passenger.   I thought the best way to identify  those people was by watching for people who served themselves on the Terrace. 

On Sirena in May, we were given the usual faux leather card holder. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Oh dear.  I use a lanyard on board - a nice one from Etsy.  But I seldom have pockets, don't like having to carry around the card or case with card, and don't need to have anything much with me while on the ship.   And I don't  leave it anywhere or lose it, and it's easy to just hold out for scanning when I go off the ship. Sorry if I look like a Carnival or Princess passenger.   I thought the best way to identify  those people was by watching for people who served themselves on the Terrace. 

I have a coach lanyard purchased many years ago which I have forgotten to bring on every previous cruise, but today I have it in my carry-on luggage packed and ready to go.
I leave this afternoon to go to an Austin airport hotel. An early flight tomorrow morning to Los Angeles to embark on Regent Mariner. I booked a guarantee lowest level state room at a 25% single supplement. I noticed yesterday that my stateroom has been assigned. A very nice location.

But before this adventure can begin, I have to take a quiz and an exam for my Italian III college course! Che terribile!

13 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Oh dear.  I use a lanyard on board - a nice one from Etsy.  But I seldom have pockets, don't like having to carry around the card or case with card, and don't need to hCave anything much with me while on the ship.   And I don't  leave it anywhere or lose it, and it's easy to just hold out for scanning when I go off the ship. Sorry if I look like a Carnival or Princess passenger.   I thought the best way to identify  those people was by watching for people who served themselves on the Terrace. 

Actually the "serve yourself in the Terrace" mentality does not just come from "Carnival or Princess types." We just returned from our first Regent cruise in several years. So interesting that Oceania is so strict about crew served food...no self service in the Terrace, while the entire equivalent buffet area on Regent is entirely self serve. Other than Ice cream service, you grab the tongs/spoons and serve yourself. Ironic IMHO that NCL's most upscale luxury product has an entirely self service buffet, while its mere premium product😁 is so strict about no self service.

18 minutes ago, edgee said:

Actually the "serve yourself in the Terrace" mentality does not just come from "Carnival or Princess types." We just returned from our first Regent cruise in several years. So interesting that Oceania is so strict about crew served food...no self service in the Terrace, while the entire equivalent buffet area on Regent is entirely self serve. Other than Ice cream service, you grab the tongs/spoons and serve yourself. Ironic IMHO that NCL's most upscale luxury product has an entirely self service buffet, while its mere premium product😁 is so strict about no self service.

Maybe  they do not want to upset the elite passengers 😉

On 10/31/2022 at 5:51 PM, GeezerCouple said:

DO contact the Special Needs desk sooner rather than later.

I had forgotten this, and we've not needed it personally, but I've suggested telling Special Needs and also asking if there might be a steward (or butler/etc.) who is especially good with <whatever>.  They may reply automatically that "all" of their employees are equally good, on principle.  But perhaps they'll notify the ship, and if a particular steward could be moved across the hall or something... It's worth asking.

I got this idea when someone mentioned telling Special Needs (I think it was a different cruise line) about an elderly person in their family who only spoke Language A.  And they ended up with at butler who spoke Language A. 🙂   Would that same butler have had those assigned suites anyway?  We'll never know, but it certainly didn't hurt!

Point is, as always, others can't help make things work better if they don't know what might be helpful.

GC

Very good advice, thank you. I had no idea that there was a Special Needs desk or service. Our son is considered highly functioning, and our daily life is so full of exceptions and accommodations that we don't  always think of him as a person with special needs. He has adapted to many aspects of life that may not necessarily make sense to him that we sometimes forget about his exceptionalities.
As for the language question, my first language is French and we had a lovely experience at Jacques where our server was French. He was delighted to speak French with some guests and it truly enhanced our experience and his. Heck, I was even able to chat in French with the man himself, when we took a Jacques Pépin cruise a few years ago and he was on board. In that instance too, the pleasure of having a conversation in our first language was a mutual pleasure that I will not soon forget.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edgee said:

Well I would think it's because their clientele doesn't have germs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

My lanyard is not from Etsy or Coach but from Dollar General - does this make me a bad person?

I guess anyone that wears  a lanyard on Oceania  is  not worthy of the elite  members here

even is it has Oceania on  it 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

My lanyard is not from Etsy or Coach but from Dollar General - does this make me a bad person?

Hope you did not overpay! Dollar General is currently under investigation for repeated over charging at the register 😁

• Haha 2